Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Trader Vic's Atlanta 30th Anniversary!

Pages: 1 42 replies

I am so pleased to announce the Official 30th Anniversary Bash of Trader Vic's Atlanta. All the details can be found HERE And I'm just as excited that James Teitelbaum is assisting me on this project as well.

I hope some of you that are attending Tiki Oasis can come out the weekend prior to enjoy this special event and those of you that need your Tiki fix prior to Hukilau can make the trip to celebrate the survival of one of the best Vic's locations today!

*Tickets are $10 for each night!
*April 28th at the Starlight Drive-In with vintage movie trailers and feature movie TBA - with Trailer Vic's (yes, it's a trailer) servin' up some concoctions, Tiki Torch Marshmallow roasting and Johnny Knox and Hi Test playin' on the concession stand! Arrive early with your own coolers & cookout gear and picnic under the stars! Tiki carving given to the best car space decor!
*King Kukulele MC's all weekend!
April 29th:
*Make your dinner reservations for exclusive cuisine!
*View Oceanic Arts decor that has been in storage since 1976!
*Trader Vic's door prizes
*Haole Kats!
*Cocktail Preachers!
*Atlanta hula troupe - Hula Halau Kapilialoha!
*Temptation potion giveaway!
*$4.50 Mai Tai's
*many more announcements to be made

details on how to book your reservations is on the site and just check out the $89 room rate at the Hilton in Atlanta!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2006-03-08 18:31 ]

This sounds really sweet...
KG

T

Wow!!! It looks like Tiki Kiliki and JT have done it again...
Cocktail Preachers!!!
Haole Kats!!!
Johnny Knox & Hi-Test!!!
King Kukulele!!!
plus Trader Vic's!!! The Starlight 6 Drive In.... and more...
This looks like one hell of a show... and would be well worth the trip to Atlanta...

I only wish that I had not already made plans for that weekend... [:(]
Everyone should drink more rum to make up for me not being there!!!

Cheers!
Brian Crum
The Intoxicators!

T

On 2006-03-09 08:18, Tikigoob wrote:
Everyone should drink more rum to make up for me not being there!!!

I think we can manage that.

P

The Amber Love Goddess and myself will be in London on that night.

I propose we have a co-celebration at the London Trader Vics together with our British ohana, and raise a glass for the anniversary of the ATL vics.

What say ye, lords and ladies of the kingdom?

T

Sounds good Pablus.

We'll coordinate a specific time, adjusted for time time zone, and toasts will occur.

And once again, the event's official site is here:

http://www.tikikiliki.com/tiki/tntvics.htm

Also, see the event's MySpace profile here:

http://www.myspace.com/tradervics

Oh Poo!!!

Or is that Opu?

Anyhow... I, too, have plans already. Susan and I are participating in the production of the biggest damn luau either of us have ever helped plan and/or produce for a friend's birthday on the 29th. Sadly, it occurs to the North of us while Atlanta happens to be to our South.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm... Maybe, though, if I drive really, really fast...?

If we don't get to see you guys we'll make sure we Toast along with the entire expatriate cadre (and pump out plenty good mana to Hotlana).

Boy, this is REALLY tempting!!! Hmmmmmmmmmm.............

Will somebody take pictures of the OA stuff? And post them.

Jeff, you just gotta make it! Would love to see you more than once a year!

Yea Jeff, C'mon Bra !!! You can bring me some White Castles EH ???
Joe/Haole Kats

On 2006-03-30 11:26, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Jeff, you just gotta make it! Would love to see you more than once a year!

Thanks Tiki Kiliki,
I am saving up for the Tiki Oasis but if things work out I could possibly make it down there. I would definitely like to see you guys more than once a year. It really sounds like a fun event!!

Hey Wholly Cat, I'll be sure to bring those slyders down if I make it! They would probably kick me off the plane because of the smell though. Damn onions!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

The Mrs and I are on the way.
Hope to meet some folks there! None of our usual bunch is coming with.

T

EdgarAllen...

Come on over and introdce yourself to me or Christie (we'll be the ones running the show), and we'll point you in the direction of all the other TC'ers in the crowd.

I've yet to meet a Centralite who wasn't into the idea of hoisting a few Zombies with a new member of the tribe.

This just in! For those of you that missed the Tiki Art Show and auction at Tiki Torch Nights Atlanta last November, you'll have your chance once again! I was lucky enough to bid on a painting by Shane Morton and won - and of course Tyson McAddo will amaze us with yet another creation, if you haven't checked him out yet you should http://www.tysonmcadoo.com/

Join some of Atlanta's most talented artists on Saturday as the show unfolds at Trader Vic's! Show to be organized by the lovely Julie Odom.

