Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Scott and Kat McGerik visiting Chicago in early March

Pages: 1 26 replies

Kat and I will be in Chicago on March 3, 7-11 and we would like to visit with the TC Ohana.

Here is our plan:
Fly in on Friday, March 3, check into our hotel (Holiday Inn in Tinley Park), then visit the Canoe Club in Orland Park.
Leave for Michigan on Saturday, March 4 and return to Chicago on Tuesday, March 7.
Stay at the Seneca Hotel in downtown Chicago from until Saturday, March 11.
During the second part of our visit to Chicago, we plan on visiting Chef Shangri-La, Hala Kahiki, The Tiki Terrace, The Field Museum, and The Shedd Aquarium. We also hope to have dim sum at Furama on Wentworth in Chicago.

Question: Are there particular days which are best to visit the above?

Like I mentioned above, Kat and I would like to dine and drink with any of the TC Ohana living in Chicago.

Question: Is there a liquor store in Chicago, preferably close to downtown Chicago, which sells Lemonhart Demerara 151 rum? I can get the 80 proof Lemonhart Demerara rum in Minnesota but the liquor distributors claim they can't get the 151 proof version. If there is such a liquor store, I want to purchase a bottle or two of Lemonhart Demerara 151 rum.

Feel free to PM me or to send me email at [email protected] about any of the above. If you send me email, please include CHICAGO in the subject line. This will help me find the message if it gets dropped into the spam bucket.

On 2006-02-22 18:32, ScottMcGerik wrote:
During the second part of our visit to Chicago, we plan on visiting Chef Shangri-La, Hala Kahiki, The Tiki Terrace, The Field Museum, and The Shedd Aquarium. We also hope to have dim sum at Furama on Wentworth in Chicago.

Question: Are there particular days which are best to visit the above?

Answer: The Tiki Terrace has entertainment on Friday & Saturday nights: bands & musicians on Friday, and the Hana Hou Dance Revue hula show on Saturdays. If you're going to go on one of those days I suggest getting reservations.

On 2006-02-22 18:32, ScottMcGerik wrote:
Question: Is there a liquor store in Chicago, preferably close to downtown Chicago, which sells Lemonhart Demerara 151 rum? I can get the 80 proof Lemonhart Demerara rum in Minnesota but the liquor distributors claim they can't get the 151 proof version. If there is such a liquor store, I want to purchase a bottle or two of Lemonhart Demerara 151 rum.

Try Binnys or Sam's Liquors.

Thanks freddiefreelance! I see there is a Binny's close to our hotel, so, I will check out that one.

i get mine from sam's which definately has it...try binny's..all else fails I can pick you up a couple bottles and meet you at hala kahiki for the exchange...

Does the selection vary between the various Sam's and Binny's stores? I ask because I visited the websites for both and neither listed Lemonhart Demerara 151 rum.

Of course, I'm willing to take advantage of your offer. Particularly, meeting you at Hala Kahiki.

hmmmmm...... It's been awhile since I needed demerara, but I think sam's has a better selection of booze, particularly rums...you can find some strange stuff. binny's, in my opinion is too limited....they cater to the mainstream, so you aren't likely to find much in the way of rums ouside of bacardi, capt. morgan, and whatnot.

sam's can be pricey on some items and deals on others, so it's hit or miss....they also carry the pisco in the moai bottle and the new limbo drummer bottle of rum that's a throw-back to the old 50's style bottle. i personally, though I despise tequila, like the bottle with the sombrero hat cap and tiny gun holsters on it's side that holds a small shot glass in each one!! I found most of the recommended rums in the grog log at sam's as well.

as for the websites, the items being posted are those that probably sell the highest percent-wise.....i doubt that demerarra 151 is a big seller by and large, which would explain why that and other more obscure items are never shown as being available on websites....they're trying to capitalize on the shoppers with simpler demands...the connessieur almost always has to make his/her selections in person....

anyone else in chicago care to chime in?? I know ya'll drink, so where do you get your hootch??

