Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Yo Disney fans! Cool photos!

Pages: 1 7 replies

Found this link out there, and thought some of y'all would dig 'em.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60585948@N00/sets/1499931/

[ Edited by: Selector Lopaka 2006-02-13 21:13 ]

M

Oh, HELL yeah! Too good. Many thanks.

In appreciation I posted a few more for you all,
slides of old Disneyland...

http://www.simnia.com/places/USA/CA/OC/A/DL/DL1/

...and postcards of Marineland...

http://www.simnia.com/places/USA/CA/LAC/PV/ML/ML1/

No thumbnails, though.
Enjoy.

D

cool! Thanks for posting. I would love to see any vintage shots from DisneyWORLD in Florida. Since 1973 I think I have been there at least 10 or more times and I don't have any photos. Anybody out there have any?

M

Here are a few of WDW from the same source as the ones I just posted:

http://www.simnia.com/places/USA/FL/OC/WDW/WDW1/

Caveat: The file names on many of my DL/WDW pics are inaccurate in both title and date, I'm told.

I have plenty more I've taken, but it would take days (at best) to find them.

F
foamy posted on Wed, Feb 15, 2006 5:26 AM

Good, good stuff. Those kind of photos work on me. The Dumbo ride photo is a piece of art. The rest, make me wish I was there, or at least in that era. The living had to have been good then. But then, that's probably just me romanticizing what never really was or will be. But it suits me to think so. Alas.

M

The living had to have been good then. But then, that's probably just me romanticizing what never really was or will be.

I firmly believe things were better back then, in the ways that matter most, as you can tell my my earlier ramblings in the Bilge section:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12302&forum=13&16

It shouldn't take more than a walk around Disneyland nowadays to see the peeling paint, decayed fake rocks along the submarine lagoon, an empty submarine lagoon with only ducks and trash floating in it, the removed Skyway, the empty Peoplemover/Rocket Rods track, the new simulator rides based on popular scifi movies that substitute for real vehicles with educational themes, the horrible kiddie show on the same Tomorrowland stage that used to feature classy and famous rock/pop groups, kids wandering around twirling those stupid light toys, most of the serious postcards of attractions removed in favor of a very limited selection of character postcards, endless kids pampered with being strollered around instead of getting real exercise, etc. to see that things have noticably declined in Disneyland. I've spent less time at WDW, but considering the monorail transport to the parking lot was broken down the last time I visited, and their sub ride was also removed, I doubt WDW is doing much better. In fact, the only reason I have time to post here so often is because I was illegally fired from my last job, with fabricated evidence, lies, ignored medical evidence, etc., so now I'm out of work and have to hire a lawyer to slap the bastards back with no job income. It's been that way ever since I graduated 5 years ago, in fact: problems I'd never had my entire life until recently. I maintain that society is in serious decline, especially in ethics and values. Give me the past anyday, and let me stroll around the theme parks of yesteryear.

D

I doubt WDW is doing much better. In fact, the only reason I have time to post here so often is because I was illegally fired from my last job, with fabricated evidence, lies, ignored medical evidence, etc., so now I'm out of work and have to hire a lawyer to slap the bastards back with no job income. It's been that way ever since I graduated 5 years ago, in fact: problems I'd never had my entire life until recently. I maintain that society is in serious decline, especially in ethics and values. Give me the past anyday, and let me stroll around the theme parks of yesteryear.

I was at WDW summer before last and it was still in pretty good shape. Things had changed since the 70s and 80s when I went there as a kid. As you pointed out: no more '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' submarine ride, also no more 'Mr. Toad's Wild Ride', and one of my all time faves, the Eastern Air Lines sponsored 'If You Had Wings' also gone forever. Damn..that was a good one, I still wish they had that there. The Mexico ride in Epcot I think was designed by the same people as 'If You Had Wings' so that was at least a nice consolation prize. I went on that twice and thought about 'If You Had Wings' so I didn't feel so bad. The overall look of Tomorrowland at WDW now has some lame Buck Rogers type design to it and it just looks awkward like they just tacked the new decor on top of the old. I'm happy to say that alot of the classic rides and attractions have been left alone, as they should be. 'Pirates of the Carribean', The Haunted House, Peter Pan's Flight, Snow White's Adventures, and the Hall of Presidents are the same as they always were. At least the staff at WDW is smart enough to know that the kids like me that visited 20 and 30 years ago want to come back as adults and go on the old rides they remember so they leave them alone. Space Mountain had a few minor tweaks to update it into the 21st Century, but it's still pretty much the same.

As far as your issues with society being in decline. Can't say I can argue with you there especially on the ethics and values side. You're not alone, I am also experiencing problems that I never really had until about 5 years ago. In fact I never thought for a moment that I would have such issues to deal with. All I can say is think about who our...ahem..leaders were 6 or 7 years ago, and think about who they are now. For my money therein lies the source of the problem(s). I wish you much luck in resolving your issues. It's always darkest before the dawn..or at least that's what they tell me. But anyway...Disneyworld is still a great place. It's probably the best and most potent type of 'drug' you can find. Talk about escapism! I think I forgot everything after three days in The Magic Kingdom/Epcot. Would love to go back ASAP.

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2006-02-15 20:39 ]

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2006-02-15 20:42 ]

Now this brings back some great memories.

Pages: 1 7 replies