Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Is it bad form to Decant?

Pages: 1 3 replies

I've always liked having a house malt in a pretty crystal bottle for guests. (it might be Ardbeg, it might be Trader Joe's Finlaggan depending on how things are going)

This is a different sort of decanting I'm talking about...I often put travel booze in unbreakable bottles, and when I like a bottle, like some of the cool agave shaped tequila bottles from Mexico, I refill them with what ever I have. (which draws ridicule from my wife)

Does anybody else suffer from the same dillemma? There are several bottles which I really like, but often the hooch in them is undrinkable (some piscos) or out of my price range. I don't re-fill to impress anybody as to what I drink...it's aesthetic or in the case of plastic, it's for safty, and to secure my hooch arrives.

bad form? perhaps.

tacky? probably.

But remember, the difference between what is laughed at and what is trend setting is all in the attitude of the person doing it. Think of Seinfeld episode 89, where George eats his Snickers bar with a knife and fork... when he is questioned about the odd behavior he responds with, "How do you eat it? With your hands?" The result is everyone picking up the habit. If it's what feels right, I say go for it.

-Z

A couple of weeks ago I re-filled my empty Trader Vic's macadamia nut liqueur bottle with Kahana Royale Mac. Nut Liqueur. The Trader Vic's bottle looks like a decanter, and has a nice ship on the front. I think I'm just in my decision.

I actually do this regularly with varying degrees of alteration in the product.
What the hell does that mean, do you ask?

Well... I have my regular bar in the livingroom, then I have my 'back' bar in the garage. Trying to be cost effective as much as possible, I buy 1.75L bottles of as much booze as I can. However this does cause a problem as they don't fit in my bar. I keep "regular" sized bottles (up to 1L) in my bar and keep them topped off with the larger bottles I keep in the garage.

I try to keep vintage bottles like Bacardi and Myers, as well as cooler looking bottles for my 'well' tequila etc.. inside my bar because they just look better.

I also have a few vodka bottles in my freezer (here is ther the varying degree of alteration takes place) that have pleased even my most discerning guest. Basically I buy some cheap vodka, run it through a Britta water filter a dozen times, pour it in to the Stoli, Absolut and Skyy bottles that live in the freezer and everyone is happy. SO far no one has been able to tell the difference. Now don't get me wrong, I do keep at least a real bottle of Grey Goose in there for special occasions.

I also reuse/refill Trader Vic's bottles when I make more simple syrup and other mixers.

SO... I don't see anything wrong with it! It can make a good show, and if people don't taste the difference then there isn't a problem. Although I do believe in honesty... if someone askes for something specific or asks me about the bottle, I will tell them the truth. Every response I've gotten with the truth has been extremely positive.

-T.J.

P.S. Does anyone have any vintage booze bottles laying around? I'm interested if you do.

Pages: 1 3 replies