Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

New England Kowloon Trip 3/25

Pages: 1 42 replies

B

Just a formal posting on Primo's idea. So, Saturday, March 25th at Kowloon for Dinner. Like to see as many of the New England Ohana as possible!

6pm work for everyone?

Bridget and I are in.

J

Missy, myself, and Rain are in. Also a friend of ours, Kerri, might also come.

Looks like this one could be a pretty good turnout!

it's on our schedule. so two from Vacationland.

1, 2 or 2 1/2 coming!

B

Sweet!! Shaping up to be a good turnout for this one. Once again, Jess & I will prob do the day on rte 1, checking out all the weird stores & buildings that are slowly disappearing to make room for more strip malls & fast food joints.

If anyone else is in the area for lunch, you've GOT to check out KELLY's ROAST BEEF. Its a few miles north of the Kowloon on the southbound side. They supposedly invented the roast beef sandwich (and the sandwiches ARE excellent), but the real reason to go is for the decor.

The've got a HUGE aqaurium with some great tropical fish, and a ton of bizzare carnival memorabilia. Carousel Horses, posters, and the most evil clown head from a fun house (circa 1940's I think) that I've ever seen...

check it out...

Having that thing watching over you while you snarf down a sandwich is really a trip!!

Also, we're thinking about hitting the Bali Hai immediately before the Kowloon for some cocktails if anyone is interested.

See you all there!

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2006-03-01 20:22 ]

I wanna gooooo!! but alas, its a long drive from landlocked colorado!

R
Rain posted on Tue, Mar 7, 2006 11:58 AM

GAH i can't stand that thing at kelly's! SO creepy. but the sandwiches are awesome.

yeah, can't wait for the 25th! my wahine leila is in, too.

J

That mask is pretty creepy. I'd order to go if I went there.

Yeah 2K miles would be a huge hike for Kowloon, Hulakowloony. Do you ever travel to New England?

I'd like to go and I may actually stop by on Friday night after the Waitiki show in Boston. Depends on how late the show goes and how late Kowloon stays open.. Either way, we'll be traveling back to Maine that night and will miss the Saturday rendezvous. Enjoy and have a Mai Tai for me..

Chief

i get back there once a year..im from the Boston area..lowell to be exact and most of my family is still there. They are supposed to be getting some new tiki mugs in their inventory. If they DO get some will someone going send me a Pm to let me know? i would appreciate it much!!!

Crap! Sorry I didn't post this a few days ago when I got my tickets to California which will necessitate the canceling of this most festive of events. Please forgive me and try to carry on without us. I know it will be tough. end of April until winter I'm up for anything.

J

Hey Primo - Enjoy CA and don't worry about missing the Kowloon. I'll just have to have two extra Mai Tais (one for you and the Chief). I'm sure we'll be back there again before the year is out. Hitting any tiki while in CA?

Hulakowloony I'll check in on the mug situation next Saturday. My collection has stalled lately so I'm hoping to pick something new up!

Bargoyle I don't think we'll be able to get to the Bali Hai:( You'll have to let me know what the drinks are like.

All - What time are we planning on for the 25th? Another 6PM meet time at the bar then table to follow?

MH

For all ya'll visiting from out of town this weekend (if any?), WAITIKI's big exotica/esquivel show is the night before, 3/24 in Boston! Perhaps if we're totally sober (or not) we will come by and enjoy a cocktail with you all! Regardless, why not have twice the entertainment (Read: grog) by coming out to see us!

http://www.waitiki.com for info.

Mr. Ho

T

The only new Kowloon item I have seen so far:

More pictures in Tiki Finds thread but I thought I would add one here for you to see so that you all could be on the lookout.

The two bars seemed to be pretty low on mugs when I was there so Maybe there are going to be more new ones made by Kowloon Products soon?

Tikisgrl

I am fine with a 6 PM bar time.

We are thinking of making the trip a two-fer and going to IKEA earlier in the day.

--SBiM

Primo-Have a great time out west! I was looking forawrd to chillin with ya again, but we got plenty of time for a get together.

