Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Polynesian/Tiki Paintings - just finishing one more

Pages: 1 35 replies

J

Just wanted to announce two new paintings I just completed - They are titled 'Lost Tikis'. They are completely original acrylic paintings on canvas - 1 of a kind. They're cool because the paintings connect on either side, however you display them! Add a touch of mystery to your Tiki Bar!

There is only one now! Gave the one on the right to the fabulous re-opened Lono Lounge!
The one on the left is still avail!

Check out all my paintings at
http://jonmooers.com/

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2006-10-23 08:35 ]

T

Those are Beautiful! I can't afford them, but I hope they go to a good home. Any chance they might come out as prints,signed,numbered? That I can afford, and I'll buy #1!

Thank you for the encouragement! At the moment, I can't really afford the print process. Just one of those starving artists, trying to pay the rent and some Mai Tai mix for the blender! Later today I'll be finishing and posting another Tiki painting. It's smaller and will be more affordable! Tiki Sunset Swim! Thanks again for your comment!

yikes! those are nice.. and BIG.. almost door-sized. alas our tiki room needs smaller pieces.. keep us posted if you make something more miniature!

elicia

T

Those could go on the doors at the enterance of a good bar. I like back to back. It looks looks you meant it that way but yes the other way is clever. Rent and Mai Tais, sounds like me.

I kinda figured they'd be cool for a professional Tiki Bar/ restaurant. I know all our home Tiki Bars are packed to the gills. I just moved to a new apartment went from a Tiki Kitchen to a Tiki wall - Oh well, we can always dream! Oh by the way a real conundrum today - Mai Tais or green beer? Could always add a little green food coloring in the blender...... hmmm...

Here's this weeks new canvas - available for your pad! It's called "Sunset Swim". I'm attaching a shot from my studio as I was painting the piece, so you can get an idea of it's size. and compare it to the last two "Tikis" you can link to it also at
http://jonmooersart.blogspot.com/
Please take a look , let me know what you think!

Next week I'm creating a horizontal mural style painting. It will be my version of an awesome mural I've loved for years at Kowloon in Saugus Massachusetts - a truly exotic waterfall with 3 polynesian ladies in the mist! Check it out next week! Thanks, Jon

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2006-10-23 08:35 ]

H
hewey posted on Fri, Mar 17, 2006 9:29 PM

The sunsets nice as well. Nice colors. ooh, naked lady too :)

T

Beautiful!Best of luck to you, I'm sure you'll do well,you have the magic touch with your Art.

E

Those are awesome--you're very talented!

You have a really nice eye for color and composition.
Have you ever considered selling high quality prints of your fab tiki art?

Thanks again for your kind comments - I would love to find a way to make reprints/giclees available for sale. Unfortunately, I live that life of an artist, living hand to mouth. I'm frustrated by the situation. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be forever indebted. Until I can get a hold on life, my paintings are for sale, to pay my bills. They are all original, one of a kind and at the moment, my income! I love to paint, and refuse to give up my passion! For the last 4 years have been working as a full time chef in Los Angeles, a pastry chef. 10 - 12$ an hour is the harsh reality though because of the illegal immigrants so liberally hired for $8 an hour, after taxes , it doesn't even pay the rent in los angeles. I believe in my painting. I love all things Tiki - I will keep trying. This week I am painting 'The secluded waterall' - a secret oasis hidden on "the island"! Work on my waterfall cliff painting is progressing. If you've been to the Kowloon restaurant in Saugus Mass., it is my version of the mesmerizing 'mural' in the cliff room. - its located in the Tiki/service bar to the left, when you walk in. I've loved that painting at the Kowloon since I was a young boy. I will update this posting with new progress all this week!. Thanks again for your encouragement!. I'm attaching a pic from the existing Kowloon mural so you can see my motivation!

Thanks again for your kind postings!
Jon

Thought you might be interested in my motivation for sunset swim. It's an amazing large photo print from the 40's?, 30's?, it shows waikiki beach and Diamond head; if any of you can visualize that view today you can see how the scenic view has been overrun by hi-rises, condo's and hotels. It's a sad commentary for urban development! This old school print of mine shows this tranquil scene as it was meant to be seen! - thus the motivation for 'Sunset swim'.

