Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Cargo Cults still going strong in S. Pacific

Pages: 1 6 replies

Here is a link to an article on smithonian.com about a cargo cult that is still alive in the South Pacific:

In John We Trust.

Hmm, I amy start thinking of a career change!

Damn you Chongolio... You beat me to it! :wink:
Well, Happy John Frum Day to ya' anyway.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Look to Author Christopher Moore for Cargo Cults in his very funny book "Island of the Sequined Love Nun"

Damn. I hate when that happens. Thanks for the redirect Tikibot and the book referral Hellotiki. I don't think I have ever herad of Cargo cults until I came across that article.

M

Why doesn't some millionaire change his name to John Frum, go visit their island, and become a god?

MT

Funny thing, I was under the weather this past weekend, and had to pay the doctor a visit. The Smithsonian magazine that had this article was in the witch doctor's lobby! And of course I read as much as I could, which made the long delay in the waiting room seem too short for once - in fact, I was reading that article right until the doc walked into the exam room - and then I showed her the article to boot!

Cool thing was, this island is Vanuatu, which hosted one of the recent "Survivor" seasons. God help us if a Richard Hatch or Jeff Probst cargo cult forms. I couldn't wait to get back to TC to do a search and then post about this, and then I find my good o' buddy Chongolio beat me to the punch! I still find it oddly amusing how many interests we all share here on TC, whether tiki or not. Diddle-iddle-ooooo!!!

Pages: 1 6 replies