SB--set aside a few hours for Ikea...you cant help but get lost in the coolness of that place!

6pm at the Kowloon bar sounds perfect. Jess & I will be at the Bali Hai up the road around 5pm for pre-cocktail cocktails (I think that made sense?) The Bali Hai has a few cocktails that are better than Kowloon, but the food is sub-par, and the decor is fading fast.

If anyone wants to join us at the Bali Hai, stop on by! Sorry you cant make it to the pre-cocktails Johnman. If that changes, just stop in. We dont get out that way much outside baseball season, so we've gotta hit everything on rte 1 in one day!!

I'd also like to hit Waitiki on Friday night, but not sure if its do-able (prior plans that might not be able to be broken...we'll see)

Looking forward to seeing everyone, and meeting some more of the N.E. Ohana!

Oh, I know IKEA better than anyone. When we moved to Maine, we made a trip to New Haven to stock our house. When we lived in Albany, we went to IKEAs in Philly, NJ, Long Island and Canada.

I'm a veteran.

:)

I think the Kowloon on a Saturday is a little crazy for Baby so I'll be going alone. BG--I'm going to hit the Bali Hai @ 5:00. Can you still get that white mug there? Let me know if you're not going.

There's a chance we might be able to do a drink at the Bali Hai too.
But don't expect us.

--SBiM

B

I'll be at the Bali Hai around 5pm (Maybe even a little before hand). If anyone wants to skip the ride up the road to the Hai (trust me, that place is harder to find than you'd think!), but wants the mug (The white one with Bali Hai written across it), I can buy a fist full of em and bring em to the Kowloon (only a $4 handling charge!! heh heh kidding)

So, anyway, yeah pappy, I'll be there, and I'm 99% sure they still have the signature mug. Stop on by! You too SB!

See everyone at the 'Loon.

J

Sorry to hear the baby isn't coming pappy. At least you'll be able to relax. I know I'll miss my kids but I'll get over it quickly.

The Bali Hai is tough to find even though you can see the place from the highway. I popped in there on the way to NH last year to pick up a couple of mugs. I assured my wife its right off the highway - a half hour later, after driving in all of the wrong directions, we finally made it. Next time I go I'll probably just drive through the fence off 95 and land right in the parking lot.

c-ya tomorrow night!

johnman--are you going to da Bali Hai?

Anybody have good directions there?

B

bad news. i'm not gonna make it. fire in house last night. lava lounge will have to be gutted, and alot of downstairs is smoke damaged. have to move out of house for next few weeks...unfit for living fire dept says. will write more when i have computer...on cel phn rt now. hoist one for me.
bg

B

bad news. i'm not gonna make it. fire in house last night. lava lounge will have to be gutted, and alot of downstairs is smoke damaged. have to move out of house for next few weeks...unfit for living fire dept says. will write more when i have computer...on cel phn rt now. hoist one for me.
bg

B

bg

B

bg

Oh no! I hope everyone is all right.
Keep us up to date, BG.

--SBiM

B

bg

Aaaaaahh!! Bargoyle, let me know if you need anything. Count on me for construction/demolition too.

J

Oh man - I can't believe it Bargoyle. I hope you guys got out unscathed. If you need anything let me know. Damn, I'm totally floored by this news. Consider one hoisted at the 'loon my friend!

pappy I won't be able to get to the Bali Hai. We have a tax appointment at 3. Following that the bus starts its run to Saugus. As far as directions - I just used the directions on their web site. I wish I could tell you how we got lost but I haven't a clue.

Who's going? I don't know why we didn't think of this but we need reservations! I guess we'll have to meet up @ 1800 in the lobby and put our names in. I'll be wearing an Aloha shirt. Is anybody going but johnman, SB & I?

P.S. I couldn't sleep last night after Bargoyle's news...

J

My wife is coming, her friend, Rain and his girlfriend. So 5 here.

Pappy is it too late to call in for reservations?

