Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

at long last...Tommy's comes to San Diego

Pages: 1 14 replies

While living in Los Angeles, I aquired an addiction to a hamburger that could only be obtained at a place called Tommy's Famous. Since relocating to San Diego there has been a void that couldn't be filled until now...

http://www.originaltommys.com/maps/san_diego.php

One of the guys I dated in college used to go on spur-of-the-moment road trips from Cal (Berkeley) to L.A. with his pals just to pick up some Tommy's burgers. They never did that for In-N-Out.

So, the physicists are right. The Universe is expanding.
The original location on Beverly & Ramparts (in L.A.) was the "Center of the Universe" in the late 60's.....Especially after rock concerts at the Shrine & wherever.
I bet they haven't cleaned the grill yet.
Is Bobby still working there?
We want a Tommy's in Kailua!

I've yet to try a Tommy's burger so I can't say they're the best. I'll do a comparison as soon as I can. Rocky's in P.B. has yet to be topped as far as burgers go for me. Shipwreck, have you had a Rocky's burger? I'm ready for a double burger taste test. Say the word.

... the best burger is gone from san diego county... there was a spot in encinitas that served the ultimate burger... it was a location right next to where the moonlight flea market goes down on weekends...

... a delicious sprout & millet burger... eat 'em cold & eat 'em fast... paddle back out for another 4 hour session and do it again...

... mind you, ki's makes a pretty remarkable millet burger...

... brians, on washington, makes some pretty good burgers...

... oddly, brians is the location of a place that served some of the worst food in san diego, the infamous, topsy's... almost too remarkable for words...

... the only stated goal of topsy's was to served burgers that, when served, matched pantone warm grey #3u or dunn edwards #6220... preferably when cooled...

On 2006-02-20 00:20, cynfulcynner wrote:

... road trips from Cal (Berkeley) to L.A. with his pals just to pick up some Tommy's burgers. They never did that for In-N-Out.

... there are those, however, who have made in-n-out the meeting place for friday shabbat...

That's funny...it sure seems like most San Diegans HATE Los Angeles in a way that would make San Franciscans jelious...Steve Garvey was bad enough...Now Tommy's in SD...is "Pinks" next? Dick Lane and the T-Birds maybe? Is Eddy from Zacheryall behind this?

On 2006-02-22 06:44, Gigantalope wrote:

...That's funny...it sure seems like most San Diegans HATE Los Angeles in a way that would make San Franciscans jelious...

... oddly the alohabros surf tribe always looked forward to trips back up to la (from surfing mexico) for the obligatory stop at the beloved greasy spoon, angelos in o-side... home of the best red-meat burger in sd county...

... fyi, sders don't hate la... in fact, native diegans don't know that much about la unless they trek there... in any case, how could anyone hate an area that is home to places like mccabe's guitar shop & canter's... la rules...

T

On 2006-02-22 06:44, Gigantalope wrote:
it sure seems like most San Diegans HATE Los Angeles in a way that would make San Franciscans jelious

When I lived in San Diego I loved L.A., and went up there whenever I could. Since I've lived in the Bay Area I have continued to love L.A. and still visit as often as possible. People who claim they hate L.A. are just snobs. Sure, there are bad things about it: smog, traffic, crime (two of which [traffic and crime] we have just as bad, if not worse, in the bay area, and even we have smoggy days), but I tend look at the good things because life is too short to dwell on the negative.

But I do hate Orange County! Bunch of hoiti toitis! :wink:

[ Edited by: thejab 2006-02-22 11:45 ]

[ Edited by: thejab 2006-02-22 11:47 ]

On 2006-02-22 11:44, thejab wrote:

... But I do hate Orange County! Bunch of hoiti toitis! :twink:...

... how can any one hate an area (:twink:) that is home to places such as fatburger & georges burgers...

I thought Tommy's was a Barber Shop in Newport ???

I think Alohabros used to hang out there and eat smoked sausages!!!

TK Burgers rocks!! Ain't no Hoity Toiy's there Jabber!!

( TK ie; The Kine)

... jimmy works the grill at tks...

On 2006-02-20 08:51, Matt Reese wrote:
I've yet to try a Tommy's burger so I can't say they're the best. I'll do a comparison as soon as I can. Rocky's in P.B. has yet to be topped as far as burgers go for me. Shipwreck, have you had a Rocky's burger? I'm ready for a double burger taste test. Say the word.

Ain't tried Rocky's yet Matt, but there are some good local burger places. I like Hodad's in O.B., Johnny B's in La Mesa, the Longhorn Bar & Grill @ the intersection of Mission Gorge & Friar's Rd and the San Diego Brewery across the street.

On 2006-02-23 07:51, RevBambooBen wrote:

... TK Burgers rocks!!

... rbb gets extra mayo... jimmy obliges...

Pages: 1 14 replies