Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Griffin for Tiki

Pages: 1 18 replies

Now that I got your attention, I bet that you are wondering what a griffin has to do with tiki. Well, in my life they have a lot to do with each other.

No, I'm not into gothic creatures with heads and wings of an eagle connected the body of a lion, I am into my main little shredder man.

As you can see, he already is a tiki afficianado.

The surfing thing also has captured his interest.

I have no idea where he picked up the surf/tiki thing.

Being a proud papa, I always seem to seek out and acquire griffin items whenever they catch my eye. My search for this mystical creature brought me to one of my best friends father who happens to be a killer painter up in San Francisco.

One night after a few beers ( 6 or 10) we decided to do a painting for a tiki trade. About a year later he showed up with this beautiful painting.

At night the clouds seem to swirl around this semi transparent Griffin. We love what he did and know that he spent a lot of time creating this work of art. It will be with my son forever.

Meanwhile, I have barely started to carve his tiki and was thinking oh S*%t I better make it good because he is a perfectionist. Well, now it is 6 months after he delivered his end of the bargain and I am ready to make good on my end.

Some of you may not consider this a tiki, but I like to carve what comes off of the top of my head, no tracing required. The new adopter of this tiki uses a lot of rebirth vs death, good vs bad, and religious characteristics in his work.

Therefore, I decided to make the tiki below.

At SCTikis we always strive to give customers something that they will cherish. Custom for every customer.

As you can see, it is praying. (the religious aspect, that I think this guy will appreciate)

This tiki has a headpiece that kind of resembles a woman's anatomy, if you kind of squint your eyes. (The Rebirth aspect)

Try to guess what this stone resembles.
(An artists rendition)

I thought that my VIP customer deserved some fine detail work as well.

I hope he likes it and doesn't use it for kindling.

Thank you for reading my topic.
you guys and galls are all legends.

Be safe,
Use Protection,

Will
SCtikis

[

[ Edited by: sctikishack 2006-02-22 16:49 ]

Wow, great carving and great finish on that there tiki.....is it 2 different stains, or a poly over the natural grains that are giving it that great look??

It's beautiful SC, he's going to be ecstatic.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Tiki Wahine,

Thank you, I am glad that you appreciate my griffin tiki, he took some elbo greese.

Clysdalle,

I like to use a marine varnish / poly combo.
After experimenting with linseed oil, Thompsons and superdeck, I think that the marind varnish works the best for redwood.

Thanks,
Will

Will , Anyone who would recieve that tiki would love it. Its nice to see that you put so much into it for your customer.

Looks like the trade is a win win for all.

Cute little guy.

That's a BOMBER headress. Nice one. How's the surf? I heard you had a good winter.

beautiful tiki will! simply stunning headress - is that all chainsaw??!?!? amazing. I love how your two tone redwood works out too. Beautiful carving.

Will gets great detail with chainsaw only. Really, the finest chainsaw carver I've seen. Of course, it must be nice to have your own personal sanding assistant.

Will, your boy has grown since I saw him last year! He's a gem - you will have the girls beating down your door when he grows up. Say aloha to the missus.

Aaron

B

Another nice one Will and the kidz aren't bad either. If he decides to use it for kindling, tell him to ship it to me and I'll send him some Good kindling.

Surfintiki,

Up until a couple of weeks ago we had a killer winter for waves. Several sandbars have been formed and are awaiting some swell. I am holding my breath.

Rodeo,
Thank you, as you know, you have to give customers what they want. Just like you, it seems like every tiki is getting better and better. Hopefully, your getting some good ski action.

Polynesiac,

Whats up?
Hopefully, I can come visit you someday and talk tiki.
I made my sister a wedding tiki that I will probably deliver in a few months.
She lives close to Royal Palms, is that near you?

A.A.
My little guy gets to hang out with three beautiful girls who live down the street everyday.
Lucky man! I'll say hi to Didi and look forward to seeing you in person sometime in the future. Come back up whenever you want. I have a huge stockpile of palm and redwood.

Benzart,

I'll let my customer know!
However I doubt that he will go for it.
The reason that I said it, is because you can still see some saw marks in the deepest cuts.
I can sand a tiki forever and still always see imperfections.
Fortunately, it seems like most people don't want a perfectly smooth and finished tiki, they say it looks like a machine made it.

Will

Nice work Will, Hey, I might be heading down to Cornwall in a few weeks, you have to let me know where those tikis of yours are to be found.

Cheekytiki,

My tikis are at a surfshop named Revolver. I'm not sure if the shop is still open or not. However, it is located on the main street that leads to the Fistral beach. The Fort Pub is right across the street. Be sure to surf the lefts into the rivermouth at Crantauk, it was the best place for waves that I got.

Thanks,
Will

She lives close to Royal Palms, is that near you?

right around the corner. I was just there this morning with my dog. We've had piddly waves for a while now (in 'pedro, South Bay is good). Bring us some good ones when you come.

You've got tikis in England too? dude, that's cool.

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-02-23 15:22 ]

Polynesiac,

She lives off of Water Street. The waves up here have been chinsey the last couple of weeks also. However, I will do my best to bring some waves with me, good wave juju.

Yes, I have 5 tikis in England, it helps to have connections. One of my friends purchased a shop there and flew me over to carve him some tikis. The English farmers, where I carved them didn't know what to think at first, but by the end they were stoked.

Unfortunately, the waves that time of year were rather soft in Newquay.
I did get one good day however.

Ill see you sometime in the not so near future, do you need some redwood logs? I got them coming out of my ears.

Will

J

That's a gem of a tiki! I like your deep cut style.

JP

V

Very cool dude, nice work!

Aloha SCTikiShack!!!
Nice carving my friend!! Havent seen you in a while.Hope all is well with you and your family and keep the carvings flowing.aloha ,Mooney

Johnny P., VonTiki, & MoonyTiki,

Thank you guys, I appreciate the plugs. I have been so busy trying to fit in carving whenever I can in between my day job that I barely have any computer time.

Will

Killer tikis as usual Will. Griffin is a cool kid and lucky to have such a talented and caring pop. Hey, I am gonna get in touch with you as soon as things cool down a bit. I have a bunch poop I need to get done but should be in the clear by the middle of this week. I will catch up with you then.

Chongolio

Pages: 1 18 replies