Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Need help with carving origin

Pages: 1 4 replies

TB

The hubby and I purchased this coffee table 3 or 4 years ago through Ebay. We had it shipped to us from Washington DC, but have no idea about the wood (teak?) and the carvings. We love it and would like to know more about it. The photos aren't the best, but I actually saved them from the original listing on Ebay. The seller couldn't tell us anything about it. The carvings look hand chiseled and seem African or Polynesian, but we just have no idea. We're hoping that someone will be able to help us out. Probably not important, but there is writing underneath that says "Wayman room 205 Will pick up 10/19/64." If you could help us out with anything related to it, we would really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch!!

TB

Here are some photos taken tonight with a better camera. The "white haze" is only visible in the photos. Thanks again, Kim

T

The interwoven pattern of lines reminds me of celtic knots. The detail within the lines looks more like one of the knuckle-dusters on page one:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=17787&forum=7&start=0
In any case, pretty cool looking table. Anyone else have anything on this?

TD

i'm really looking at the stacked 5 band rattan set! one of my favorite sets.yours?

Same person (TikiBar), new name here.
Yes that is our set. The hubby and I have a bit of an addiction to vintage rattan. I should clarify we have an addiction to "bargain vintage rattan." We're both teachers so we definitely live on a budget. Anyway, we got the set on Ebay about a year ago for a steal. Came with a 4 piece sofa, two club chairs, a lounge chair, two side tables and an ottoman for $550. What a deal!! We almost felt guilty. The previous owner was in the military and was stationed in Hawaii during WWII. He brought it back with him when the war was over. We have a lot of vintage rattan, much of it in storage until we find a bigger place. If you would like, I could post some more photos. Let me know.

Pages: 1 4 replies