Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Corporate Annual Reports are Tiki ?

Pages: 1 17 replies

I know what you are thinking if you have ever read a corporate annual report for a publiclly traded company. How on earth could this have anything to do with tiki?

A lot if you are the Marriot corporation......in 1962

Imagine my surprise when I walked in to the office of a new employee at our hotel management company and saw this hanging on his wall (its about 8.5" by 11")

Apparently he worked for the Marriott corp and found this old annual report in one of the file cabinets. Hot Shoppes is actually the original business that old man Marriott started when he purchased his first A&W root beer stand.

After expanding the business into the hotel industry they eventually changed names to Marriott International.

This photo is of the very first Kona Kai restaurant that Marriot opened in the Philadelphia Marriott in 1961-62. At the time this annual report was written, it was the only Kona Kai in existence.

H

Fab find, Monkeyman! Yet another angle to view how pervasive tiki culture was back then. And a great shot of the inside of the original Kona Kai, to boot!

M
Moki posted on Sat, Feb 18, 2006 5:34 PM

Very cool!! And to know that you now have a fellow employee who is also into tiki will make the days at work a little more bearable.

Will you be making another frame for this new friend??

Great scott, what a great shot!
That might be the photo that inspired the rendering of the Kona Kai interior on page 141 of the BOT, the blue green fishnet float is hanging in the same place of the frame.

Sven,

If you like I can email you the full res scan of the image.

I scanned it at 400 dpi and the original is fairly large (8.5 x 11)

you can send me your email address and I will forward it.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 6:12 AM

What a cool and unexpected find!

Fantastic find, Monkeyman!

Thanks for posting it. An annual report is the last place I would expect such a nice tiki restaurant image.

Sabu

V

great picture. Thanks for sharing it.

Wow, terrific shot! I love the look of that indoor lagoon/waterfall with the bridge over it. I've always been attracted by indoor water features like that. The picture just draws me in. Monkeyman, I sent you a PM. Thanks for posting.

Monkeyman was good enough to send the pic to me too. I de-speckled it and you can get it HERE

Nice find, Monkeyman!

P

Great find ! Thanks for posting.

Also, one can view the architectural blueprint by Armet & Davis for this very environment on page 19 of the BOT, entitled "Sketch of Rain Forest - Kona Kai Restaurant-Hot Shoppes Inc."

On 2006-02-21 03:52, pappythesailor wrote:
I de-speckled it and you can get it HERE

Excellent, you beat me to it! That pic was already set as my screen wallpaper. Now it looks even better thanks to you! Now if you could just cleanly remove all the text from it... :wink:

My talents lie elsewhere. I don't know where but somewhere. I bet there's a TCer out there who's great at this.

Great image. How funny that the small sign under the fish floats says "Tonga Room". Obviously incest was not a taboo in tiki culture.

TOO nice - the report came out on my birthday! (And almost the exact year!
...1962 instead of '72 :wink: )

Super find, M Man!

I don't know about everyone else, but I've become mezmerized by that pic. I love everything about it and am getting really inspired by it. I want MY home bar (oh hell, the whole house!) to look like THAT. Am I alone or do I hear an "amen brother!"?

G

Rob Roy did a nice job removing the text and I went in and removed scratches and darkened the image somewhat. If anyone wants it, PM me and it's yours.

Pages: 1 17 replies