Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The Maikai Gents with C.B. & Cherry at Lava Lounge Dec. 11 With Photos

Pages: 1 12 replies

Aloooooha, Friends!
Put this in your Palm(tree) Pilot:  Wednesday, December 11 sees the return of The Maikai Gents to the Los Angeles stage! We'll be at the exotic Lava Lounge 1533 North La Brea Ave at Sunset(323)876-6612. If you've never ventured inside, CitySearch describes it as "tropical fantasyland meets warm lounge." The doors open at 9:00pm and we'll begin our performance soon thereafter. This will be a very special evening of your Hawaiian favorites accompanied by members of the fabulous The Thurston Howlies, C.B. Howlie(percussion) and Cherry Capri(guest vocals). Live exotica music will follow us. What a night! And what a deal, as all of this entertainment can be had for only $3! We certainly desire to see you there. Mahalo.

[ Edited by: weirduncletiki on 2002-12-13 19:03 ]

Oh yeah, this sounds like fun. The missus and I will be there. Need a tiki for the stage? Not that the place needs decor help or anything.

On 2002-12-02 22:26, thechikitiki wrote:
Need a tiki for the stage? Not that the place needs decor help or anything.

We'd love a tiki for the stage! Thanks, Chiki. Looking forward to seeing you there!

Sounds like fun, I'm in desperate need of some tropical tunes right about now.

G
GECKO posted on Tue, Dec 3, 2002 2:25 PM

yes I'll be there too....ya right, I wish. Go get em Judd! If you live in da area or don't, go see these guys! I have heard Unc sing at La Marianas and they loved em here on da islands! He get one nice voice! Have fun dudes.

Shootz

Thanks for the kind words, Gecko! I posted photos of The Maikai Gents Tiki you carved in my Yahoo briefcase. Try to make the show on Wednesday(I won't hold my breath).

The Gents and Cherry &C.B. are looking forward to a fun and kooky night on the 11th. Can't wait to see you all there!

-W.U.T.

http://www.mkgents.com

Aloha to you all!
It's been confirmed that the stage at tonight's show will be adorned with tikis carved by some very prominent artists from our own TC community. Aural AND visual art tonight at Lava Lounge Los Angeles. Also, free souvenirs to all in attendance. We look forward to seeing you there!
-Weird Unc

Was that cozy fun or what? Time to carve now.

DZ

Weird Unc, Miss Mauna Loa, Cherry, C.B.-- really sorry we missed the show, but after the festivities at Trader Vic's the night before, we decided to spend Z-Girl's birthday snuggled up by the fire... We'll try again next time!

ps- see whoever's going on the HH Boat Cruise Saturday, rain or shine!

Here are some photos from Lava Lounge December 11, 2002
The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa

With Cherry Capri & C.B. Howlie

With Chikitiki's Tiki

Thanks to Floratina, PiPhiRho, Johnnie Velour, Suicide Sam, Hukilau Brown, Futura Girl, and the Chikitikis for coming out and having a fine time with us!

Thanks for the great show. I can't help but sing along whenever I hear Tiny Bubbles. I go to see allot of different type of music punk, rockabilly, jazz, reggae, etc, etc, but one day I sat down and tried to recall the first live show I ever saw and it took me all the way back to when I was a little kid and my family bought a vacation tour package to Hawaii. Part of the package was a live Don Ho show. Back then I had no idea who Don Ho was but the reason I remeber is because he started singing Tiny Bubbles and all the women in that place just went NUTS. They were screaming at the top of their lungs and I had never seen abything like that before. So that song still takes me back whenever I hear it.

Here are some more pix:

Part of the entourage

The King sits in a pointy, yet stylish chair or two.

Johnny Velour, Photographer

The look on Grogg's face is classic here:

[ Edited by: floratina on 2002-12-15 16:46 ]

Thanks for the memories, Suicide Sam. Seems like you saw Mr. Ho at the right time.
Floratina: Fun photos! I think my odd expression is a reaction to some suggestive lyrics being sung by the fabulous Cherry Capri.
Great seeing you all and we look forward to next time!

I. Grogg

Pages: 1 12 replies