Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Monkeyman is hacking at the clay

Pages: 1 26 replies

I have been interested in making my own mug for a long time. With the introduction of my first drink last summer (The Monkeypod) I decided that it would be appropriate to make a companion mug.

I learned something very quickly. Sculpting is not easy (not that I ever thought it was) and is very different than carving.

The clay tears and dents and the tricks to shape it can be quite different. Anyway.... Here are some shots of the first prototype. I hope to get it right by the 3rd or 4th try.

The back of his head needs some work. He looks like he had a rough childhood falling off rooftops or something.

I am gladly taking advice from anyone with an aptitude for sculpting and ceramics. Reply to this thread.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2006-03-10 20:54 ]

V

I believe you're gonna make a great mug we'll all cherish

Very nice. I can only imagine sculpting the mug. It's great having your own personal mug for your bar. My fiance' made ours, but was a slab rolled base with hand carved accents.

Wiki Wiki Room Mug Thread

Over Christmas, she made a couple bowls for us aswell, but we are still waiting to get those fired. Back to the topic...Congratulations on a great personal mug...enjoy!

P

Take your time and no regrets once you're finished.
Yeah, I know how you artists are. Tortured souls all.

"If only I could have..." is the mantra.

So... sculpt like the ultra-meticulous craftsman that you are and put me down for one.

Is your drink any good? :wink:

I need to try it.

[ Edited by: pablus 2006-03-11 06:08 ]

H
hewey posted on Sat, Mar 11, 2006 4:31 PM

Cool mug. Maybe make it a little more tribal?

Maybe some Marquesan styled patterns around his cheeks?

Go, man, go! Hey...where are those Mai Kai photos?

which one?

This one

or this one?

Now give me some design pointers... or else.

God, what an ugly mug on that guy in the green shirt!

B

Yeah, I don't know which is Uglie, I think the Monkeypod guy is prettiest! Clay IS a whole different ballgame ain't it??

While clay is wet it is a very forgiving material. Dried out it'll break off chip & shatter. Keep a spray bottle full & keep the clay wrapped in a plastic bag as long as your working on it Spray it dialy unless you wish to work it in a more leatherhard state.. I gotta Hand it to you on the peanut shaped head you took off with! Did you even consider the basic straight cylinder shape? I beat my clay with a small stick into the abstact shapes. Using it for measuring the equal negative space between eyes ears chin etc.etc... . One end & side of the stick has measurments different for the opposite. I try to make 2-5 projects a week! Where are you firing are you taking classes! Keep 'em coming!!

I plan on making a slip mold from this so it wont be fired. Im not taking any classes. I went to Michaels and purchased a small box of modeling clay and this is what happened on my first try.

I plan on throwing the basic peanut shape on a wheel next time to get more symmetry. I think the facial features need to be thinner.

I was hoping for lots of relief in the sculpt instead of the traditional cylinder.

Thank you for the ceramic tips. I need them.

T

I was wondering what kind of clay/material everyone has generally found best for sculpting mugs?

I've been by a few art supply stores and the choices are overwhelming! :)

Does the type of mold process determine which clay you should use?

Thanks!

T

Oh yeah - Monkeyman, cool start! Looks much more ambitious than I would try for my 1st... :)

Put me down for one!

I'm not sure how he'd work as a functional mug, but I really like him as-is!
I hope you keep him as a prototype even without the booze-hole.

I can see myself drinking from that fine vessel.......oh yes.

On 2006-03-13 17:13, Monkeyman wrote:
I plan on throwing the basic peanut shape on a wheel next time to get more symmetry. I think the facial features need to be thinner.

I was hoping for lots of relief in the sculpt instead of the traditional cylinder.

Maybe you could try starting with a cylinder and building it up at the top & bottom to make the peanut shape? And I'd think that making the facial features thinner would make them more fragile, maybe you could put them in lower relief if you want the features to look lighter? And how many parts are you planning on making the mold? I'd think you'd need a 5 part mold, and maybe even more, to make something with that kind of relief.

Slap that thing into the shape like you want it! cut it in half- Excavate it - Then put it together with some slip! You don't have to throw anything. KARATE CHOP! HIYA!!!

why am I cutting it and excavating it if I am going to use a slip mold? Does it need to be hollow to be a sculpt master?

P

drink now. mold later.

HIYA!

Hey Monkeyman, it's great to now put a face with the name!

That mug sculpt is great, and the unique design is what I like most. It'll make one of the cooler mugs out there, and I hand it to you - doing it all yourself.

H
hmc posted on Wed, Mar 15, 2006 6:24 PM

Monkeyman, you may get some tips from my mug making thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18329&forum=7&73

Yet to complete the thread though, but it's good for the stage you're at and the questions you are asking.

Hope it helps in some way.

what an awesome thread. How did I miss that?

You can bet I will be reading it and re reading it as I have time to move this project forward

P

monkeyman, that is one of the best "how to/work in progress" threads on the site. you'll enjoy it. i'm anxiously awaiting the continuation. i want one of the HMC mugs.

What an awesome design! What is the status on this?

Lovin' it! Put me down for one!

Pages: 1 26 replies