More info to follow!

On 2006-04-04 22:22, tikibars wrote:
EdgarAllen...

Come on over and introdce yourself to me or Christie (we'll be the ones running the show), and we'll point you in the direction of all the other TC'ers in the crowd.

I've yet to meet a Centralite who wasn't into the idea of hoisting a few Zombies with a new member of the tribe.

Hey Thanks!
The Mrs and I are rolling in Thursday Night, probably check out some of the Rockabilly haunts like the Vortex and Star Bar and then Its Tiki Time Friday and Saturday. We are really looking forward to this event. Working on our Tailgate Set Up and Menu.
Weird Question? Is is the Drive In Paved? If it is, I have to make stands for our torches.

S

On 2006-04-10 08:51, edgarallencoe wrote:

EdgarAllen...

Hey Thanks!
The Mrs and I are rolling in Thursday Night, probably check out some of the Rockabilly haunts like the Vortex and Star Bar and then Its Tiki Time Friday and Saturday. We are really looking forward to this event. Working on our Tailgate Set Up and Menu.
Weird Question? Is is the Drive In Paved? If it is, I have to make stands for our torches.

The Drive In is paved. Star Bar, yes, Vortex, no. Look into the Earl for 'billy music too.

On 2006-04-10 09:04, Swanky wrote:

On 2006-04-10 08:51, edgarallencoe wrote:

EdgarAllen...

Hey Thanks!

The Drive In is paved. Star Bar, yes, Vortex, no. Look into the Earl for 'billy music too.

Thanks For the Heads Up, The Earl, will do.

Ok, so I hate to be the only one posting and sounding ike such a dork, but..
Is everyone staying at the Hilton?
This is our first Tiki event. We are old veterans of the RAB weekender stuff, Viva Las Vegas, Heavy Rebel, Blood, Sweat and Gears and so on, so I am curious as to the whole thing.

T

The Hilton is the best place to stay for Trader Vic's 30th.
I've stayed there a few times, and love that I can zoom up the elevator to my room when I've reached my Mai Tai limit!!!

The Hilton is where everyone will stay and should stay - the $89 rate given for the event is unheard of and I was very happy that they were so gracious!

After the Drive In you should most definitely try to make it over to the Star Bar for Rocket 350, they should be hitting the stage around midnight! And if you're in town on Wednesday the 26th head to the Earl for the Buck Owens tribute - Sonoramic Commando is playing and they are fantastic!

See you in just 2 1/2 wks!

Oh, I know all about the Rocket 350, they play Charlotte some with my friends Jem Crossland and The Hypertonics.

Bumped this one up since the festivities start FRIDAY! 8)

I can't wait. Looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and meeting new ones. TC ohana rule!

Got dinner reservations at 7:45....and a date with the hair of the dog. Gotta remember to knock the mud off my shoes...

Swamp Tiki

Woo Hooo, on our way 1st thing tomorrow morning!

I believe you guys might be able to catch James or myself in the bar at Trader Vic's tonight if you want to join us. We'll be discussin' Hukilau and relaxing with a nice Mai Tai!

Be sure to look for us everyone and please say hello!

The Cooktail Preachers and the Haole Kats are on the road!

Johnny Knox is tuning his guitar!

Me and King Kukulele are packing our bags to fly out tomorrow!

Christie is on her way right now!

Everything is coming together for the big bash this weekend...

DON'T MISS IT!

For those of you still in the dark...

(copied and pasted from our MySpace page):

" Trader Vic's in Atlanta is one of the most spectacular authentic vintage Tiki restaurants in the USA. It was the last of the original 1940s-1970s era Trader Vic's to be built in the USA, and it is one of the very best.

We are celebrating it's 30th anniversary on April 28 and 29, 2006.

The Friday, April 28 festivities will be held at Atlanta's Starlight Drive in and will include a Tikirific double feature (Island of the Lost Women and Beach Party), a performance by Atlanta Rockabilly legends Johnny Knox and Hi-Test, Master of Ceremonies King Kukulele from Los Angeles, and much more.

Deck your vehicle out like a roving Tiki bar and win a prize for best in show. Also visit Knox's "Trailer Vic's", a mobile Tiki bar in a trailer! Bring your ukulele for a singalong, and don't forget to bring the marshmallows to roast with your picnic dinner.

Visit Trader Vic's afterwards for late night cocktails and a warm up for Saturday's big birthday bash!

On Saturday April 29, we move to Trader Vic's at the Altanta Hilton, for the main event. Chicago's astounding Cocktail Preachers are making the trek south entertain you with their custom surf-exotica sounds, and Florida's own amazing Haole Kats will be there to play their swingin' hapa haole (Hawaiian) tunes. King Kukulele will continue to entertain. We'll also have hula dancers from Hula Halau Kapilialoha with special guest, Richard Klaunan, plus a Tiki art show and auction, and much, much more.

