Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Alright, not so South Seas, but it sure sounds like it!

Pages: 1 44 replies

P

If you guys have ever listened to Cake, you'll understand that they do have a swaying, groovy...well...groove to them! take the time to listen to them at some point. You'll see what I mean.

T

Sure, lines like "Your feet are dried with the ashes from dead babies" are very tiki. And "I Bombed Korea" is about Korea, which is near Japan, which is where some tiki mugs were made in the olden days. I think the tiki connection is obvious and can't understand why no one caught it before. Nothing better than a home tiki bar, a vintage aloha shirt, a perfectly-made exotic libation, and the soothing sounds of "Jesus Wrote a Blank Check" or "Mr Mastadon Farm" wafting from the hi-fi.

P

exactly! lol idk. Whenever I listen to their stuff i feel like swaying with the tropical breeze...but that's just me. Teehee :)

L

I'll take a dozen!

For Tiki-bot ---

...and there's more where that came from.

L

On 2006-03-09 16:50, PockyTiki wrote:
Teehee :)

"teehee"?!

dude! No cake for you!

T

Okay, a little harsh, like the blow-back you get while "listening" to Cake. PT - perhaps if you heard a bit more (or any) actual exotica music, the connection might not seem so obvious. Try one or more of these:

Martin Denny
Eden Abez
Les Baxter
Yma Sumac
Don Tiki
Lushy
Ape
Project Pimento
Fisherman
Smokin' Menehunes
Haole Kats
Combustible Edison
Man or Astroman?

I actually like Cake, but they're about as far from "tiki" as possible. I think the only band that would be less tiki is Jimmy Buffett.

P

would Sasaki and the Tiki Boys work?

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Mar 9, 2006 6:16 PM

On 2006-03-09 17:15, Tiki-bot wrote:
Okay, a little harsh, like the blow-back you get while "listening" to Cake. PT - perhaps if you heard a bit more (or any) actual exotica music, the connection might not seem so obvious. Try one or more of these:

Martin Denny
Eden Abez
Les Baxter
Yma Sumac
Don Tiki
Lushy
Ape
Project Pimento
Fisherman
Smokin' Menehunes
Haole Kats
Combustible Edison
Man or Astroman?

I actually like Cake, but they're about as far from "tiki" as possible. I think the only band that would be less tiki is Jimmy Buffett.

Amen bruddah.

Okay, a little harsh,

I meant it as a toast, not a sedative.

K
Kono posted on Thu, Mar 9, 2006 6:25 PM

Arthur Lyman?

Frank Hunter!
Tak Shindo!

What the hell? TC's been getting a bit surreal the last week or two. :-?

B

On 2006-03-09 18:25, Kono wrote:

What the hell? TC's been getting a bit surreal the last week or two. :-?

Et tu, Kono? :wink:

Pretty much the last 9 days, eh?
Feels like something is in the air.
Beware The Ides Of March!

Man or Astroman?

as long as you're bringing it up, did anyone ever settle that question?

T

I meant it as a toast, not a sedative.

Who loves ya, baby!

And I vote for "Astroman".

have i mentioned that i like pie?

V

On 2006-03-10 05:17, Johnny Dollar wrote:
have i mentioned that i like pie?

No, we're talking about Cake, not pie...
wake up Jean

Cups and cakes
Cups and cakes
Oh what good things mother makes
You've got to take tea won't you take it with me
What a gay time it will be
Cups and cakes
Cups and cakes
Please make sure that nothing breaks
The china's so dear and the treacle so clear
And I'm glad that you are here
Milk and sugar
Bread and Jam
Yes please, sir, and thank you ma'm
Here I am
Cups and cakes
Cups and cakes
I'm so full my tummy aches
How sad it must end
But I'm glad I've a friend
Sharing cups and cakes with me
And cakes with me...

does a Hawaiian War Dance while singing MR Mastadon Farm :D

Me wishes it were someone else in the "Where are they now?" file....

wait what?..."Can you hear me now" By the Verizon guy?

Tiki-Toa??? When did Hanford let you back in??

oh sweet jesus. pocky, you are totally grounded from the computer until you stop using those text message abbreviations. LOL, idk, wtf? (that last one is mine...) the average age of the TC regular is 'way too old to know what the kids are talking about these days.' We use this board to waste time at work and avoid dealing with our spouses and children, so the time I have to spend deciphering your messages, (or skipping them entirely, which also takes A LOT of time, I mean really, 140 posts in 10 days???? shouldn't you be off scoring chicks or something?) takes me away from taking time away from my family. 15 posts a day is way too much time on this board, go outside and play already.

love, Mrs. Pineapple

V

On 2006-03-10 12:47, tikisobayli wrote:
Tiki-Toa??? When did Hanford let you back in??

