Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Bali wood figures for trade or sale

Pages: 1 8 replies

T

These four Bali wood figures need a home.

Would you like to own them?

Please PM me with an offer.

Do you have some 12-14oz Tiki Farm mugs that you would like to trade for these?

Additional photos provided upon request.

#1 & #2 19"-20"H X 4"W X 4"D

#3 55"H X 5"W X 5" D

#4 61"H X 8"W X 8.5"D
This one is quite tall.

[ Edited by: TikiSan 2006-03-17 16:11 ]

P

wow...Personally I say leave them as is. Those things are AWESOME! Sucks that i live all the way in MA...darn.

Not sure about the bottom one, but the top stacked figures look to me like they might be from Borneo.

They appear somewhat similar to these:
http://pages.tias.com/402/PictPage/433351.html

T

Hmmm, very interesting, they do look similar to those from Borneo, which is now Indonesia, I believe.

On 2006-03-09 17:43, purple jade wrote:
Not sure about the bottom one, but the top stacked figures look to me like they might be from Borneo.

They appear somewhat similar to these:
http://pages.tias.com/402/PictPage/433351.html

L

these are typical Indonesian "assembly line" carvings for the tourist and export trade.
Most all Indonesian source importers have them. Dime a dozen, as it were...

S

In that case, I'll take 5 dozen!

W

While these are common import shop pieces they're a good example of what some weathering or hand done aging can do for a standard piece right off the Cost Plus sales floor. Something to keep in mind for all of us short on $$$ or those of you in areas with low Tiki decor availability.

A lot of mass produced pieces can be sanded, white washed, or refinished with fire. Many garishly painted pieces can look pretty dang good when hit with a blast of semi-flat black spray paint. And everything looks better with it's top-o-the-noggin' pony tail removed.

Though these pieces aren't tikis they'd still look pretty swell nestled into a dim corner surrounded by fake plants and awash in the blue glow of a hidden up-light. I can already hear the restless native drums...

H

The figure in the bottom photo---My brother gave me the exact same thing for Christmas probably 6-8 years ago. He said it reminded him of me! (thnx, bro) He got it from a store called 'Black Market Minerals'. I haven't been to a BMM store in years but I remember they had a lot of imported carved stuff along with exotic minerals, stones, beads, shells, etc.--wouldn't surprize me to see some tiki stuff in there these days.

It seems like it was described on the paper tag that was on it as an 'alligator god' or 'alligator man' or something like that. I'm almost certain it was made in Indonesia.

I have one very similar that I bought at world market cost plus. ( we have an outlet store) My tag states
"Hand crafted in Bali of plantation grown albesia wood."
The aged look from having them outside is really nice! I like them like that!
pretty cool that they were passed on to you. Congrats. on the score.

Pages: 1 8 replies