Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

I just found authentic American Somoa Tapa Cloth in my Home! Page 2

Pages: 1 31 replies

P

Only 16$! And from iParty none-the-less. Mind you i'm new to this whole Tiki thing (sorta) so when i saw this i flipped out and bought it. Mind you i had just been to Target, Linens N Things, Michaels AND Bed Bath and Beyond. I ALMOST got lucky at Bed Bath and Beyond, they had a framed mask, which i first thought was Tiki but alas...was not. 'Twas an african mask. Anyways, i also managed to score Pina Coloda Gum lol just to throw that in there. So with no further adu, here are my new babies lol.(that were made in China...):

[ Edited by: PockyTiki 2006-03-07 14:25 ]

[ Edited by: PockyTiki 2006-03-07 15:51 ]

T

Good start! Are those your first mugs?

P

yeah! I was originally thinking how lucky I was to stumble upon these....and at an interesting store to say the least. What was also funny, was that IParty was having a Luau theme going, so i scored the jackpot. If you guys want these mugs to add to your collection, just find ur nearest iParty! They have a whole Luau section.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Mar 3, 2006 11:19 PM

Haha - a fresh dose of tiki fever!

Good to see ya enjoyin it mate

Ah, youth...

P

I hope youth isn't a bad thing! I'm bringing Tiki into the next generation!

H

Hey PockyTiki, those were my first tiki mugs, too! Accoutrements in Seattle makes that set. I liked them because they were inexpensive & easily replaceable, so if one got broken, it wouldn't be a big deal. They also turned out to be fantastic for use at parties, because they're quite small, even though they don't look like it -- I could mix one drink and serve three people with it. They needed a refill pretty quickly, but at least it got drinks into everyone's hands very quickly.

yeah i'm just happy i found em. They make good decorations around my lava lamp. hehe

J

Those are the mugs that kicked off my collection as well. They serve as my "everday" tikiware now. Poured my first real zombie in the green one. Happy collecting PockyTiki!

thanks, man! Good luck with yours too

On 2006-03-04 11:57, Humuhumu wrote:
I could mix one drink and serve three people with it. They needed a refill pretty quickly, but at least it got drinks into everyone's hands very quickly.

I would hope that this is information Pocky won't be making use of until he/she is of legal drinking age.

lol i don't even know how to mix drinks. I drink virgin Pina Colodas anyways.

H

I was drinking drinks for decades before I started putting alcohol in them. I served many, many virgin Pina Coladas in those same tiki mugs myself.

damn...now you guys make me want a pina coloda. Good thing i bought Pina coloda gum!

On 2006-03-04 12:40, PockyTiki wrote:
damn...now you guys make me want a pina coloda. Good thing i bought Pina coloda gum!

Or you could buy a bag of these:

craves almond joy now

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Mar 7, 2006 9:35 AM

Uhhh Ohhh. Beware Pocky Beware. I have dumped alot of sheckles into these mugs now after catching the bug 2 years ago. I even remember flaming a certain cheeseburger in paradise mug (blushing) that is born of one of this Ohana's own. Now I can't find that mug. I have every Trader Vic, almost every Don, just started on the Munks, it just goes on forever. I even have my kids scouting for them. We have no room left, but, I always find a place for one more. Most of all....have fun. It's an adventure.

yes indeed it is. Even my mom was helping me out. She was listing off all these stores for me to try. Good times. Oh fyi on your space problems. Just make more shelves, they're not hard to make.

P

Here's the Tapa Cloth i was telling you about. There's 2 pieces. Very big too.

Anyways the story behind these: My grandparents both were stationed at the American Somoa during WW2 and they managed to purchase these beautiful tapa cloths from the natives. Mind you back in WW2 American Somoa was still very very indigenous. But my family had these laying in an old trunk down here in the basement and i just found em. Awesome stuff i say!

T

nice find!! keep digging around down there and see if you can find anything else.

P

well my grandparents have (supposedly) a TON of this stuff laying about in their home, so i wanna go over and investigate sometime, and possibly aprehend these babies. It's really neat material. Idk if you guys know this, but tapa cloth is made from wood and cloth. They literally POUND the wood down so much, that it forms Into the cloth material. Very cool.

Great find Pocky! It looks like you have grown up with tiki in your midst, but you didn't know it until now!

P

my grandparents are AVID travellers and have visited MANY places, including the Pacific, India, Africa, Europe, and China and Japan. All sorts of places. 3 years ago (?) they went to Australia as well.

Dude, stop changing the title of this post -- you're just inviting confusion. Start a new thread when you have something new. The tapa should have its own thread separate from the mug stuff.

Hope to see more cool finds from your grandparents. Cheers.

Lucky b*astard.

My grandparents and greatgrandparents (who did have some money back then) bought reproduction French froo-froo furniture in the 1920's (e.g., painted marbletop "commodes"(chests) when they COULD have bought:

A.) REAL antiques from the 1800's
B.) Cool-ass Art Nouveau items/furniture, cast-off and passe by the '20's
C.) Cooler-ass Art Deco anything, all the rage then
D.) Art from then not-very-known artists around the freakin' world (Picasso, French anybody, ah-hell-you-name-it)
E.) Anything cool and ethnic

But no.
Reproduction French Louis Whichever sh*t. I HATE froo-froo French furniture, even more when it's repro!! Porcelain lamps with shepherdesses and lotsa....uh...froo-froo sticky-out details on it (what else do you CALL that stuff??). HIDeous. I mean, it's worth something to people who love that kind of stuff, and you can believe my siblings and I will be selling it to them come the day!!

And sadly, all the family money is now gone (baaaaad business decisions through the decades, e.g, the great-uncle who told my newly-widowed grandmother in the late '40's, "Sell the lumberyard [one of the TOPS in Texas at that time]; you're a woman - you don't want to deal with business matters! Just sell it and get cash.")

The coolest thing I have from them is a photo of my maternal grandparents wearing mariachi/maja outfits for "Charro Days" in Brownsville.

I'd LOVE to find a trunk of tapa!! Congrats, PockyT! May the treasures continue to fall into your lap (and my your family make better businessmen than mine did) :)

On 2006-03-07 15:00, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
Dude, stop changing the title of this post -- you're just inviting confusion. Start a new thread when you have something new. The tapa should have its own thread separate from the mug stuff.

OR you could add your find to the end of the 'Tiki Finds' thread, it's one of my favorites, and I check it regularly.

P

well...someone said that i should just add stuff to one of my already existing threads...so it's partially not my fault. Sorry :( I'll take that into account.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Mar 7, 2006 6:29 PM

On 2006-03-07 15:40, PockyTiki wrote:
well...someone said that i should just add stuff to one of my already existing threads...so it's partially not my fault. Sorry :( I'll take that into account.

That was me. I was talking in regards to putting all your art in the one thread, but I wasnt clear enough. Sorry Pocky!

Cool tapa though! My nan apparently has a WWII era grass skirt hidden away somewhere.

P

Eh, it's alright! Hey ya learn somethin new everyday, right? WW2 era grass skirt eh? Wouldnt it be falling apart by now?

P

thanks for your positive response about this find., guys!

Tapa cloth is not made from wood and cloth. It is made from the inner bark of certain tropical trees. The inner bark is stripped and soaked and the fibers are pounded together with mallets, making a composite fabric similar to the way fur is made into felt.

eh...i got the tree and pounding part right. Close enough! lol

Pages: 1 31 replies