Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Some Proper Tool Care Questions

Pages: 1 4 replies

I did a search but I didn't find the answers I was looking for....so if this has been asked before I apologize.

A. When storing chisels in a tool roll does one place them cutting edge or handle first into the pockets?

B. I recently purchased a few Pfeil chisels at my local Woodcraft location. They came lightly lubricated inside their packaging. Is it necessary or recommended that one oil their chisels every so often along with proper sharpening etc?

Thanks in advance...

[ Edited by: Chairman Kaga 2006-03-06 12:35 ]

P

A. Whenever i look at my dad's tool belt, his chisels always have the handles down, in the pocket. Chisel up.

B. I would think lubricating it keeps it from rusting if you're not using it for a long period of time. I wouldn't think of lubricating it, but that's just me.

And C: I love your name. Iron Chef rules.

I'll bite.

A. I store my chisels blade-in-pocket. Is it correct? I don't know, but it keeps the blades from smacking into each other; a condition I'm not concerned with as far as the handles go.

B. I tend to hold my chisels high on the blade, low on the handle, which imparts some undesirable perspiration onto the metal. So I always wipe down blades with a little WD40 before storage. The only downside I can think of to this is that it MAY cause discoloration of the wood if there's too much oil on the blade.

[And then, more experienced carvers chimed-in.]

B

You should place your chisels into the roll Handle first. The roll is designed in such a way so when you roll it up, the blades never touch each other. If you have the blade in first, you have to remove the tool to see what it is.
Also it is a good idea to lube your chisels often. I use a #0000 Steelwool soaked in oil. It removes the sap and other crud that accumulates on the tools.
Good question Chairman Kaga.

Thanks fo the info. I see what you mean about how the roll is designed to prevent the blades from banging into each other.

Pages: 1 4 replies