C
c10 posted on Thu, Feb 23, 2006 7:18 PM

I recommend going to the Tiki Terrace on Friday the 10th.

W

Tiki Terrace has the Windy City Islanders playing on the 10th.

Do make time to visit the Chicago Art Institute. Best overall art museum in the country, imho; beating out even New York.

IZ

On 2006-02-23 20:03, Satan's Sin wrote:
Do make time to visit the Chicago Art Institute. Best overall art museum in the country, imho; beating out even New York.

With all due respect to Satan's Sin & the Art Institute, I actually think Chicago's Museum of Contemporary Art is the best art museum in the city. It's never let me down when I've been in Chicago (though you have to enjoy contemporary art, which isn't something everyone likes).

Also, if you want an odd experience, check out the International Museum of Surgical Science
at 1524 N. Lake Shore Drive. Tiny place, but kinda fun.

Sounds like a great trip Scott! Take lots of photos.

I, Z

Glen, what the hell are you doing posting at 3:30 am Friday Morning? Aren't you supposed to be doing your show?

Seriously, though I agree with the idea of going to the Museum of Contemporary Art rather than the Institute if I had to pick one, but both are must sees... Actually, who am I kidding. Scott, skip the art and cram in more tiki!

C
c10 posted on Fri, Feb 24, 2006 5:06 PM

Museums are nice but usually mix a substandard Zombie.

On 2006-02-24 15:32, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
Glen, what the hell are you doing posting at 3:30 am Friday Morning? Aren't you supposed to be doing your show?

Quince, actually I was posting after the show, while sitting there waiting for the next dj to arrive, operating the tape for Democracy Now -- must be the time difference between here and wherever TC is housed (CA ?). Trust me, I was not shirking my duties: at 3:30am C.T. I was doing the watusi to Dick Hyman's Discotheque Doll, while cueing up Antonio Carlos Jobim's Mojave, and botching the 101 string song selection. Of all the groups to play the wrong cut off one of their albums... ouch!

Oh, and by the way, yeah, I agree, the Mai Tai's aren't that good at either Art Museum.

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2006-02-24 23:26 ]

wgk001 wrote:
Tiki Terrace has the Windy City Islanders playing on the 10th.

We'll be there on Friday, the 10th.

Satan's Sin wrote:

I'm not so interested in such places but Kat says she wants to go so that is where we are going. :)

T

Scott

Tiki Terrace is a good choice for Friday because you'll get to see the Islanders, but also because you DONT want to go to Hala Kahiki on a weekend, unless you want to wait an hour to get in.

As always, if you want to go to the Chef Shangri-La dinner / Hala Kahiki drinks run on Tues, Weds, or Thurs, I'm up for it. These two dstinations make a good back-to-back Tiki Tour in the 'burbs.

Send me a PM, and I'll give you my phone#.

Make sure you get Tipsy, C10, and Exotica 59 in the posse too.

Hints for the Art Institute: free on Tuesday, open late on Thursday.
It is a must-see if you're at all interested in art.

The Museum of Contemporary Art sucks ass.

JT

tikibars wrote:

Tiki Terrace is a good choice for Friday because you'll get to see the Islanders, but also because you DONT want to go to Hala Kahiki on a weekend, unless you want to wait an hour to get in.

As always, if you want to go to the Chef Shangri-La dinner / Hala Kahiki drinks run on Tues, Weds, or Thurs, I'm up for it. These two dstinations make a good back-to-back Tiki Tour in the 'burbs.

Send me a PM, and I'll give you my phone#.

Make sure you get Tipsy, C10, and Exotica 59 in the posse too.

Hints for the Art Institute: free on Tuesday, open late on Thursday.
It is a must-see if you're at all interested in art.

Thanks for the info! I'm open to meeting at Hala Kahiki on any of those days (Tues, Wed, or Thurs)

I just sent you a PM.