He's not Tiki Toa, he's tikibong.

H

Guys, if you have some constructive criticism for our enthusiastic new member about the way he's participating here, please take it to PM. No need to make a spectacle of it. From what I've seen, he's been enthusiastic, eager to learn, and polite and understanding when he's been given feedback.

Apparently he doesn't want constructive criticism:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18651&forum=7&vpost=219978

P

Cake or Pie. If it's Lisa Loeb's I want it.

alright I tried to be quiet and sit back on this one, but this is just too good to be true. Mrs. Pineapple, if YOU took the time to actually learn the ages of fellow TC members you'll learn that there are some very computer-savvy youngsters on here as well. NOT as young as me but young 20's. So next time you wanna shoot me down about not learning about something, take the time to re-read what you just posted, ok? Omgwtfbbqkthxbai

:(

for the love of TC and all that it stands for, I Andy, shall refrain from posting in this exact thread again. :)

T

At the risk of some older folks on TC not understanding these HTML thingys:

I should stay quiet on this too, but I cannot. Sorry to see Pocky's enthusiasm get quashed; that's truly a bummer. And for Mrs. Pineapple, times they are a changin' wether you noticed it or not. I'm 50 years old, and I know what all those little abbreviations and acromyms mean. It's designed to save time, not consume it. Once an old dog learns these tricks, the old dog will save a lot of time in forums like this, and in internet communications in general. Really...Trust me.

Maybe Pocky posts a lot - it seemed harmless to me - once the novelty of the forum wears off he'll calm down. Look at me! I have not posted for a couple of days! We could have handled this very differently, in a non-public forum as it were, by PMing Pocky directly or whatever. Now we've alienated at least one new tiki guy.

Geez. Talk about wasting time! Replying to these posts and explaining the new 'main stream', well now that seems like a waste of time to me.

(For those who do not know, Things in arrows like slightly resemble the opening of an HTML statement. is the close to that HTML statement. Check out the definnition for HTML on WikiPedia :wink: )...

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-03-11 11:22 ]

Oh for heavens sake. It's a shame that in all your blathering about what an old hag I am, you completely missed the Do they have an emoticon for that? Pocky Tiki is having a conversation with himself. He's not interested in 'learning the ways of Tiki Central'. If he can't take a few sarcastic jibes from the old timers, I apologize. I realize we are obliged to gently nurture the newbies, even the newbies who could give a shit about the way things are done around here. When a newbie posts that CAKE is exotic music, and people try to tell them that in fact CAKE isn't considered exotica and here's a list of music he might try, and the newbie DOESN'T GET IT, and continues to post blather about CAKE and people pile on, and the newbie refuses to take a moment and thoughtfully consider what people are saying, that makes the newbie a troll. Meanwhile on another thread he's posting phallic bamboo shakers asking for feedback, but not really caring or listening to the artists who've taken the time to give feedback and starting new threads about stuff that's already got 16 threads. But by all means, pile on Mrs. Pineapple because she gave sarcastic feedback to a newbie. I'll try to sugarcoat it a little more syrupy next time, little pocky snookums.

BTW - I was making fun of MYSELF, you obviously were so busy writing your next 15 posts, that you missed that. Read slower next time. LOL and a big WTF???

alright Mrs. Pineapple if you keep harassing me in these strange fashions i'm just gonna have to keep talking. Seriously. Do you READ what you post? I do the complete opposite of what you say i do. I listen to what the TC-ers have to say to me and the way you're going about doing this is completely wrong. I just brought up Cake and was saying how much i liked them and they had a swinging feel to em, but if you can't even relax for one second, well then by god...i am a monkey's uncle. seriously..Pineapple girl...calm down.

On 2006-03-11 08:25, PockyTiki wrote:
for the love of TC and all that it stands for, I Andy, shall refrain from posting in this exact thread again. :)

???? Where's Bong when you need him?

Don't forget about TC's U-Mod system... despite some voiced opinions here about how non-tiki this thread is, nobody has actually asked for it to be moved to Beyond Tiki.

If you're not using U-Mod because you don't know how it works, here's a handy-dandy guide to this handy-dandy tool:

http://www.tikicentral.com/tikicentral/umod.htm

T

On 2006-03-11 09:54, mrs. pineapple wrote:
It's a shame that in all your blathering about what an old hag I am...

Please accept my apology Mrs Pineapple, I didn't mean to convey any such implication! I certainly meant it in a figurative manner! I could have done a better job wording that, I'm sure.

Also, I'm sorry I didn't get the ... I'm a little gullible early in the day...

