Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Pappy makes tiki lamp

Pages: 1 9 replies

Recently the Pier 1 store near me went out of business. In addition to some pillows, fake greenery and a rug, I got these plater holder thingies. The warning labels on them said not to be used with food as poisoning could be the result. No wonder they couldn't sell them.

What to do with plate thingies? Make a lamp.

Detach the wicker part and use the jigsaw to cut a hole in one end. The light fixture is from Home Depot. Wood is 12-inch scrap.

Cover with wire. Looks like a shiner trap with a porch light!

Cover with cool fabric.

Lamp!

Nice work Pappy

nice work!!
great example how to DIY!

P
Pyro posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 3:51 PM

Thats great. I've actually been considering doing something similar with a broken lamp I have. Did you use regular fabric or something heat resistant?

J

Nice work man! How do you find the time?

On 2006-02-19 19:37, johnman wrote:
Nice work man! How do you find the time?

Leah made me promise I wouldn't work on the basement while I was watching the kid Saturday. Luckily, I had already done all the sawing for the lamp so I finished it while baby and I watched TV.

Pyro, it's just regular cloth. I used a fluorescent bulb so it doesn't throw enough heat to melt ice. I'm not worried about it. I'm probably going to scrap the whole thing anyway. The wire mesh was a mistake; I should have used lampshade paper inside. Next one's the keeper.

P

very nice! what and where about the fabric. it's awesome.

H
hmc posted on Mon, Feb 20, 2006 2:31 AM

Wow, awesome!

Pssst: what plates? :lol:

Farbic I got HERE

Pages: 1 9 replies