Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

help identify "lava-Ray"

Pages: 1 8 replies

During my tiki hunt in the wilds of Denver today i came across a lava statue of a surfer entitled "Surf Rider". He is really simular to coco joes stuff but a little more detailed. It still had the original paper hang tag that reads Made in Hawaii by "lava-Ray" copyright 1966 by Baray& Co. I googled lava ray and went on ebay but nothing about him so im turning to the experts now.. Anyone have any info? BTW i only paid 4 clams for him. I bypassed a print by Manor Shadian of a wahine carrying a basket of fruit...Turns out he lives in Hawaii and likes to paint polynesian life..that was 10 clams.Hopefully it will still be there on Mon! DOH!

HOK

Does the surfer have on a tank top on? I just got a lava figure marked surfrider and Hawaii on it's square base and nothing else. This was from a collector show and cost me $15. Sounds like you got a steal, with tags no less :o)

yep. thats the one..on the other side of the tag it reads:a mid-twenties figure of hawaiian surfrider, notable in the full one piece swimming suit, the days of solid wood surf boards,long before the advent of todays styrofoam and fiberglass products. And then the date of 1966. Its definatly a very cool piece!! I just wish i knew more about this lava-Ray guy!

When one wants to dance the hula,
bashfulness should be left at home.

[ Edited by: Hulakowloony 2006-03-16 21:33 ]

Pictures please!?!?!
Aloha,
:tiki:

yeah..im not so computer savy..i downloaded shutterfly but cant figure out how to get my pics from there to here any help anyone?

And this is another angle...

[ Edited by: Hulakowloony 2006-03-17 15:54 ]

Yeesh...sorry..just getting the hang of this..

HOK

On 2006-03-17 15:54, Hulakowloony wrote:

And this is another angle...

[ Edited by: Hulakowloony 2006-03-17 15:54 ]

Hulakowloony , have you seen ebay#7772580414, ended at $125.38 :D

Pages: 1 8 replies