2 hours, 17 minutes - Ladies & Gentlemen, we may have a new TC record for "I'm not going to post anymore", then posting. Keep working at it, PT, I'm sure you can get that time down.

hey I can't help it that some of your members ride my ass 24/7. I had to say something. It was just...hanging there.

On 2006-03-11 11:59, PockyTiki wrote:
hey I can't help it that some of your members ride my ass 24/7. I had to say something. It was just...hanging there.

Are you talking about me? 2 posts in 2 days?

Hanford??? Humu? come on....this guy needs a time out.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Mar 11, 2006 4:15 PM

On 2006-03-09 16:24, PockyTiki wrote:
If you guys have ever listened to Cake, you'll understand that they do have a swaying, groovy...well...groove to them! take the time to listen to them at some point. You'll see what I mean.

Hmmmm. At no point did he say that by listening to Cake that it WAS actually exotica. Just close your eyes and sway to the music and you might liken it to a swaying palmtree. Yeh, a little abstract, but give him a freaking break. Ive seen artist pull a lot more tenuos bow to explain their art (like wanker artists, not tiki artists). Hell, they get paid thousands for kids paintings.

For the record, I don't mind Cake. I have never likened them to a groovy palm tree or whatever. But next time I hear them I will listen for it. If I don't hear it, does it mean it doesn't exist? No. I don't know at what point we draw the line though. Death metal is not tiki. We all draw the lines differently.

Pocky - saying you're not going to post was a good idea. Posting after you just posted saying that wasn't.

H

I don't know I kind of like reading all of this. It is beyond generation gap.

T

On 2006-03-11 10:42, PockyTiki wrote:
alright Mrs. Pineapple if you keep harassing me in these strange fashions i'm just gonna have to keep talking.

I don't think Mrs. Pineapple is harassing you, Pocky. I think she's making a point about how some of us here on TC (some - not all by any stretch) get a bit annoyed by all the "lol, g2g, imho" abbreviations that have sprung up on the internet over the last few years. I can't speak for her though - so my opinion is this.... It annoys me quite a bit, as I feel like it shows a lack of attention to what you are writing. I'm certainly NOT an eloquent writer, but I try to think before I write something. Either in a reply, or a post (and yes - I'm sure you can find stupid responses in my history of posts here). As soon as someone types "lol" or a zillion "smiley faces" in an email or post on a forum - well, let's just say I'm not very interested in what that person has to say. Is it because I'm an old grandpa of 36? Maybe. But it smacks of someone just blathering - not really caring about what they are saying - just filling up space. We are a bit of an anomaly here on TC - I feel like it's not the usual troll-fest, or flame-war (yes - more "net" words, I know). I appreciate it when someone responds to a post (or creates one) with a point. Otherwise - it's just a bunch of words, with no substance.

I like that you seem to take some of the brickbats thrown your way with a "happy-go-lucky" attitude, Pocky (although I think it probably makes some of the folks out there want to shake you)! But I also think you should cut down the posts a bit... take some time - look at the other topics & get your head around what we enjoy here on TC. That might clue you in a bit more as to what constitutes Exotica (although personal taste comes into play there, I know), the history of PolyPop (I'm sure BigBro's bible - 'The Book of Tiki' has been suggested to you), etc... Perhaps keep it to a post a day? We are generally a pretty accepting group - just give yourself some more time....

hey, i'm sorry about my enthusiastic nature. I get hyper at points in the day from my sugar and school intake and i need a place to let it loose. Tada. TC it is! And mind you my posting rate has gone down!....by 1.5...but thats not the point! (Well it is..but w/e whatever ). Personally i think that this thread should have been locked or just thrown out. Right after the first argument broke through i knew this was just gonna get out of hand. Anyways. I'm posting more like 3 to 4 posts a day now. Instead of my mind-boggling 9-12.

A

Bummed to see this kind of thread. In general, one of the remarkable things about Tiki Central is the welcoming spirit for newcomers, both online and in person. Tiki-bot's SECOND reply with the list of suggested music might be an example of this. But some of the rest of this thread seems uncharacteristically hostile for TC (to me).

Incidentally Tiki-bot, I think I misread your post - did you really mean that Man Or AstroMan belongs on an exotica list? I don't consider them exotica at all! At least MOAM falls within what this forum calls "Tiki Music", or they used to. I didn't see PockyTiki claim that Cake is exotica either, but anyway it makes sense that this all ended up in "Beyond Tiki".

-Randy

i'm happy it ended up here. Still, I seriously want this thread locked up. It's not doing any of us any good just sitting here. This isn't called the Argument Thread. Can't we all have a big group hug?

Pages: 1 44 replies