Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki at Sears

Pages: 1 14 replies

H

For Spring of 2006 Sears has published a catalog of outdoor furniture and accessories. I'm sure a better bar could be found for less but it's nice to see that the Tiki lights are not using garish colors.

Here is page 23:

H

And yes, from an Illuminati standpoint the fact that Tiki was on page 23 did not go unnoticed.

Is that a Sears tiki? :lol:

H

On 2006-03-08 21:56, cynfulcynner wrote:

Nordstroms will be next.

T

On 2006-03-08 21:56, cynfulcynner wrote:

Or is that a Mexican Tiki?

My mom will love it! She buys a lot of stuff from the Sears Catalog! That's cool! Tiki for the Masses! Does the Monkey on the bar come with it?

It's a good thing!

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-03-08 22:10 ]

E

Didn't Hala Kahiki get all their Witco Tiki carvings from Sears back in the 60's?
Glad to see that Sears is backing tiki again.

On 2006-03-09 07:05, exotica59 wrote:
Didn't Hala Kahiki get all their Witco Tiki carvings from Sears back in the 60's?
Glad to see that Sears is backing tiki again.

they got all their witco directly from the witco showrooms that were here in the 50's and 60's.....back when witco actually had showrooms where you can buy the stuff right outta the joint...

sadly, sears and target and such are really not "backing" tiki...they, like so many other big chains are just cashing in on the latest craze (once again) and all the suckers willing to be separted from their hard earned dollars in an endless pursuit of more low quality tiki crap to adorn their homes (however, I will note that some of it, but not much, qualifies as quality crap). no suprise, and I'm not saying they shouldn't sell it or that it's wrong, it just is what it is and it's good to keep that in perspective...after all, sears was capitalizing on the trend the first time around too!! it's just business....

On 2006-03-09 19:22, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
sadly, sears and target and such are really not "backing" tiki...they, like so many other big chains are just cashing in on the latest craze (once again) and all the suckers willing to be separted from their hard earned dollars in an endless pursuit of more low quality tiki crap to adorn their homes...

Dude, did you just call witco 'crap'? :wink:

So what's to say that the items they used to sell weren't crap? I mean really, we collect mugs that were given away as advertising. At the time, it was all considered crap! And many people still feel that way about it. We just happen to like what some people call crap. 50 years from now that set of sears lights might fetch $1 at a garage sale, or maybe $50 to future tiki collectors, who find themselves surrounded by new crap! The cycle continues.

K
KAHAKA posted on Thu, Mar 9, 2006 9:44 PM

I stick my tongue out and make a "pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb" sound at this bar. Yuck.

I love the lights. It IS hard to find any that aren't all sorts of bright colors. I prefer that amber glow.

I love when any mainstream store like this hops on the Tiki bandwagon, sometimes that's the only way for us New Englanders to have easy access to misc. tiki accoutrements!

quote:
Dude, did you just call witco 'crap'? :wink:
quote;

ya know, tikibars and i had this discusion the other nite at hala kahiki when we noticed that they may have hung up some new witco pieces we hadn't seen before in the back room......and I remember saying that though I loved the witco stuff because of it's history, it's overall aesthetic and it's relationship to the tiki culture in general, on another level, it is truely some of the weakest, stylized 60'/70's tiki crap going ......in it's context though it's great stuff. This is good for us because most of the general public hates it and this is probably why we keep finding witco pieces in the wild......noone but us wants them but us!!!

I gotta say I do like those brown tiki lights.....these are good example of good tiki crap...in the earlier post i was refering to the mountains of party store tiki crap and alot of the hastiliy produced tiki crap designed to get to the marketplace in a hurry to make the fastest buck off the trend, aesthetics be damned!! It's this crap that I wish we didn't support, but as the post above me points out, what's a tiki collector to do when that crap is the only stuff available!!

While were on the subject I found these two pendants in a Sears catalog from 1962. The sport coat and shorts are called a "Tapa Type" print but they look more like cordory than anything polynesian.

I just ordered the Tiki stake lights from Sears. Although I am new to Tiki, I will post an opinion & some pictures of them in case anyone wants to read it or see them.

Be careful with those stake lights.

I've got some, and the plastic is very brittle, so make sure you never try pushing the stake in while the tiki is on it, the bottoms shatter fast!

But the look in the backyard is great!

(the one I broke, I just painted with a faux granite spray paint and it looks great in my tiki lounge)

THANK YOU,I'll remember that. I appreciate the help.

Pages: 1 14 replies