Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Lets go to the WDW Polynesian Luau May 27th

Pages: 1 19 replies

TB

Hi Everybody,

We're planning to go back to the Polynesian this year (using the excuse of Tristan's birthday to round us all up) for their luau dinner show. The show has changed since we last saw it.

Reservations and payment must be made in advance. If you would like to attend, may I suggest making the reservations soon .
Anyway, here's the details:

WDW Dining Reservations # 407 939 3463
Date: May 27th (Saturday)
8pm show (this is the 2nd show)
have credit card ready when making reservations

http://hotels.about.com/library/hotels/wdw/poly/bl-luau.htm

cancellations can be made 48 hours prior to date for refund

Since we have to arrive at least 1 hour early to pick up tickets in lobby of Polynesian, lets meet at the hotel bar at 5:30pm. We can have a drink or 2 before the show seating at 7pm.

I requested that we all sit together but I couldn't do it without everybody's credit card #'s when I made our reservations. Seat assignments are given when tickets are picked up in the lobby, that's why it would behoove us to arrive by 5:30 and try to request to be seated together.

However things work out, it will be fun to see everyone at the luau. Please RSVP by March 31st.

hope you can make it,
Bre-elle

G

Sounds good Bree! I can't confirm until we score a sitter for the munchkins, but will do my best. How are the drinks at the bar next to Ohana? I've heard so-so to bleck. But, not a show stopper either way. Thanks for planning it. Sounds like fun!

J

My parents just got back from Disney and the Polynesian's luau and the general consensus... it sucked. Perhaps my parents have been jaded/spoiled by going to Tahiti but my dad said, in a non-direct round-about sort of way, that the show is lacking in any titillation and the food was blah. Too much clothing, too much modernization, too much PC... too much Disney. What the hell is wrong with Disney?! Why don't they leave well-enough alone?!

TB

[ Edited by: Tiki Bree 2006-03-16 10:40 ]

TB

On 2006-03-10 14:39, GatorRob wrote:
Sounds good Bree! I can't confirm until we score a sitter for the munchkins, but will do my best. How are the drinks at the bar next to Ohana? I've heard so-so to bleck. But, not a show stopper either way. Thanks for planning it. Sounds like fun!

I've always enjoyed the mai tais and Marian orders a fabulous melon martini that I'm trying this time.
KailuaGeoff, do you have any comments on the subject?

Bree,
We are certainly going to try and make it, and will attempt to book a room because we have never stayed there and because, as you say, we enjoy hanging out with our friends in the few tiki-themed places that still exist. Beyond that, I would say the drinks at the Tambu Lounge are better than lots of other places, the food in the Ohana Restaurant is great, and the decor is awesome.

As far as whether this show is good, or whether the whole deal is worth the price, or if Disney is as good as this or that other place.... Listen up people! It's NOT like there are a whole bunch of tiki places around from which to choose. There are only a few authentic locations around and they are each worth patronizing simply because they are so rare and a few more seem to vanish each year

If you are only interested in visiting one tiki bar per year, and it has to be the best tiki bar with the best drinks, or shows or whatever, just go to the Mai-Kai and forget everything else you see on this board. It's not for you and you'll probably just get bored with the whole tiki thing anyway. :roll:

If, on the other hand, you simply can't swing the time or the finances to join a group at this or that party - and it does seem like parties are proliferating right now - please just wish everyone else a good time and we'll see you at some other event in the future. :)
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-03-12 17:47 ]

P

We're planning on being there.

P

I'll sneak in a camelbak filled with Mai Tais.

[ Edited by: pablus 2006-03-12 19:06 ]

K

A gathering with fun people and great surroundings....what's not to love!! Sounds like the makings of an ultra festive birthday bash to me. How lucky we are to have the Polynesian Luau just up the road. I hope to be able to attend...have to look at tweeking the schedule just a bit......

Karbora

Does anyone know if the luau (now "Disney's Spirit of Aloha") still includes unlimited free drinks? Last time I was there (1996) it was all-you-can-eat, all-you-can-drink. I can't make it to the luau with ya'll in May but I'll be going there this weekend while visiting friends in Orlando.

