Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Sci-Fi costume help wanted

Pages: 1 9 replies

I have to be the master of ceremonies at a sci-fi burlesque event and i want to have the best costume anybody got any ideas about knocking up a good B-movie style space outfit? Preferably without a helmet so i can use a microphone.

Three words:

ASK PURPLE JADE!!

She did up her (now dearly-departed) home in a FAB sci-fi thing a few years back. And she looked great to boot (duh!).

Vintage Girl could also be uber helpful, I bet.

F

Tin foil, duct tape and a can of silver spray paint are all you need to live in the future today!

This has a helmet, but you don't have to put a flace plate on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Monster

RO-MAN! From Robot Monster! All you need is a gorilla siut and a helmet.

Tenticals from old hoses, old mop heads (washed of course)for hair -(Cousin It).Bubble wrap is awesome for getting popped by the pretties.

What about using 70's era Bootsy Collins, Commodores, Earth, Wind & Fire or glam rock outfits for inspiration?

atomic,
Check out a construction site and/or store and look for some of that shiny ventalation pipe for your arms, should be real tacky.

Here's a guy who made his own costume http://www.tronguy.net/TRONcostume/ to look like a character from Tron. This link was sent to me ages ago from a friend who wrote, "You have to see this to believe it."

TTT

Hey TikiTikiTavi, that was hilarious! I'm sure Syd Mead would be proud.

Anyway, just chiming in with a suggestion for space costumes in general:
For men—it' amazing what can be done with a jumpsuit.
For women—it's amazing what can be done with a bodysuit and tights.
Take one or the other and just start building on that. If you look at pics of the costumes in Forbidden Planet, the guys basically wear jumpsuits with a utility belt and some extra design elements like padded triangular epaulets (which can be made from some fabric-covered foam and attached to the suit.) A friend of mine also added a home-made badge made up to look like a tiny electronic control panel. (It was just painted and had different colors of electrical tape on it.) Oh, and don't forget the boots.

As for my own fun with the future:

SpaceGirl

ElectroGirl

CyberGirl: created by our own Atomic Cocktail (Note the memory card accents—we took apart an old PC for this one. Actually, more memory cards have been added since this photo.)

Good luck and please post the results for us to see!

[ Edited by: vintagegirl 2006-02-20 01:20 ]

On 2006-02-15 14:53, Formikahini wrote:

Vintage Girl could also be uber helpful, I bet.
Was I right or was I right!?! WOW, Vintage Girl!!

I'm filing these great ideas away for, um, the future :wink:

Pages: 1 9 replies