Mai Tais are only $4.50.

Dinner reservations will be nescessary if you want to eat, so make your reservation NOW.

If you don't want dinner, just show up for the show any time you like!

Cover charge is $10 per night, payable at the door. Admission on Saturday is free if you have dinner at Trader Vic's, Call NOW to make your dinner reservation, it will DEFINITELY fill up.

Out of town guests may take advantage of a special $89 room rate at the Atlanta Hilton (the hotel that Trader Vic's is in) all weekend. Call the hotel and use code "PR" to get the rate. (404) 659-2000.

This event is being produced by Tikikiliki Productions who are responsible for the legenday Tiki Torch Nights events at Trader Vic's in Atlanta, and at the Mai Kai restaurant in Florida, as well as the big kahuna of all Tiki events, the Hukilau.

Also involved in event coordination is Tiki Road Trip productions, aka James Teitelbaum - author of the books Tiki Road Trip and Big Stone Head, producer of Tabu Tiki Nights at the Chicago Trader Vic's, and entertainment director of Hukilau 2005 and 2006.

For more info, see: http://www.tikikiliki.com/tiki/tntvics.htm

or

http://www.myspace.com/tradervics

"

[ Edited by: tikibars 2006-04-30 19:25 ]

Man, you make some plans to sway with the palm trees in Atlanta and the next thing ya know everybodys bummin a ride. Here's hoping for a great weekend. Drive safe everybody.

T

Holey Moley, this party was a gas.

Pics coming soon!

All of you who were at the Drive-in will remember this gem:

"You will experience physical collapse!"

And the quote of the night in the Haole Kats' after party last night was
(tied):

[singing]
"In the room 2524..."
[/singing]

and:

"SHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

Yowza!

Thanks a lot to all who came out - it was a great time!

Hey All,
Had a blast this weekend
Had a great time meeting everyone, hope to see you again real soon.
If your coming through Charlotte, let us know.
I have my pics up at http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2106816974
I will include a few here soon.

[ Edited by: edgarallencoe 2006-05-01 07:08 ]

ST

What a great weekend! That Atlanta Hilton is one heck of a spot to settle in for a weekend of Tiki Madness. Those exterior elevetors were great...a little chilly but bearable with the Mai Tai's. Met a lot of great folks and look forward to doing it again. Oh,...and I'm still waiting for the Martin Denny CD..Ha:)

Hang Loose!

Swamp.

K

A big MAHALO NUI LOA to everyone at TV's, and to all the folks that came out for the festivities. I do believe a great time was had by all.

Many special thank yous out to James T., Tiki Kiliki for arranging everything, and of course, to King Kukulele once again for making me laugh until Mai Tai came through my ihu.

We tried to have King Kukulele call Pablus and his wahine at the London Trader Vic's about 8:30 Atlanta time, but that meant it was at least 1:30, and more probably 2:30 London time, and it went to his voicemail. We wante to have Pablus address the entire group over the mic via cellphone in some sort of primitive form of simulcast, but alas, it was not to be.

Many thanks to all the nice folks who came up to our party In The Roooooooooom 2524..., especially all you Cocktail Preachers. You cats sounded great, and are a heckuva bunch of nice cats, too. Sure wish that sound man would have eschewed that stupid fog machine, though. I was coughing my head off the whole next day.

Also shouts out to our new friends Joe and Nicole from Manhattan, and Lisa and Martha from Nashville. Y'all were a lot of fun to hang out with!

T

On 2006-05-02 06:38, Kanekila wrote:

This pic should have been shown at the drive in on Friday:

ATTACK OF THE 50-FOOT KING (and James)!

T

Christie goes bananas!

Christie and Denny just after we arrived at the Starlight Six.

Christie, James, and Lisa.

Cocktail Preachers giving a sermon.

Dave (Basement Kahuna) and Liz (I Dream of Tiki) In The Room 2524.

King Kukulele, Derek Yaniger and Kim.

Haole Kats on the stage during soundcheck.

Proof that these events make the coordinators crazy.

Johnny Knox and Hi Test at the Starlight Six.

Kim, Dave, Liz, Derek, and Denny.

Christie and our pals from Washington DC.

Winners of the best-in-show award for mobile Tiki bars.

In the Room 2524, it's a recipe for chaos: 3/4 of the Cocktail Preachers, 2/3 of the Haole Kats, and King Kukulele, 1/2 out of his mind!

In the Room 2524, pals from New York and Nashville.

