Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

u'u? me me?

Pages: 1 18 replies

Here's a U'U I have been working on for our resident Parisian art connoissuer Virani..

T

WOw! What kind of wood? Do you use a power carver on this? That's some nice detail work there BK... great work!

Hi, Gap...A planer to shape the handle, large gouges for contours, palm tools for small details, a 1-inch Dremel disc sander for tight sanding and a tiny engraving burr for really tight linework.

F
foamy posted on Sat, Feb 18, 2006 7:10 AM

I just saw one of those yesterday on a museum web site and thought of you immediately. Now, here it is, you've already started on it. It's great looking already, I'm sure it'll be beautiful when you're done. Don't forget how you made it, I'm saving my money.

B

Awesome as Usual BK, Can't wait to see it totally finished.

T

"I just saw one of those yesterday on a museum web site"-quote

You keep this up and no one is going to know the difference between the old piece and your stuff. There is going to be a war club sitting underglass with a strange island clan's marking on the back, known as the BK tribe.

Thanks, guys. I hope they never get passed off dishonestly. But I did once have a "Bill and Ted" sort of fantasy of having a cult devoted to me after I'm gone... :wink:

J

Nice club, you did a fantastic job on it, as if you'd do anything less. I know how tough these are to do.

How are you doing on the fisherman?
JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-02-18 18:26 ]

MAN, that's beautiful work! I love the Marquesan stuff! Here's an old guy with one of those clubs!

Great job BK

Tongaroa will get finished as soon as I can get this club knocked out. He's the daylight project and the jewelry is the night one.

V

Thanks BK for making me this great u'u. I always loved those clubs, seeing some old in the isles and museum, books... and soon, I'll have my own. Even in the Marquesas, they were not making this art anymore to sell to tourist. I believe I'll be the proud owner of one of the finest "remaining" marquesan club.
Silver line, that's a great tiki. I saw him in Nuku Hiva, it's a modern interpretation of the old custom. They even have a huge sculpting school when they learn how to make a tiki...

B
Bete posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 2:03 PM

Great artwork, such great detail, awesome job on that.

B
Bete posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 2:03 PM

Great artwork, such great detail, awesome job on that.

KK

Hey bruddah BK!
Kicking okole as usual! The u'u is a masterpiece and Im sure the ancients would be proud of how well you did (mo bettah da kine cuz)! Awesome as usual...
Keep up the good work brah, No ka oi fo'shua!

Malama Pono!

Here it is..These U'U clubs were interesting...The U'U was as much a weapon as an ornamental object denoting membership in the Marquesan warrior caste, which was an upper or elite caste in this society. They were constantly carried by members of this group. I put a lot of aging on this one, distressing, burnishing, etc. Virani wanted this one to look like the genuine. Me tried me best. Aloha!

V

thank you so very much. That is exactly what I wanted...I will be very honored to have this club in my house.
It looks just like Karl Von Den Steinen would have stoll it in Nuku Hiva from the local chiefs, but no, it's a 2006 club made by the american carver Basement kahuna !
Thanks again

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 05:37:40 ]

H
hewey posted on Sat, Feb 25, 2006 4:01 AM

Cool stuff man! Nice work and a cool style. You dig up some cool stuff for inspiration.

Pages: 1 18 replies