You also get a little tease of my Tiki wall, formerly known as the Tiki kitchen! Till we post again! Jon
Here's waikiki beach today!

This urbanization is the most profound reason I love Tiki. Tiki is a reminder, or better yet a stronghold into what was. Tiki offered a simple answer in a simpler time when dreams of exotic destinations of undisturbed enchantment was attainable and not just a dream!

Read my blog at
http://www.myspace.com/jpmartdog

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2006-10-23 08:37 ]

P

nice work.

get some studio shots of your paintings. have the prints drum scanned and then you'll have digital files. have them professionally color corrected to your specifications. there are a lot of companies that will do prints for you for a very reasonable price.

trade a painting for the digital work.

think outside the box my friend. sometimes there are answers where you least expect them.

pm me if you want some more info.

JP, I love both, the City of Refuge Tikis, and the Sunset swim. That is exactly the kind of balance between realism and fantasy that makes Tiki Bar paintings so effective.

By the way, you now have something in common with Mark Ryden:
Both of you were inspired by Ed Crissmann's Tiki at the Tropics Motel. He used a photo I took of it from a mock up of the BOT that I gave him in the mid 90s and put it in his famous painting he did for the Martin Denny Double CD re-issue from Capitol. It was the first time the BOT inspired a Tiki artist (even before it came out! [p. 209, bottom right]).

Have you ever tried to offer your paintings to some of the new Tiki Bars out there, like the one in Long Beach, or Santa Monica, or the new upcoming Lucky Tiki?

Just finished a new Tiki painting - I call it "Idol falls". It's my version of a painting I've stared at for 3 decades at the Kowloon in Saugus, Massachusetts. I posted a pic of the original painting from the Kowloon and below is my version. I'm having a wet paint sale at my website on all my Tiki Canvases - Follow the link to see them all and a larger version of "Idol falls". http://jonmooers.com/
Thanks for looking, and thanks for your kind words!

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2006-10-23 08:51 ]

umbrella included with the mug? Possible cherry? I'm likin' that painting. You have a good style! keep up the good work!

Just finished my newest Tiki Painting! Featuring a mug from Kowloon Restaurant in Saugus, Mass. I call this one 'Polynesian Dreaming' - It's as close as I've gotten to an Island escape in these past years.

Let me know what you think - This is the first of a aseries of Tiki Mug portraits. I made this one smaller - it's 16" X 20", perfect for a crowded Tiki Bar! Go to my website to see all my Tiki Paintings in more detail!

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2006-10-23 08:30 ]

T

Amazing paintings! I love the mystic feeling that radiates from them. And the scope format from idol falls, perfect for a modern polynesian pad.
Good job!

Here's the newest painting I'm completing - I call it 'Shelf Life'

It isn't finished yet but will be in the next day or so. Still have to work on that warm light glow of the real blowfish - where's Thomas Kincaid "the painter of light" when you need him!

I'll be bringing a lot of original tiki art to the JetSetFest at the Jetsetters Lounge in Lake Worth Florida this Memorial Day Weekend - If your going to the event please stop by and say hi - I look forward to meeting any or all of you! Jon

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2006-06-07 14:05 ]

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2006-06-07 14:09 ]

really nice work JP...especially like "polynesian dreaming"....nice website and
very cool artwork...don't know how I missed some of your earlier posts but I will be
keeping my eyes open in the future....

Excellent work! I especially like the Idol Falls painting. Keep em comming.

Thanks for your kind comments. I appreciate all feedback! Trying to find a niche in this crazy polynesian world I love so much!

Really like the idol falls, real feeling of energy in the water with a minimum of detail. Nice job.

Great stuff! The Polynesian dreaming is cool. I love the take-out box and newspaper. It gives it a touch of humorous reality for me. Keep 'em coming. And if you ever figure out a way to get prints made at an affordable rate let me know. Like I said great stuff!

TP

On 2006-03-19 23:12, pdrake wrote:
nice work.

get some studio shots of your paintings. have the prints drum scanned and then you'll have digital files. have them professionally color corrected to your specifications. there are a lot of companies that will do prints for you for a very reasonable price.

trade a painting for the digital work.

think outside the box my friend. sometimes there are answers where you least expect them.

pm me if you want some more info.

so how much would this cost? ur art is too cool not to make prints

T

I knew that the painting of the puiffer was painted, I just did one, but I didn't even notice that the mugs in front of it weren't. Nice magic trick you just played on me.

