Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Bar/outdoors FL climate

Pages: 1 18 replies

TD

I would appreciate any assistance/advice regarding constructing a small tiki bar in my backyard. It would need to be suitable to FL weather, which in the summer is very wet. The bar would be sheltered, however I'd like some direction regarding materials that will hold up in the humidity. If anyone has been down this road before and has some "lessons learned" I would truly appreciate your tips prior to the design phase. Thanks!

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:33 ]

T

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dc35b3127cce9722c0a6fa5900000016100AZtWLZm2ZsWJg

We'll see how she holds up this hurricane season .... live and learn... Largo, Fl

G

For those who aren't the build-it-yourself Bob Villa types (myself included), you can do what I did and buy a bar that is made to go outside. Mine looks like bamboo, but is really resin.

I know some people aren't partial to artificial materials, but hey, I want this thing to last. Mine is on my covered lanai, but still is subjected to plenty of Florida heat and humidity and occasionally gets rained on (when the rain is blowing sideways). It's easy to keep clean and should last a lifetime.

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2006-02-17 06:06 ]

TK

Check out this site.. tons of pics, ideas and info
http://www.tikikev.com

TD

Thank you to everyone. I hear you all! I'm glad y'all brought up hurricane season. The thing is that after Charlie ripped through central Florida, you saw all sorts of backyard decor out in the streets...including a large trampoline that ended up, high up, in a live oak. So, the idea of a resin bar, kept under cover might be the way to go...considering the weather and proximity to the ocean. Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts on this.

G

About those pesky hurricanes... mine comes apart so that I can easily (with help) remove the top half. Then the whole thing can be moved to a safe location. Yeah, I personally would be real hesitant to poor too much love and sweat into a custom built outdoor bar in Florida only to see it possibly get damaged (or worse) in a hurricane. Many people do, but for my money, this was a good compromise.

TD

Thanks...do you recall where you got yours? Thanks...

P
Pyro posted on Sat, Feb 18, 2006 7:34 PM

seems everyone has a tiki bar now. Just saw this one at target.

G

Got mine at Leaders Casual Furniture in Orlando. Here's the site, but I don't see the bar on there anywhere. http://www.leadersfurniture.com. It's around $900 plus the stools.

T

TikiDiva...

Let us know which way you go !!!!! TikiKev seems like he has an interesting book about tiki huts/bar, I myself have not read it.
Good Luck ...and don't forget to post pics !!!

M

I am a firm beleiver in using what I was taught to use while I lived on Guam for 4 years. Bamboo is tough stuff!!! So are palm fronds. I have modified the formula slightly because this structure will need to outlast me. I've been contructing mine now for over 2 years. I guess I have been sceptical of it's integrity (roof) until now. It has seen well over 90 MPH winds and multiple soakings and it stands firmly in place. It's made of larger scale lumber that is very well treated for outside exposure along with metal bindings/bracketry in the roof. I am now in the process of finishing the floor and the bar itself. I will thatch the roof when all is complete below. I'll post pics as well. Good luck

McTiki .... we look forward McPictures ..... aint this florida weather unreal !!!!!

M

It is sometimes unforgiving too. Yes, I will post many pics as I close in on "completed" The next part is easy enough, just need the time (and weather to cooperate) to do it.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:32 ]

TD

thanks again for all of your responses...excellent advice...

K

Chip and Andy,
Is there anyway you could post some more pictures of that bar. Especially up close showing the underneath the thatching. I am really interested in building something similiar. Did you build it yourselfs or have someone do it for you.

On 2006-02-23 10:05, kbgator wrote:
Chip and Andy,
Is there anyway you could post some more pictures of that bar. Especially up close showing the underneath the thatching. I am really interested in building something similiar. Did you build it yourselfs or have someone do it for you.

TikiLaLe roof is considerably more substantial than what we did (way cool by the way TikiLaLe
).

I actually designed and built the whole thing in a couple of weekends and made the roof on the light side because it is next to the pool. If a hurricane decided the roof needed to be removed, it would be small wood instead of something too big that would crack the pool on splashdown. The center beam is 2 2x8's and the supports are 2x6 with wood lath strips (1x1's) between the stingers to hold the thatch in place. I will get a few specific shots of the underside tonight and post for you.

Pages: 1 18 replies