Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Stores to purchase "authentic"/resin tiki masks?

Pages: 1 11 replies

I've been browsing various search engines (Mainly google) and all i ever find are internet-based stores that sell little miniature totems. I'm looking for a true-blue tiki mask that can be purchased in an actual store that i can drive too...relatively close of course.

Hey Pocky!

I'd suggest going to the Creating Tiki forum and finding tiki carvers in your neck of the woods. That way you'd be getting real wood and not resin, plus getting an artist's work and not a copy of a copy of a copy made in China. (Note: some carvers like Crazy Al sell reproductions of their own pieces, so I'm not saying all repros are cheapo fakes.)

Or maybe you'll get inspired, grap a tool and start whacking away at some wood yourself.

(I give you schoolboys permission to giggle at the double entendres).

P

i think i'll stay away from the sculpting of wood for a little bit, in fear of sawwing off my own hands. Thanks for the info.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 1, 2006 6:45 PM

I just bought a couple, and theyre excellent. But I got them on a cruise in the South Pacific, which kinda rules out the driving there bit. I was going to buy stuff to resell but ran out of money/time/space.

I agree, find someone on here if you can.

P

that'd be nice, but i'm the kind of guy who likes to win the day by actually purchasing and reveiving the item on the same day. But oh well. if it doesnt work out, then i'll look on here.

A

I got some great masks from Bosko. Check out his site.

T

World market has some. But don't get some mass made tiki. there are so many great carvers here. OA, Bosko, Gecko, Crazy Al, Benzart, Basement Kahuna, Tiki Diablo, Mai tiki. And thats just a few. Then insted of having a world market tiki/mask, you will have a work of art.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-06-29 07:16 ]

Pocky, listen to these folks!

I too WAY understand the whole instant gratification thing!

But the deal is - if you go out and buy something immediately just to have something immediately, you're 99% likely to get something that's sorta ok at best (and pure sh*t at worst). VERY soon, you'll be kicking yourself for having wasted your money, as you'll realize that what you want is the real thing.

The real thing is worth waiting for, Baby!

(And the real thing can be found for cheap! That's why we haunt garage sales, thrift stores and antique stores, looking for those "African" and "Alaskan" carvings!)

Patience, Grasshopper!

yeah i saw some of Benzart's stuff, it's pretty cool. Where's Al's thread? I saw some of his stuff and i loved it. I deffinately wanna load my dorm room up with tiki EVERYTHING! That would so rock my socks. thanks for the tips guys.

T

http://www.tikimania.com, Get the ape cd!

P

i must say. That Al, is one bad-ass singer. lol awesome music.

P

and i just realized the Hawaiian War Chant was in the Lion King, the section for Timmon and Pumba and diverting the hyennas and Timmon dresses in drag lol. awesome.

Pages: 1 11 replies