Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

seeking name of jungle gardens in Orange County

Pages: 1 0 replies

M

Anybody very familiar with Orange County in the 1960s-1970s?

In the mid-1980s I bought an old booklet about tourist attractions in Southern California, and the booklet listed an attraction I had never heard of. It was either gardens or a small theme park, though probably tropical gardens. I drove out there to visit it, and walked around on foot, but there wasn't any trace of it at that address, and I asked at a nearby business, to be told by a lady that she thought it had closed and been torn down years ago.

The location was several blocks east of the 57 freeway, probably in Placentia, Yorba Linda, or Anaheim. It was on one of those major east-west streets like Orangethorpe Ave., Yorba Linda Blvd., or Chapman Ave. (but larger than Crowther Ave. and Nutwood Avenue), though definitely north of Katella Ave. and south of Imperial Highway and some plants I saw over a fence on a southwest corner hinted that that corner might have been the location. Anybody know what this place was called, or where it was? I was thinking that it was Jungleland, but that was in Thousand Oaks, in a different county. Maybe something like Jungle Gardens?

While I'm at it, there's another mystery gardens that I've been unable to locate. I thought it was in Point Loma, in the inland area before the point. It had mostly flowers and maybe a gazebo and was rather small. My family visited it in 1969. I've been trying to locate any such gardens, present or past, in Pt. Loma, and have failed completely. It's as if it never even existed. Or maybe it wasn't technicaly in Point Loma? Any San Diego residents know what this might have been?

[ Edited by: mbonga 2006-02-19 17:32 ]

[ Edited by: mbonga 2006-02-19 17:38 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies