Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Vintage cocktails and cuisine (okolehao and MSG)

Pages: 1 7 replies

H

Picked up this great book on ebay several years ago. Being a new member, I thought I'd share.

Has some really good recipes like chicken lobster supreme in pineapple shells, volcano salad, Joan's polynesian ham loaf (with Rice Krispies as an ingredient!!!!), Balinese broiled chicken and the familiar Kalua pig wrapped in banana leaves. Also has some sushi and sashimi recipes. The food sounds good-only tried a few drinks so far.

Some of the recipes (food) call for MSG-you don't see that in cookbooks anymore. Most of the drinks call for okolehao, again not often seen these days.

It has some pretty cool sketches of tikis, leis, flowers, fish, baskets, bowls, etc. throughout the book also. The book is from 1964. Here's a few pages-need a recipe-email me. Sorry about the 'wop-sided' scans and I hope they're readable.

K

Yep, great book. I picked up a copy on Kauai of all places a few years back. The tiki graphics are great, and the recipes are fairly authentic. I recommend it highly to the home tiki chef.

Ahu

A

I have that cookbook, too!

I have a pretty large collection of vintage (mostly mid-century) cookbooks. I'm working on a paper on Polynesian pop cuisine - particularly as it relates to BBQing. Here are a few images scanned from my collection. Not all are tiki-related, some are just vintage outdoor cooking...I can cite the actual cookbooks (and the recipes!) for anyone interested.

This dessert is called "tropical parfait"

This menu is called the "Hawaiian special"

apologies for the crooked scan

I actually wanna do this at our next luau/grill out - mini table-top grills made from filling a flower pot with coals!

From Trader Vic's Pacific Island Cookbook - 1968

I particularly love the giant dog sitting in the background, resisting the giant hunks of meat all over the room.

T

I love this picture! Is it indoors, or out? Check out the triangular grill on the freeform firepit! And the steaks are immense! I want one!

Thanks for sharing those.

Wonderful. Thanks!

H

Those pictures are fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing them. Nothing quite says "sophisticated savage" like a man crouching over his raw meat atop his fire, while wearing a dress shirt and tie.

Neat!
And note that those two bottom steaks are just stting on the wood coffee table - that's odd

L

On 2006-05-02 14:32, Tikiwahine wrote:
Neat!
And note that those two bottom steaks are just sitting....

as bottom steaks, what else would they be doing?

... is that like, uh.. rump roast?

Pages: 1 7 replies