R
Rain posted on Sun, Mar 26, 2006 5:57 PM

well, THAT was fun :D

thanks very much to johnman and crew for the transpo and great company, and it was great to meet you, pappy and SB (et al)! my native friends hadn't been there in some time and were all astonished at how packed the place was. good times :)

bargoyle, so sorry for the reason you couldn't make it :/ here's to a speedy cleanup.

[ Edited by: Rain 2006-03-26 17:58 ]

Yes, we had a great time too! And that new bowl is fantastic!

I'm very much looking forward to the photos being posted.

--SBiM

Another great time at the mighty Kowloon. Rain brought a big crowd with him so we were thirteen in all. We plopped ourselves under a long tiki hut against a mural of hot hula babes enjoying a swim. I was fairly happy with the Mai Tai. It didn't taste right but it was ok and there was alcohol in it. johnman and I got a Navy Grog and were disappointed to find it almost the same drink as the Mai Tai.

After a yummy dinner, johnman, SB and I went on a quest for the new Kowloon Aloha/Scorpion bowl. Sam the waiter told us no, the bartender told us no, the mean lady who sold t-shirts and Keno tickts told us no too. Finally, we buttonholed our cocktail waitress who took us to see the maitre d' (is that how you spell that?). He recognized us as Tiki Centralites (I'm guessing Bargoyle made an impression on him last time.) Anyway, he GAVE the three of us bowls.

Can I just say: The Kowloon rules! Everybody was nice (except the mean t-shirt lady) and helpful even when they were saying no. It's nice to go to a tiki location that has lines out the door at 9:00 PM.

J

Saturday was one awesome time. Rain it was great meeting you and Leila and your friends. Lestat was the most interesting of all:) We'll have to get together again soon seeing you guys are pretty close.

Pappy pretty much summed up the quest for the bowls. I was amazed that the maitre'd knew who we we're and even recalled where we sat. Bargoyle looks like the "red carpet treatment" continues!

I have a few pics and will post them tonight.

Bargoyle we missed you man! Hope things are getting better in Tolland.

[ Edited by: johnman 2006-03-27 20:05 ]

T

Glad you all had a great time... I was supposed to be away up in SBiM's territory so missed you again... After all that, I'm still living vicariously through the fun you have!!! Um, I guess I forgot to mention that the Bowls were not given too willingly. I walked away from the mean bartender & over to the takeout where the nice lady made a call and was able to let me buy the bowls!!! So sorry, but see it worked out you got the bowls & they were very affordable!!!

Bargoyle - I didn't get to post before now & I hope that you do see this... Anything that you need to replace outright in Tiki Ceramics I have quite a few extras ready for a good home!!! They may not be of the "rare variety" but I have lots and am willing to send a care package whenever you are ready!!!

Sorry I missed the Kowloon trip , but alas I'm in Long Beach, Ca. - Born and raised in Amesbury, my best Tiki memories are from Kowloon - stopping in late night for a Scorpion bowl and a Pu Pu platter.
Did you guys see my newest Tiki mural - my version of the mural you sat under.

J

Some pictures from the Kowloon trip:

Missy (Mrs. JohnMan) and Kerri

SBiM and Traci enjoying some cool beverages.

Pappy falling over after the Mai Navy Tai Grog (a Kowloon specialty)

Rain and Leila enjoying their first trek to the Kowloon.

And the Weeze!

I'm sure we'll be back to Saugus again before we know it. Tikisgrl you must join us next time!

On 2006-03-27 19:29, jpmartdog wrote:
Sorry I missed the Kowloon trip , but alas I'm in Long Beach, Ca. - Born and raised in Amesbury, my best Tiki memories are from Kowloon - stopping in late night for a Scorpion bowl and a Pu Pu platter.
Did you guys see my newest Tiki mural - my version of the mural you sat under.

jpmartdog, That's beautiful. You should print it up as a big poster and sell it cheap. Art should be accessible, says I!

if i advanced in age a little bit, i would have gone. Only 18 ya know.

J

Kowloon is fun for all ages Pocky. You're more than welcome to come the next time - hey you could be the designated driver! Hope you own a bus.

Pages: 1 42 replies