Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Forbidden Island: And We're Off!!

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

M

Aloooooooha!

I'm very happy to announce that escrow closed on Wednesday and Forbidden Island is underway!

Here's what we found:

We spent the day cleaning like mad. Found some pretty scary stuff in there, but we cracked out the hazmat suits and dug in.

At the end of the day:

Still doesn't look like much, I know, but the GC arrives tomorrow and Bamboo Ben starts tearing it up on Tuesday. Stay tuned for all the updates!

Mahalo everyone!

Very cool Martiki! Good 'clean' start! Do you think that the Budweiser neon is safe? You know that Bamboo Ben LOVES bud! (Have him show you his Bud tattoo.

Do you have drawn up plans or are you going to let Ben surprise you?

M

On 2006-03-05 17:00, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
Very cool Martiki! Good 'clean' start! Do you think that the Budweiser neon is safe? You know that Bamboo Ben LOVES bud! (Have him show you his Bud tattoo.

Do you have drawn up plans or are you going to let Ben surprise you?

I know all about Ben and his Bud issues!

Ben and I have talked quite a bit about the vision- he's ready to bring it to life!

Now, SCD, go hassle Holden so I get those mugs on time!! :wink:

Go kat go!
Has lotza tiki potential.
KG

H
hewey posted on Sun, Mar 5, 2006 5:59 PM

Cant wait to watch this bar be transformed by the masters! :)

P
pablus posted on Sun, Mar 5, 2006 5:59 PM

Braddah, you have no idea how much I wish I could be there to help you.
I love Alameda anyway. (Kamakura for sushi - it's fantastic.)

Have fun and enjoy watching Bamboo Ben destroy your pathetic, mortal concept of "hard worker."

I'll be there soon to enjoy the fruits of your labors.
You've got all the positive mana I can send out for you guys.

P

oh wow...I'm not even a builder and i can only imagine what you guys are gonna do to that place. Very cool.

Oooohhhh...blank slate!

magic is gonna happen MAGIC I say!

The Bud distributor didn't want his sign back? You ought to take it up to the brewery in Fairfield and leave it outside next to that fiberglass Clydesdale. :lol:

FYI, Martiki has asked me to do the custom embroidery for the staff shirts! Whee!

are we there yet?
(can't wait!!!)

T

always love before and after pics.

Have loads of fun.

Thanks for sharing.

Oh yesssss!
Looks like a place with tremendous potential... can't wait to see the transformation get underway.
Please let me know if you may need an extra hand when things start happening.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Oh yeah... Did ya ever hear back about the sign?

M

Thanks for all the kind words!!

By the way, we're doing our decorating with Oriental Trading Co.

Check it out:

It's a tiki-bar in a box! Just roll it on the walls and you're all set.

Boobam, yer fired! :wink:

On 2006-03-05 22:47, martiki wrote:
It's a tiki-bar in a box! Just roll it on the walls and you're all set.

That is too creepy! :o

G

Woo hoo! Another tiki bar is born (well, conceived anyway)! We will all be watching with great anticipation for the progress pictures. Have you started working on your menu yet? (I'm sure you have.) Can you divulge what's going to be on it or are you leaving that for a surprise?

Wishing you all the best. This is really exciting to watch!

M

i am getting thirsty!

GatorRob wrote:[/i]
Have you started working on your menu yet? (I'm sure you have.) Can you divulge what's going to be on it or are you leaving that for a surprise?

Don't you know, successful tiki bars don't have menus.
HA!
Robertiki

kopy kats. you rock!

T

Martiki - here's that concept art you wanted of how Forbidden Island will look. I know you wanted more signs. I'll see what I can do...

H

Nice work Tiki-bot, but you need to leave some room for the ESPN TV monitors.

Edit: Cool! I see you went back and added them! Ha!

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2006-03-15 22:54 ]

M

On 2006-03-06 13:07, Tiki-bot wrote:
Martiki - here's that concept art you wanted of how Forbidden Island will look. I know you wanted more signs. I'll see what I can do...

I can't wait for "Fore-beer-den Ale-land" to open up!!! The Golf & beer themed tiki bar!

My kind of bar, ZAZZ! PS- needs more Corona signs (and Cowbells).

Don't forget DeKuyper drink specials, Martiki! :)

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2006-03-06 13:32 ]

Something tells me we won't be having the same discussion about respecting the former decor (keeping the Bud lamp because it's original) as we did with the conquistador lamps at Hale Tiki :lol:

Cannot WAIT to watch the enfolding.
F

What? No PBR for the RockaSilly crowd? Ha, just kidding. Nice neon bombardment Tiki-bot! Did anyone notice he even added the neon reflection on the ground?

