Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Esurance Fake Shag TV ad

Pages: 1 2 replies

Anybody seen this? It sure seems like fake Shag to me.

Seen it? ha! yes, maybe 15 times per day (and I don't even watch all that much TV, really) While there are obvious style differences, it definitely would not exist without the popularity of Shag. Having said that, she's no Kim Possible :wink:

-Z (Your Good Neighbor Zombie)

They remind me more of an artist named is Rian Hughes. He's from England and has actually been around longer than Shag. He started out as a comic illustrator and graphic artist, then created his own fonts. He's done a lot of commercial print ad work as well.

Here's his website: http://www.devicefonts.co.uk

His artwork is very stylistic sixties Swingin' London mod.

I did some research, here's what I found

*Esurance ads fall flat
by Adam Finley

I've been enjoying the animated TV spots for Esurance created by Ghostbot and Wildbrain, but while I really dig the colors and visuals, something about the ads just falls flat. It's not the artists and animators behind the spots, one of which is Frank Espinosa, who worked on Looney Tunes in the 90s. What ruins the commercials is the shoddy voiceover work, which is clearly done by people who have never done voice work for cartoons before. In animation, one bad ingredient can spoil the whole mix. It's really too bad, because it ruins what could be a very cool animated advertising campaign.

Rian Hughes

Esurance

[ Edited by: stuff-o-rama 2006-02-27 22:25 ]

Pages: 1 2 replies