Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Step Right Up...and buy Tom Waits' high school yearbook

Pages: 1 13 replies

T

Wow, Tom Waits was even uglier as a kid than he is now.

No wonder he became an musician, he'd have never gotten laid otherwise.

Good thing he did (become a musician, not get laid).

What a genius!

I have a high school yearbook with Harrison Ford in it (as Harry Ford).

He was in the A/V club!

Tikibars,

I saw one of those Harrison Ford yearbooks sell for over $500 last year. I've had great luck selling yearbooks myself on eBay. If you can track down the ones with celebrities you can make big money, but even the generic ones from the 1950s or earlier can make you $50 if an old class member happens to be hunting for it, or it's got great nostalgic pictures. I found three from a Honolulu highschool from the 1950s this weekend but the person hosting the garage sale decided last minute not to sell them too me. To sentimental. Dang!

Sabu

our yearbook staff room had about 100 books from local schools, one of which was from Madonna's senior year at Rochester Adams (I think) H.S.

I don't know what I was thinking, but I somehow managed not to swipe it. That would take a nice chunk out of the mortgage payment about now.

-Z

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified 2006-02-14 16:51 ]

Here are some auction photos from a 1960, Gardena, CA highschool yearbook I sold for over $50. It was the great pictures inside that did it. The prom queen takes my breath away. To make her even more perfect, she was captain of one of the women's sports teams and in the drama club as well.

:up: "The Howdy Hop". What a great dance theme.

:down: This 1975 yearbook is just as great in it's own way. Oh how I remember the highschool girls dressing like the girl in the first photo. It was a good time to be a highschool boy in Southern California!

:up: And dig the prom king's cool jeans.

Sabu

Very cool, Sabu. Yes, SoCal high school in the 70s was the best (Pacifica High School Class of '81)

That last pic reminds me of Charlize Theron's character from Arrested Development. :)

On 2006-02-14 15:28, tikibars wrote:

I have a high school yearbook with Harrison Ford in it (as Harry Ford).

He was in the A/V club!

I actually went to the same high school!!! Maine Township east in park ridge.....son of svenghoulie also went to school there...

My college roommate's mom went to Beverly Hills HS and graduated the same year as Tom Selleck. We looked at the yearbook one time. He looked like a young Tom Selleck...
(This is the same college roommate who's brother was engaged to Nicole Ritchie)

T

Sabu, those 70s pics bring back memories!

Helix High, La Mesa, CA, class of '79!!

My yearbook pics:

T

On 2006-02-15 15:23, thejab wrote:

Duuuuude! Year-what?

T

On 2006-02-15 15:39, Tiki-bot wrote:

Duuuuude! Year-what?

It's Chongolio!!

I

I have also purchased a handful of past yearbooks over the years. I love it when you see an image and caption that would today upset many people.

This picture is from some Kansas college yearbook, early 1950's. The caption reads "Whistles, wolfcalls, and loud counting greet a pretty party of the first part as she strolls by the Green Hall steps." Does anyone know what 'loud counting' refers to?

My favorite yearbook of all time though, is the 1960 Drake University Yearbook from Des Moines, Iowa. What makes it special is that all of the group photos are done with people placed in interesting positions, and shot from neat angles, rather than simply lining people up and doing a shot. Here is a sample....

The same yearbook shows a sense of humor too. I don't know what the story is with this Willie Windsor guy ....

The most bizarre images are from a two page spread of the science department, where they present some pictures of students dissecting dead cats. The following picture of a pretty woman in an argyle sweater covers an entire 13" x 9" page ....

That same Drake yearbook had a couple pages dedicated to beatnik poetry - Drake University must have been an oasis of alternative Midwestern hipness in 1959/60.

Vern

M

Sabu, those 70s pics bring back memories!

Helix High, La Mesa, CA, class of '79!!

My yearbook pics:

Wow, you went to high school with The Hebrew Hammer!

And Wendy Malick of "Just Shoot Me".

Pages: 1 13 replies