Martiki, will you be snagging any Trader Vic's employees your way, along with some recipes?

MT

Good work, Tiki-Bot. Needs more parrots. And Raider's fans.

More Cow Bell!

I can't wait to see some more progress shots. You've got my support all the way, representing the Canadian contingent.

Howdy Ya'll!!

Weell, Looks like I'm on the road agaaain!!! Will be back up north in the "Bay Area" buildin' another Tiki Baarrr tomorrrow. This one is gonna have a "Cow Boy Feel" to it. Lot's of "Hard Woooood"!! I gotto go and "pack my saddles" now. See Ya'all soooooon........

Yee Haw!!

Feelin' the love of the lasso and leather!! And the Tiki tooo!!!

On 2006-03-06 13:07, Tiki-bot wrote:
Martiki - here's that concept art you wanted of how Forbidden Island will look.

What, no Guinness? I guess I won't be stopping by after all!
:D

P
pablus posted on Tue, Mar 7, 2006 4:58 AM

BB, after seeing that poster of you in cowboy regalia, I'm certain you need to release the tropical itch and head for Montana.

What a handsome, burly... man's man you are.

XOXOXO,
pablus

M

I am getting thirsty , too!

Thanks for all the kind words!! Can't wait. We got to pull out a urinal yesterday! Yummy!

Tiki-Bot: Classic! And really acurate, too.

Sadly, they got to the cardboard Raider Girl before we could reuse her.

And boobam, funny you should mention it:

T

What, no Guinness? I guess I won't be stopping by after all!
:D

There's a Guinness sign there....and it's a pelican!

On 2006-03-07 07:42, Tiki-bot wrote:
There's a Guinness sign there....and it's a pelican!

Dammit! I need more sleep.....

Is somebody like my sister-in-law to whom any bird bigger than a sparrow is a pelican? :lol:

B

Well, eff me...
(but the one on the sign still looks like a toucan to me...)

TB

Sorry to go off topic, but the toucan is the main mascot for Guinness.

TBird.

On 2006-03-07 11:06, purple jade wrote:
Well, eff me...
(but the one on the sign still looks like a toucan to me...)

You're right PJ, the one in neon is a toucan. Mr. P knows his pelican's though, I LOVE pelicans, they are my favorite bird....

Now see I thought Tiki-bot was ribbing cynner about not knowing what a pelican was.

T

Here's the pic I used. I think it's supposed to represent a necessarily low-rez neon version of the image Badmojo posted, which is most definitely a pelican. Though I think this looks more like a pigeon.

But the tail is up like the toucan's.
(Gawd, this is so sad, we're debating about a neon bar sign and we're not even in the bar, drunk hahahahaha)

Perhaps it's some mutant X-bird?

[ Edited by: purple jade 2006-03-07 13:39 ]

Pelicans, Toucans, Sealions, Surfers! Guinness used them all.

(I worked for Guiness painting pub murals in Ireland)

UB

Apologies for hijacking a thread.
And now...
Back to Forbidden Island.

C

T

Nice!

T
thejab posted on Tue, Mar 7, 2006 5:52 PM

Chongolio, that is effin hilarious! :lol: Are they gonna have Skeenerd on the jukebox?

M

YIKES!! i HOPE Martiki doesn't let his cousin come in!!! PS-Looks like someone I have seen at Alameda's POP INN on Karaoke Nights!

M

Now that's what I'm talking about. Alameda is not too far for this type of fun. I see there may be a dress code involved, but I can hang. Now, if somehow "Forbidden Island" could be designated as a type of ecclesiastical center that'd be rad. Such classification, at least within the CDCR, would be a godsend. The ankle bracelet and all, pretty much limits me to doctor visits and church. Seeing I already visit "Dr Butterfly" at Madam Lee's recuparative medical center twice a week, all I gots left is church.

The Right Reverend Martin? Happy Mass everyday 4-6pm. I see the light!! I see the LIGHT!!! (colorful too)

Going straight to hell, not stopping, not even slowing down,
midnite

MT

On 2006-03-07 18:11, mrsmiley wrote:
PS-Looks like someone I have seen at Alameda's POP INN on Karaoke Nights!

You mean this guy, with the "I Don't Give A F***" t-shirt? The President of the "Save Lincoln's Address Committee"? They definitely were sharing the same set of false teeth!!!

Pages: 1 2 62 replies