Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Threshold for dairy in tiki drinks

Pages: 1 5 replies

I was wondering if anybody has or knows of any rules regarding what kind of threshold there is for putting dairy products like half and half, milk, or coconut milk/cream in drinks before they curdle.

I've had several bad experiences with this, but from my adventures I've found that a 1 to 1 ratio with acidic juice(orange, pineapple) and dairy is ok, but when the acid ratios get higher, it starts getting fuzzy for me.

Does anybody have any tips or advice for proportions or ingredients to use or stay away from?

DJHS

Great question!
I'm eagerly awaiting any responses.

W

DJ HawaiianShirt- Specific examples of what you were attempting would be useful. Were you following actual drinks recipes or trying to create something of your own? If the failed drinks were based on actual recipes it'd be useful if you could post the recipes that didn't work out. Sometimes it really isn't the maker of the drinks fault but a mistake in the recipes as published/posted.

i know that this won't answer you question specifically but i like to use half and half with coconut syrup to lighten a drink up a bit. for example if a drink calls for 1 ounce of coco syrup i'll use half an ounce of coconut syrup and half an ounce of dairy (half and half or milk if thats all ya got) to take some of the sweetness out of a drink. this is totally a personal preference thing but coco syrup is so dang sweet i like it better this way.

just a little tidbit that i thought i pass along to everyone.

I'm fairly confident that almost all the failures I've had were concoctions of my own, which shouldn't be a surprise.

I just bought a can of coconut milk and have been experimenting with it, so I'll let you know if any of my experiments turn out poorly.

Thanks for the help anyway.

DJHS

Well, I've figured out half the problem.

I've recently found a brand of pina colada mix that is quite thick, but also tastes of mostly coconut and little else.

It's very thick and sweet, so when one uses slightly less, it makes a great alternative to coconut cream or coconut milk. It's non-dairy, so there is never curdling, yet one gets the same taste, sweetness, and consistency.

As for half and half, I don't know of a replacement. Luckily, very few tiki drinks use half and half.

DJHS

Pages: 1 5 replies