Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Bar Business

Pages: 1 11 replies

We are now in our third month of business. As a newbie, I was hoping to get feedback from bar owners and anyone with thoughts on the following:

1. Co-Promotions... A friend advised taking a cooperative vs competitive approach in regards to local Hawaiian theme companies, Tiki Bars, etc. We would like to run with this idea and work with as many bars as possible in celebrating lei day this May. I think that if several businesses worked together in promoting this Hawaiian holiday and offering the same specials, we will receive good press. Has anyone seen this happen? If so, can you share your experieces? I had the door slammed on me when contacting Chef Shangrila. Next Monday, I meet with the owner of the Canoe Club. I hope they will be receptive?

2. Expansion... Can anyone share details of Tiki Bars (smaller bars in particular) that expanded within its first year? I know the risks of growing too quickly. We are a small place and lose much business every weekend because of the wait. There may be an opportunity to expand in the near future.

As a small/new bar owner, I appreciate any advice you can give.

Aloha
Scott

PS Check us out in the Tribune today.. there is a small mention of the Tiki Terrace.. on page 3 I think???

R

Scott - no advice, just an observation: your food was WONDERFUL when we were at Tiki Terrace for dinner. Even though we were blown away by the decor and the drinks and we would come back for those things alone, we are even more excited that we get to eat there again!

T

Hey TikiTerrace...
Nice going on just making your place a tiki only ... Alot of 'STUDS' on this forum says it can't be done !!! [no names mentioned] ...
Hat Tip to you

K

Bar Crawls are a fun activity that you can always get other bars in on. It's a great way to bring in new people, and creats some excitement. Have some shirts made-up and away you go...

Mahalo for the pointers and feedback. Again, we are new to the business and really appreciate any and all advice, input, feedback!

I met with Ed, the owner of the Canoe Club in Orland Park today... really nice guy and a very impressive venue! He has a great passion for Hawaii! They have some really great plans for this summer including a huge outdoor luau event. So stay tuned to their site for upcoming info. http://www.thecanoeclubrestaurant.com/

And most exciting, Canoe Club is very much into the idea of collaborating for upcoming events. Ed actually suggested the idea before I had a chance!

I'll keep looking for more Hawaiian theme companies, restaurants, bars in the Midwest to jump on board. So far there are 3. If you know of any others that may be interested, please let me know. The hope is to bring Hawaiian entertainers to the Midwest. Ususally, the big name Hawaiian bands tour the islands, Japan, and the West coast. But it is rare for Midwest appearances. For some of the smaller bars/venues like Tiki Terrace, the immediate profits of booking these names are little to none (and possibly a loss), but the potential press and exposure is great.

Again, continued input is much appreciated... Aloha!!!
Scott
PS.. thanks to JT for his sound tech expertise... he really knows his stuff.

We are a small place and lose much business every weekend because of the wait.

Hey Scott -- people will always run faster to avoid a loss than for a gain, and in the case of people having to wait for tables at your place, if a place is really good, they'll wait -- or they'll RUN to get there faster next time to avoid having to wait!

Hopefully, you can keep 'em at the bar while they do. I don't have to tell you about THAT profit center. Nah, it's a good problem to have.

By the way, my hapa-haole trio Haole Kats!!! would sure love to play there some weekend if we get back up that way again. We're in the Tampa, FL area (www.whollycatsband.com). We were up last July to play for Exotica, and stayed with friends in Prospect Heights, though I don't think you were open yet.

Anyway, looks like a great place. Keep it all good, braddah...

TJ

Hey Kanekila... I see your from Safety Harbor.... I used to live down the street from the Bowling Ball House on 10th... Move to Seminole/Largo so I could up Tiki Hut ..To many trees in downtown .....Hope to catch your band ...
Later

S

Too small can really be an advantage. It's the "Carney Principal": A crowd draws a crowd. Col. Tom Parker used to book Elvis in places too small for him when a large venue was nearby. The sell outs made the crowd more excited and added to the hype. It will keep people coming back and on slower nights, it will seem more crowded than it would otherwise. Better a small place that's occasionally got a wait than a large place that is almost always empty.

You can work that to your advantage though. If you anticipate the wait and get out there with a book and A) offer to take a reservation B) hand them a card for a small discount of some kind for when they come back. Something to entice them to return and not be POed and never come back. But they will come back. They will start to try you on Wednesday instead of Friday...

S

Scott, How about some pictures for those of us trapped too far away to visit.I'd love to see what your place looks like.

Pictures, hell, I'd like to know this place's locale.
Robert

Saxotica, you can check out the Tiki Terrace website at http://www.thetikiterrace.com/ They've got a good selection of pictures there.

Scott, My family and I love the place. Each time we visit, I bring along a different friends or family, and each and every one of them also loves your place. The food is great, the drinks are fantastic, the decor and entertainment are also superb.

I'm afraid I can't offer much in the way of restaurant business experience (although I put myself through college washing dishes!), but having been there on the weekend, I know you could fill a significantly larger place with patrons.

Good luck with the proposed expansion. And as before, I only live a few miles away. If you need a hand with something, please give me a shout. You have all my contact info on the vip card application.

Thanks,

Dave "Tiki Flange" Richter

PS - The new Carribbean Comfort drink was very good, and a combination I never would have thought of!

S

Thanks, Dave! Man, what a place. We need something like that in Athens, Ga. BK, I'm looking at you...

Pages: 1 11 replies