Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Disney does Devo

Pages: 1 16 replies

H
T

Can't wait to hear the kids' version of "Penetration in the Centerfold".

H

On 2006-03-09 13:25, Tiki-bot wrote:
Can't wait to hear the kids' version of "Penetration in the Centerfold".

I'm sure the wait won't be long. They're already doing "Uncontrollable Urge".

T

Selling out, or subversion from within the very heart of corporate America?

That's Devo's genius - you've never been sure which is the case... could be both.

Uncontollable Urge - it's all about context.
Adults know it's about fucking, but the exact same lyric, sung by and for kids, might be percieved to be about raiding the cookie jar or something...

T

I'm sure the wait won't be long. They're already doing "Uncontrollable Urge".

But there's something so right about 14-year-olds singing about the Uncontrollable Urges they're having.

[ Edited by: Tiki-bot 2006-03-09 22:22 ]

P

the urge to party it up with Barney the purple dinosaur!

At least they're introducing these kids to Eero Aarnio Pastille chairs, so there's some hope for their future good taste.

I also noticed that they changed the lyrics of "Through With Being Cool" from "Eliminate the ninnies and the twits" to "Eliminate the time you waste in cliques". How very pc of Disney.

Sabu

On 2006-03-09 14:03, tikibars wrote:

but the exact same lyric, sung by and for kids, might be percieved to be about raiding the cookie jar or something...

yeah... it's all context...

Pink pussycat
Where are you
Pink pussycat
I’m looking for you
Pink pussycat
Meow meow meow
Pink pussycat
Where ya hiding puss
Pink pussycat
I’m coming after you
I’m gonna mix yer meow-meows
Pink pussycat
Got you in the car
Pink pussycat
Got you in the backseat
Pink pussycat
I wanna touch yer fur
Pink pussycat
I’m gonna see you dance
Pink pussycat
I’m gonna stand yer fur on end
Pink pussycat
Sleep inside you
Pink pussycat
Lick you clean
Pink pussycat
Gonna mess you up
Pink pussycat
I’m a dog
Pink pussycat
Bow wow wow
Pink pussycat
Gonna chase you
Pink pussycat
Gonna catch you
Pink pussycat
Gonna bite you
Pink pussycat
Tear yer little ears off
Pink pussycat
Meow meow meow
Pink pussycat
I’m so stroft

Remember back in the good old days when the adults had their entertainment and the kids had theirs?

H

Coop (whose blog is excellent, BTW) had an interesting post about Dev2.0 back in January:

http://positiveapeindex.blogspot.com/2006/01/wear-gaudy-colors-or-avoid-display.html

M

On 2006-03-09 19:19, purple jade wrote:
Remember back in the good old days when the adults had their entertainment and the kids had theirs?

Remember when Hollywood actually had NEW ideas and didn't just keep regurgitating stuff that was popular 20 years ago?

T

And lampreys are Through Being Cool...

T

DEvo 2.0 by Disney? My brain hurts!

Am I supposed to hate it because it is Disney? Or am I supposed to think it is cool because the original cast of Devo is behind it? Are a few changes in lyrics supposed to count as an 'update' or just something that had to be done by a huge coorporation? 14 year olds singing subversive lyrics or singing Happy-Clappy songs with no awareness of the possible subtext? Coke or Pepsi? AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH! Can some one please hand me my brain, it just ran out of one of my ears.........

I have a solution! More liquor! A toast! Poor me another one! Quickly!

This is great.

I'm actually gonna buy this CD. I'm a huge DEVO fan, and somehow, this just seems right to me. Somehow it just seems very DE-VO.

Plus, think of all the kids that will get turned on to those timelessly great songs.. changing the lyrics is a little silly in my view.. actually a big faux pau, but oh well.. maybe thats just the songs devolving

They are touring schools as well- thats kinda sweet. Note the appearance in Akron, OH

http://amc-music.org/devo/

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/1144139881213060.xml&coll=2

[ Edited by: fatuhiva 2006-04-10 22:10 ]

Akron flashes back to Devo, with a twist
Tuesday, April 04, 2006
John Soeder
Plain Dealer Pop Music Critic

Akron- Thirty years after Devo broke out of here, a new generation of Rubber City citizens bounced along to the quirky songs of the new-wave band.

Devo's music has been revived with a kid-friendly twist by a Los Angeles-based quintet of fresh young faces. Calling themselves Devo 2.0, they proved it's still not too late to whip it good at Miller South School for the Visual and Performing Arts, the latest stop on their first tour.

They got a high-decibel welcome Monday afternoon in the auditorium, courtesy of 460 girls and boys from grades four through eight.

The faculty cut loose, too. Fourth-grade teacher Amy Heffernan danced along to "Whip It" and sported a red flowerpot hat - er, "energy dome" - a souvenir from a 1982 Devo show.

"They were my favorite group when I was in high school," Heffernan said.

"Get up - it's a concert!" she told her students, who needed no further encouragement to bust some moves.

Members of Devo 2.0 range in age from 11 to 14. Lead singer Nicole, guitarist Nathan, keyboardist Jackie, bass player Michael and drummer Kane prefer to be on a first-name basis with the world.

Their 25-minute set featured spunky renditions of "That's Good," "Girl U Want," "Beautiful World" and other Devo oldies, complemented with videos of stage-diving spuds, neon cowboys, funky dinosaurs and other animated eye candy.

"It's really cool to be in the city where it all started for Devo," Nicole said "backstage" - i.e., in an empty classroom. "It's like a flashback."

"I don't know whether to feel extreme pressure or to feel extremely excited," Kane admitted.

Afterward, the group signed autographs.

"I thought they were totally awesome!" declared fourth-grader Alyssa Haley, 10.

The band's self-titled debut CD/DVD of Devo covers was released last month by a subsidiary of Walt Disney Records.

Jerry Casale, who co-founded the original Devo when he was a student at Kent State University in the early 1970s, coached Devo 2.0 during tour rehearsals. Reached by phone Monday in Los Angeles (where Devo moved in 1978), he was delighted to hear his proteges were a hit in Devo's hometown.

"They're great kids," Casale said. "This just proves de-evolution is real."

The concert was closed to the public, but there is talk of bringing Devo 2.0 back for Tops KidsFest at Cleveland's Tower City Amphitheater, set for July 21-23.

Pages: 1 16 replies