I'm flying out of the Twin Cities tomorrow (Friday) in the early evening. After that, I'll have limited ability to connect to the Internet.

Since I can meet at the Hala Kahiki on any of those days (Tues, Wed, or Thurs) and because I am running out of time to coordinate this, I'm suggesting Thursday night. If that does not work for all involved, just let me know what day was picked. Like I said, I'm open.

I've sent my mobile phone number to a bunch of people, so someone should be able to contact me. Also, I have Tipsy's number.

Scott.

On 2006-03-02 10:58, tikibars wrote:

I'd suggest making reservations, they fill up on weekends at TT, too.

T

Sorry for the utra-last minute update, but Scott and Kat are meeting TipsyMcStagger and I at the Chef Shangri-La at 7:30 and then it's off to Hala Kahiki at about 9:00.

Anybody looking for something to do tonight is welcome to show up.

JT

IZ

On 2006-03-02 10:58, tikibars wrote:

JT

JT,
Jeez, I missed the "Sucks Ass" exhibit when I was last there...

Seriously, I'm surprised. If someone had asked, I would have guessed you'd be all over that place. I think you would have dug the Hiroshi Sugimoto show in '03, the Lee Bontecou show in '04 (both of which were astonishing), the Tropicalia exhibit in '05, and what looks to be an interesting sculpture thing going on now. The MCA is always on my list of things to do in Chicago. But as they say, to each, his own.

Scott and Kat are a lot of fun. Hope the tiki bar crawl goes well!
I,Z

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2006-03-10 04:41 ]

Thank you to anyone who provided information or suggestions.

Kat and I had a good time in Chicago where we visited with tikibars, Tipsy McStagger, the members of the Windy City Islanders, and Scott from Tiki Terrace. We visited the Canoe Club, Chef Shangri La, Hala Kahiki, Tiki Terrace, and the incredible Pacific art display at the Field Museum. We also did a few touristy things like visiting the Shedd Aquarium and the Chicago Art Institute. We also threw in some shopping on the Magnificent Mile and found time to visit a few brewpubs. All in all, it was exhausting but good time.

T

...you forgot the part about how you were right next door to the Wal-Mart-sized Sam's Wine and Liquor and managed to not notice it...!

haha.

great meeting up with you guys.

Glad you made it to Tiki Terrace.

I was there tonight helping Scott Zuziak with the Jake S. show.
Good people there.
Lots of aloha in that place.

Oh, and IZ: I'll spare TC a treatsie on my opinions on contemporary art, but should you and I ever find ourselves at the same bar, I will gleefully engage you in a heated but friendly debate on the subject over a few Zombies...!

[ Edited by: tikibars 2006-03-13 05:57 ]

tikibars wrote:
...you forgot the part about how you were right next door to the Wal-Mart-sized Sam's Wine and Liquor and managed to not notice it...!

haha.

:oops:

On Saturday we made a trip to Sam's. Wow! I wish we had a store of that size in Minnesota!

Yo Scott,

You get any Demerara 151 at Sams?

Also, just as an aside, I ordered some Pimento Liqueur that Glen and I will be splitting (there's another thread somewhere on here that talks about where to get it). I'll give you a heads up when and if it shows up and you can help sample it.

Quince_at_Dannys wrote:

Nope. When we inquired with the staff, they informed us the distributor could not get any. They told us to check back in a month. Since Sam's will ship to Minnesota, I might place an order when they have it in stock.

I did pick up a bottle of Velvet Falernum, which I am eager to try out in a few drinks.

IZ

On 2006-03-13 13:42, ScottMcGerik wrote:

Quince_at_Dannys wrote:

Nope. When we inquired with the staff, they informed us the distributor could not get any. They told us to check back in a month. Since Sam's will ship to Minnesota, I might place an order when they have it in stock.

Man, stop struggling: http://www.hitimewine.net/iStar.htm

And they're great to work with!

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2006-03-18 06:18 ]

Pages: 1 26 replies