Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Oceanic Arts Moved...

Pages: 1 7 replies

Oceanic Arts Moved... Me. After aborting a trip to Oceanic Arts when visiting LA two years ago, I finally made it last Saturday. What a completely fulfilling experience. I approached the entrance with a sense of awe and respect, but mustered enough courage to go ahead and introduce myself to Bob and Leroy. Both went way out of their way to make me feel welcome, showing me around, talking stories of the old days and how things have been lately, and doing a last minute buffing job on a Bora-Bora Post so I could bring it home on the airplane. Afterwards I went to the Tiki-Ti and was commenting on how fantastic the whole place was, and a couple of regulars confessed they had kept meaning to go, but hadn't.
GET OVER THERE S. CAL PEOPLE! You have the Bishop Museum of Polynesian Pop in your backyard.
Also, will someone please send Bob and Leroy an official invite to the Hukilau's 50th anniversary. Since they basically decorated the place, it would be nice to honor them this year.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-02-12 14:24 ]

S

I tried to get them to come in 2004 and they basicly said they were way too busy thanks to all the Poly Pop going around. Surely they can take a break sometime.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:33 ]

Hukilau is October 5, 6, 7, 8 (Thurs to Sun).

Getting Bob and Leroy there is an AWESOME idea.

Christie and I will definitely look into it.

J

On 2006-02-13 10:38, tikibars wrote:

Cool! :D Are these dates cast in stone? I've been watching http://www.thehukilau.com/ for dates and this is the first I've heard. I'm so there and hopefully bringing some members of the New England tribe with me

On 2006-02-13 10:38, tikibars wrote:

Mahalo James. Don't know if they can come, but I hope they can swing it.
KG

They received a personal phone call from me last year thanking them for their involvement in the Hukilau auction and of course an invite. Of course, I'll give them a shout this year and stress how we would love to see them there. I think that would really make the event.

Great suggestion Geoff - I'll let you know how it goes!

What has always struck me about Oceanic Arts is the welcoming attitude always displayed by the proprietors. A smile leads to chit chat leads to stories you'll never forget.

On my last trip to OA before leaving LA, Mr. Van Oosting and I were chatting about tiki, and he took me back to a storage room in which there were hundreds of plates, platters and other dishware from tiki restaurants past and present. He showed me a few particularly choice pieces (from Trader Vic's primarily) that were out of this world.

Pages: 1 7 replies