J

Here's an update on my newest painting - "Shelf Life!"

my next Tiki Mug portrait will feature the Jetsetters Lounge in Lake Worth, Florida - a whimsical portrait of host/owner Mike Jones and a signature Tiki Mug in a cosmic setting! Thanks for all your encouragement and kind comments. It was great to meet a few of you at the JetSetFest in Florida!

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2006-10-23 08:12 ]

C

Hey Jpmartdog,
First, I have to say your paintings are beautiful! Second, I can relate to your story and passion. I am a glass artist, that knows, one day soon, I will be the success I want to be with my craft, until then, rent is late, niceities are limited, and I haven't even been surfing as much. I work jobs, some I like, others...I even owned my own small restaurant, that was very profitable, and allowed me to put more into my real love. But, due to landlord issues, 'tis no longer!
It's hard for most people to understand what someone in our sort of position goes through. We know we got it, we know we can do it, we know what we want. It's hard to turn your back on something that breathes within you.
Keep the faith, man! I always tell myself, "you reap what you sow."
You can see some of my stuff at http://www.hunterglass.com I will be posting brand new tiki works on here soon, as I have finally moved into that a little more after doing tons of ocean themed stuff. I lived in Hawaii for a time, but I think the cool style of tiki had me even before then, it just took me awhile to progress to it.
Good luck! I find it's always reassuring to talk to or hear from people who are like-minded, and chasing the same dream.
Kyle

Aloha JP

Nice stuff!

You ever try painting on Velvet?

Do a search for Leeteg.

Aloha Ben,
Thanks for the comment. Actually I'd been meaning to jot a note to you, as well as make the 5 mile journey to come visit you in Huntington Beach. Unfortunately at the moment - I don't have a car so that's my excuse on that one - you know living that life of a starving artist. Most of all wanted to thank you and your Aunt Bungy for sharing those great stories of growing up "tiki". Very cool and very inspiring to those of us that long for "simpler times". Funny you should mention the velvet painting - it has been repeatedly suggested to me recently. Exploring the possibilities as I try to "carve" better yet "paint" an niche for myself and find a small corner to inhabit. Thanks again for your reply and I promise to make it to HB soon - looking forward to see your work. As always impressed, Jon

Cherokee/kyle - Thanks for your reply. I agree, it is nice to hear from fellow artists. I think its only those who have spent the days in the trenches who truly understand the challenge, frustration and passion that greets us each morning. Our lives have taken very similar paths. I'd love to visit your studio someday and see the process of your glasswork. Your work is so meticulous and refined! I wish you great success with your art and hope to hoist a Mai Tai with you at an upcoming event somewhere across the globe. jon

C

Your invite to hoist a Mai Tai may be very possible. Last summer I did a show with Drew Brophy at the Dana Point Oceanic Inst. "Sea Monster Ball". It was huge. I believe the next one is in the works so....
I am going to be posting the pics of my 3 tiki pieces tonite. I hope I get the pic posting correct!
Keep a look out.

I've just completed my newest painting entitled "Tahitian Girl".

I've still got a little work to do on her hand, but the painting is basically done - it is 18" X 24" acrylic on canvas.
Over the past few months I have become aware of an unfolding disaster that looks to have no likely resolve. The results of this environmental phenom will destroy the very origins of a culture. That home of Polynesia/ Tiki is soon to be another 'loss' from our planet. Sure we will always have it in our memories, but I prefer to have it in our reality. I've completed this painting in tribute to this culture. Please visit this link to my blog, including a beautiful poem and subsequent explanation into the environmental phenomonon that is occurring now!
http://www.myspace.com/jpmartdog

See all my paintings at my website!

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2006-10-23 08:39 ]

C

Beautiful painting! I'm going to go get that pineapple and mango I have chilling in the fridge. Your painting makes my mouth water. Ha!
Good tribute, too.
Kyle

I got a chance top see these painting up close this weekend. They are absolutely great! My wife and I plan to gift eachother one for Christmas!
Great work jpmartdog!

Pages: 1 35 replies