Bre-elle,
We booked our luau tickets today. Checked the room rates for what is awfully close to Memorial Day weekend and the lowest rate we could find was $445 per night. I think we'll retire to our home after the luau.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-03-13 16:24 ]

J

On 2006-03-11 06:37, Tiki Bree wrote:
Johntiki darling, the point of going to the Polynesian is to enjoy the company of our ohana in the best themed hotel of its kind in FLa. Like the H.I., the food and show are secondary to the joy of hanging out with our friends. The former show had the best fire knife dance we've ever seen here in Fla. Better than another favorite venue because there is more open space to throw the knife. I trust this is in the new show. Like the Mai Kai, the Polynesian Hotel is living history...the way things were. I witnessed it being built and treasure it and I'm going to soak up every last bit of bamboo ambience while it is still here to enjoy.

Well pardon me, I'm sorry I opened my mouth... darling.

On 2006-03-13 19:20, johntiki wrote:

Well pardon me, I'm sorry I opened my mouth... darling.

C'mon now, that wasn't really called for. Bre-elle is inviting others to come join for a good time. That is always a good thing no matter what one thinks of the drinks/food/show/etc. Being in the company of good friends is what it's all about. I've heard others say that drinks there were not the best (I don't know firsthand), but like I said in my post, it's "not a show stopper".

Now, let's kiss and make up and get the good vibe back.

J

I posted my initial response to this thread only because it was something I had discussed the day before I read the post. In no way did I mean to imply that it wouldn't be fun or a good opportunity to spend some time with friends. I mearly wanted to post a recent review that was related to me and for TikiBree to come off and try and explain to me what a TC gathering and an appreciation for a tiki destination is all about in such a demeaning fashion was what was definitely uncalled for!

I may not live in Florida but I've been to the Polynesian's luau three times in my 34 years, 2 times with the same said parents I mentioned in my first posting, and we always had a great time. But being a tiki newbie what the hell would I know?!

On 2006-03-10 16:23, johntiki wrote:
My parents just got back from Disney and the Polynesian's luau and the general consensus... it sucked. Perhaps my parents have been jaded/spoiled by going to Tahiti but my dad said, in a non-direct round-about sort of way, that the show is lacking in any titillation and the food was blah. Too much clothing, too much modernization, too much PC... too much Disney. What the hell is wrong with Disney?! Why don't they leave well-enough alone?!

Johntiki,
Let's see.... "IT SUCKED","TOO MUCH PC....TOO MUCH DISNEY. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH DISNEY?"

Gosh, how could someone planning a birthday party for her husband be offended by your post and want to politely set you straight?

Very easily, it seems to me. Why don't you just hit the edit button and delete your "review" rather than trying to justify something you probably didn't think much about when posting? If you do, I'll delete this as well - from one old timer to another.
Mahalo.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-03-15 10:29 ]

TB

On 2006-03-13 10:50, reedalong wrote:
Does anyone know if the luau (now "Disney's Spirit of Aloha") still includes unlimited free drinks? Last time I was there (1996) it was all-you-can-eat, all-you-can-drink. I can't make it to the luau with ya'll in May but I'll be going there this weekend while visiting friends in Orlando.

The beer & wine is free/unlimited but I believe that mixed drinks are an additional charge.

The weather is so beautiful right now.....have a great time!!!

TB

On 2006-03-12 19:04, pablus wrote:

We're planning on being there.

Yippee!!!!!!!!!! This is going to be fun!!

KG, thank you for trying to get a room, you and Marian would have enjoyed waking up to the beautiful environment. Yeah, Memorial Day weekend is high season at the theme parks. However, we have so many places to hang out before and afterwards and the drive home isn't too frightfully long.
Hey, we all can ride the monorails!! Too bad they dont stop at our neighborhoods.
I've never stayed in the hotel either.......maybe we can plan a weekend to all stay there in the future.......

[ Edited by: Tiki Bree 2006-03-16 10:05 ]

G

Just bought our tickets for the luau. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

TB

On 2006-03-17 17:50, GatorRob wrote:
Just bought our tickets for the luau. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

Thanks, this is going to be a fabulous evening!!!!
See you at Karbora's in a few weeks......

TB

Just got word today that the luau dinner show is sold out. Some invitees werent able to book their tickets, but will still arrive for the 5:30pm cocktails. For those of you planning to come, who haven't booked reservations, the Polynesian suggests calling 48 hours advance of the date to take advantage of any cancellations.

Pages: 1 19 replies