Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carving by hmc

Pages: 1 11 replies

H
hmc posted on Fri, Feb 3, 2006 8:01 PM

Here's some progress pics of my first carving!!!

Material: Hebel
Equip: Angle grinder & dremel

Note: After reading hewey's post about how dusty hebel was, I ofcourse got the eye, nose and mouth masks ready... but my husband also shoved some ear protection, a hair cover and overalls on me. Needless to say, I look a real treat :D

The dust and safety gear:

The Tiki taking form....

Stay tuned...

MD

Looks real good HMC...I do 50% of my carvings with a grinder....yours looks a LOT newer.
So.....what the hell is HEBEL?

J

Yeah! Another angle grinder jockey! Looks good
JP

H
hewey posted on Sat, Feb 4, 2006 4:38 AM

Cool sutff! That looks great! Yeh, the hebel is great fun to play with but real messy. Its known in the states as AAC (Aero Autoclave Concrete - basically light concrete with heaps of air bubbles in it).

Its got a really clean look to it already - nice one! Make sure you coat it in concrete sealer before it goes outside. Beleive me, one of mine split in 2!

L
Loki posted on Sat, Feb 4, 2006 4:54 AM

Looks really nice. All with rotating tools. Steady hand indeed. Keep it up.

Check this out for AAC carving info
Click here

R

You rock !! I have tried to find AAC here with no luck at all.
Cant wait to see this one done

and kudos to your husband for making you so fashonable while carving.

Very nice work, I've been trying to locate some AAC as well. So far nada, I read one post I think it was from Aarons Akua he seems to be in tune with this stuff.
Keep up the good work,

Good morning hmc nice going on that tiki looking forward to seeing more.

H
hmc posted on Sun, Feb 5, 2006 12:46 PM

Thanks all..

Although this stuff is like butter to carve through, my body is still aching 2 days later! Especially my glutes and hamstrings from the position I was standing in.

I liked being able to see over the top of the piece but my body isn't used to staying in that position for so long! I guess I'll get steel buttocks like Jean-Claude Van Damme by the time I'm finished :lol:

Mr.Dale: Hebel is aerated concrete and grinds away like butter! I couldn't believe how easy it was.

Loki: Thanks for the link to the AAC carving info, it's a very good thread.

rodeotiki: And I can't find wood to carve here! I'll have to look harder and you should try to source this stuff too, it's magic.

tfisherart: Again, no hebel/AAC! Wow, I know of 2 places that sells this hebel stuff in Melbourne but so far no luck on the wood / logs...

H
harro posted on Tue, Feb 7, 2006 5:31 AM

great start hmc, can't wait to see how it turns out...

also great to see the fairer species not afraid to get down and dirty with the mean power tools..

regarding wood: i sourced a stack of logs by just ringing up local tree loppers and taking them away from them before they got grinded.. or visit their rubbish yard.

good luck!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 3:48 AM

Hey, that tiki looks just like a cool mug I saw someone on here producing...

B
Bete posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 2:05 PM

It's looking very cool.

Pages: 1 11 replies