In the Room 2524, the house is a-rockin'... until security comes knockin'!
Shhhhhhhhh!

Florida, DC, and Tennesee, all representing In The Room 2524.

I counted 27 people In The Room 2524. Somehow it didn't feel crowded, and somehow, the Cruzan didn't even run out. We were blessed with good times, good booze, and good people.

If you got some of the free Bettie Page movie swag, or Roger Corman t-shirts that King Kukulele was passing out at the Drive-In, thank the gal on the right in this pic - Shelley - who works for the movie promotion firm. She also gave me some good tips on bars to hit in NYC (McSorley's anyopne?), amd mixes up a mean Dark N' Stormy (rum, ginger beer, and lime).

Burlesque queens Susi and Eva.

That was a stone hoot! Lotsa lotsa fun. And all faces, familiar and new- were happy. My hats off to das organizers. My toast to good friends and Vic's in the hopes that it'll still be around and I'll still have my own personal table ("Of course, right this way...and you know your money's no good here Mr. Wolfe")...when I'm old. Denny Moynahan rocks...He is The Who-kelele.

T

Damn I'm pissed - I would have loved to make that one. BK - you look like you had too much fun! (That aint possible)...

Orchid Wahini - You rock! Thanks for representing DC... It musta been cool.

Waaa boo hoo... mumble mumble...

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-05-02 16:21 ]

HK

What a great time! Here are some of my pics...the album can be viewed at http://www.shutterfly.com/view/pictures.jsp

Yeesh...I d i d n o t have my rock "photogenic" on that weekend...I'll try to improve that for the next event... :)

Hey Everybody - GREAT time in Atlanta last weekend. First Tiki event for Nicole and me and it was outstanding. Thanks to Martha and Lisa for saving us at the drive-in - it would have been a long walk back to the Hilton.

Nice to hanging out with the Haole Kats too - you guys rock and thanks for allowing all the loud drunks to carry on the party in 2524. SHHHHHHHHH!

We are looking forward to the next event (Florida?). Here's some photos.

Joe & Nicole

JAMES!!

What happened to your HAIR?!?

P
pablus posted on Fri, May 5, 2006 5:09 AM

He wants to look like Kanekila and Josh.

Sycophant.

T

On 2006-05-05 05:09, pablus wrote:
He wants to look like Kanekila and Josh.

That's it, you got me!

No, seriously, I thought I'd try the chrome dome look for a bit... but by the end of the weekend it was getting a little stubbly...

I am so sorry these pics are so late. I've been terribly busy with Tiki Torch Nights at the Mai Kai and decorating my new place.

Special thanks to James Teitelbaum, David Piscola and Marlies van der Hout of the Hilton and Trader Vic's and the entire staff of Trader Vic's, Terri Oldknow of the Starlight Drive-In, King Kukulele, the Haole Kats (you guys are wonderful!!), the Cocktail Preachers, Derek Yaniger, Torchy Taboo (for rescuing me!), Hula Halau Kapilialoha!, Richard, Heidi and the amazing musicians, all the artists that participated and everyone that attended. Also, thanks to I Dream of Tiki and Karbora for helping me with the giveaways that night and for all the girl talk!

The beginning of the event on Friday - the Starlight Drive-In

a festive couple arrives early

Terri Oldknow, owner of the Drive-In takes a break for a photo

an entry in the Best Decorated Tiki Space contest

attendees finding their favorite spot

The main stage area directly in front of the concession stand

Close up of the Trailer Vic's sign - they had drinks comin' all night!

close up of the bar

another entry in the Best Decorated Tiki Space contest!

waiting for the show to begin

The winners of the Best Decorated Tiki Space contest!

winners again - they had more decor than this, I snapped these photos as they were just unloading and setting everything up.

The glorious big screen as the Vintage Trailer Show begins.

Don Rickles on the big screen - more trailers.

Saturday night as the stage is set up - check out that huge piece of Tapa!

David Piscola shows me the 30+year old package that was unwrapped to reveil the amazing tiki below!

Here it is - BK said this was a Leroy Schmaltz. Lying in Vic's backroom for 30 years. How amazing.

Trader Vic's graphic painted by one of the kitchen employees at Vic's.

The stage starts coming together - T.J. from the Haole Kats can't wait!

The Haole Kats 1st set begins at 8:00pm

Hula Halau Kapilialoha!!

Masks that were designed by Jim Stacy for the Mastodon video shot recently

More Tiki art that was included in the display.

Tiki Kiliki and Derek Yaniger!!

King Kukulele, Tiki Kiliki & Basement Kahuna two of my most favorite people in the world!!

me outside Victory Vintage in Decatur!

One of the best views of Atlanta - from Karbora's room.

Pages: 1 42 replies