Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Is Archee McPhee running out of ideas?

Pages: 1 2 replies

Because the new catalog my friend just got shows stickers look a little TOO much like Shag. Take a look at the girls in each picture:

Giddyup Stickers:

Aloha Stickers:

Vive La France Stickers:

Okay, in all fairness Shag did base his artwork on old ads and illustrations and he's never painted cowboys or a frog in a beret. But I mean, come on.

And I guess while the folks at Archie McPhee/Accoutrements figured since while they were ripping off Shag, they might as well go ahead and rip off Coop, too:

Red Devil Cocktail Shaker:

Of course, it could just be me.

[ Edited by: Trader_Rick on 2002-11-30 18:26 ]

H

Yeah, that is disappointing. In the good old days, McPhee's wasn't making as much of their own stuff; most of what you'd find there was weird things they'd picked up from here or there. It was much more interesting. They still have some of that stuff, especially in the store, but it's not nearly like it used to be. The catalog used to be a lot funnier, too.

F

"Back in my day, blah blah, blah...."

But back when I went to college in Oly. I would make a pilgrimage up to McPhee to see what new stuff they found. The appeal of the place was that they would get their hands on the weirdest stuff. Real surplus "Biohazard" tape, Jesus loves me Yo-yo's srtaight from some midwest christian youth supplier, surplus party supplies that promoted unknown b-movies, strange toys from countries nobody can pronounce...

Nowadays I can find all of the stuff McPhee's sells at just about any novelty store. So disappointing. Kids today, blah, blah...

-Shannon

[ Edited by: Fonduie on 2002-12-12 10:02 ]

Pages: 1 2 replies