Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Banana Rum

Pages: 1 19 replies

Does anyone know some good cocktails with banana rum? Or maybe some other cocktails that would do well with banana rum replacing some normal or other flavored rum?

G

Sorry, can't help you there. According to Grog Log and Intoxica, the only flavored rum the author found any use for was coconut rum. Although I guess you could always toss it in with any drink that features creme de banana for an extra banana punch.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-02-18 09:42 ]

Hey guys, so I decided to go ahead and experiment, and I came up with a very good drink that tastes surprisingly complex for just 4-5 ingredients.

1 part banana rum
1 part coconut rum
2 parts orange juice
2 parts cranberry juice
1 dash grenadine

You could call it a more tiki version of Sex on the Beach.

H

On 2006-02-20 17:22, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
Hey guys, so I decided to go ahead and experiment, and I came up with a very good drink that tastes surprisingly complex for just 4-5 ingredients.

1 part banana rum
1 part coconut rum
2 parts orange juice
2 parts cranberry juice
1 dash grenadine

You could call it a more tiki version of Sex on the Beach.

Too sweet! Try adding some fresh lime juice to balance it out.

Try it like this and see what you think.

1 part banana rum
1 part coconut rum
2 parts orange juice
1 part cranberry juice
1 part fresh lime juice
1 dash grenadine

99 Bananas is a great version that adds more booze AND banana flavour.

Monkey Spunk anyone?

Blech, 99 Bananas is the exact stuff I wanna stay away from.

The stuff I bought is Cruzan's banana rum. I recommend it. The taste is a little subtle, but it actually tastes like banana, not banana candy.

I'll try the new recipe, Hakalugi, although the whole part of lime juice scares me. Did you mean sweetened lime juice?

I find the flavour of 99 bananas to be more banana-y than anything else I've tried.

Bols Banana Liqueur is also good, but it's flavour is much more subtle. It's also sweeter and more syrupy than 99 bananas.

I don't see where you get the 'candy' reference from. It's 99 proof fer chrisakes!

H

On 2006-02-23 14:49, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
Did you mean sweetened lime juice?

No, stay away from the sweetened stuff unless you're making a Gimlet, otherwise it's fresh squeezed only.

Have you picked up a copy of the Grog Log yet?

These are from The Mai Tai Exotic Cocktail Guide,
brought to you by The Montreal Tiki Appreciation Society

Yellow Bird

1 1/4 oz white rum
1/2 oz creme de banane
1/2 oz Galliano
2 oz pineapple juice
2 oz orange juice
1 oz lemon juice

Pour all ingredients in a tall zombie glass filled with cracked ice. stir.

Love Potion

1 1/2 oz light rum
1/4 oz cointreau
1/4 oz creme de banane
1/2 oz pineapple juice
3 oz milk
3 drops grenadine

Pour all ingredients in a tall zombie glass filled with crushed ice. stir.

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2006-02-23 19:47 ]

well here is my award winning monkey mai tai recipe:

1 oz mt gay extra old
1 oz cruzan single barrel
1 oz bols creme de banana
1/4 rock candy syrup
1/2 passion fruit syrup
1 oz fresh lime juice

perhaps you could use your banana rum instead of the creme de banana. or you could use only half an ounce of the cruzan single and half ounce of the banana rum.

Mmm..that sounds great drunken hat! I'm going to try one tonight.

Where do you guys buy the more fancy syrups like orgeat and passionfruit?

On 2006-02-27 19:58, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:

if you can't find them at your local booze shop you can get them on trader vic's website. just remember that the shipping will be the same on one bottle as it is for three.

On 2006-02-24 01:00, the drunken hat wrote:
well here is my award winning monkey mai tai recipe:

1 oz mt gay extra old
1 oz cruzan single barrel
1 oz bols creme de banana
1/4 rock candy syrup
1/2 passion fruit syrup
1 oz fresh lime juice

perhaps you could use your banana rum instead of the creme de banana. or you could use only half an ounce of the cruzan single and half ounce of the banana rum.

I had two of these last night. I used Cruzan and Appleton Estate Rums, as well as the 99 bananas instead of creme de banana. I added a bit of pineapple juice and had two nice big drinks. Very, very good.

My more punchy version would make a great party drink, heck, either of them would be a great crowd pleaser.

Thanks Mr. Hat!

On 2006-02-23 15:06, Tikiwahine wrote:
I don't see where you get the 'candy' reference from. It's 99 proof fer chrisakes!

Lime juice and lime (or "green") lolipops have very different flavors. This is also true for real bananas and banana-shaped Runts, for example, or banana-flavored popsicles.

Banana rum tastes like rum made from bananas, or at least rum with natural banana flavors. 99 Bananas tastes like strong alcohol with melted-down banana Runts. I refered to the flavor, not the sweetness.

J
Jawa posted on Thu, Mar 2, 2006 12:43 PM

I still buy Trader Vic's orgeat, but the next time I am out I am going to make my own based on simple syrup, almond extract, and lemon extract. The TV syrup just does not have enough taste vs. sweetness for me. Some coffee places have Monin Orgeat that is supposed to be good.

And for passionfruit, I raid the local asian market for REAL passionfruit concentrate. Ingredients = Passionfruit, water. And it is thick! Good stuff with a taste that blows away TV's passionfruit make-believe stuff...in my opinion at least.

BTW, Welcome to TikiCentral!

On 2006-03-02 11:48, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
Banana rum tastes like rum made from bananas, or at least rum with natural banana flavors. 99 Bananas tastes like strong alcohol with melted-down banana Runts. I refered to the flavor, not the sweetness.

Ahhhh, gotcha. I have the same feeling for cherry flavoured things, and don't care for that medicinal cough syrup cherry flavour.

I can't say I've ever tried banana flavoured rum, we just can't get it up here.

Yeah, cherry is also a good example.

T

On 2006-02-27 20:19, the drunken hat wrote:

if you can't find them at your local booze shop you can get them on trader vic's website. just remember that the shipping will be the same on one bottle as it is for three.

Try "fee brothers" - they're quite good. You must buy 12 bottles though. They have it all - fallernum, orgeat, marachino cherry juice - a lot of stuff.

They have a website, (Google FEE BROTHERS), then you call on the phone and tell them what you want, they ship it to you, you send them a check. It's pretty cool.

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-03-04 00:21 ]

Pages: 1 19 replies