Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

new small carving

Pages: 1 31 replies

P

well, i still don't have my new chisels so i can't finish my big tiki. i decided to do some stuff inside with the dremel.

rough out of my first tangaroa:

T

So far so good! How tall is he and what kind of wood?

P

he's about 4" tall from the feet. it's pine.

B

PDrake, he is looking great for youe second piece and so small at thet. You could use a dremel type tool to finish this guy, or just a Knife, and ofcourse I prefer the hungry Hook knife.

P

well, i wasn't going to post until he was done, but i know people like work in progress threads.

i need better tools, but i've found that one of the best tools is easy to get. it's also one of the hardest to use. most people hate it, too. sandpaper. especially on stuff this small.

it's tough going, but my companion, buddy helps.

J
john posted on Tue, Mar 14, 2006 10:44 PM

that lil feller is really coming to life. looks awesome, cant wait to see him finished!

P

thanks. it's really giving me an appreciation for people who carve small stuff. my fingertips are starting to hurt.

Wow P, look's like a real dog. Nice detail.

P

he's coming to life. i can't wait for my new tools to help with the details.

P

J

:) Very Nice. Can't wait to see what you can do with "nice tools"
JP

H
hewey posted on Fri, Mar 17, 2006 4:17 AM

Nice carving. Sweet and smooth. Nice

Love it. The pine is great!

Tools, don't create talent - they help it. You've got the talent. He looks great. I look forward to seeing the finished piece.

B

PDrake, Super job with no tools. Pretty soon you won't have that excuse, what are you gonna do then, More Better tikis, thats what.

P

well, i'm getting a little frustrated with this little guy. i think i might move him into the staining stage.

P

wow, finally got my new tools thanks on a reccommendation from benzart! opened the package up and two hours later had this:

thanks ben! the hungry hook knife rules!

[ Edited by: pdrake 2006-03-22 19:49 ]

B

PDrake, you are doing fine without toolz yet
-When your toolz come in, you won't know what to do . Keep up the good work

P

ben, thanks. i did get that small warren set today and popped out that little moai with just the hook knife. admittedly, it is just basswood (my dad was pushing me to give it a try, i still want to stick to hardwood), but at least it lets me get used to the new tools and what they can do.

That Moai is off to a good start. The Bassword is nice for getting the feel for a tool - especially one one as intinidating as the hook blade. If you stick with the small stuff look into using some of the palm chisels as well as chip carving knives. These have smaller blades that can be controlled better on alot of the harder woods. Keep going you'll only get better.

B

Really well done pDrake, that Moai is Excellent! Just wait till you get used to the tools and as AlohaStation said, the bass wood is the perfect wood to learn on. you will only get better as you learn the tools.

flip-flop-flip-flop-flippp... PINE-GAROA HAKA! (War Chant)

"Pinegaroa, Pinegaroa, Ka ora, ka ora, Whiti te ra!"
NZ translates: "...it is life, it is life, the sun shines!"

-- got tools yet?

P

almost ready for the final finish.

B

Pdrake don't give up on that first one. Give the mouth some definition and find the nose under there somewhere and he will be killer.
Your Moai looks excellent . Keep up the good work

P

here's the latest, furthest along. what do you guys think of the finish? i'm a novice to finishing at this point. it's not too late to change it up a little as it's not poly'd yet. he's 4" tall.

p.s. i don't know how to modify the title of a thread. anyone care to help?

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Apr 4, 2006 6:37 PM

still waiting for the weather to turn here in vegas. seems to be nice every day i have to work. in the meantime . . .

2" tiki

1" tiki

i'm going to make pendants out of these if anyone is interested.

[ Edited by: pdrake 2006-04-04 18:38 ]

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Apr 4, 2006 7:42 PM

P, Please look at #1 ! It would be killer to see done. Your doing great work!!!

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Apr 4, 2006 8:19 PM

thanks, i appreciate that. he's still sitting there staring at me.

B

PDrake, Nice stuff and your finish looks great. Looks very Old. I can see you are adapting to the toolz quite redily . Keep up the great work as we are looking for great things from you. You Can Do it!

P
pdrake posted on Wed, Apr 5, 2006 6:38 PM

thanks, ben. got the foredom chisel today in the mail. gonna bust that bad boy out tonight.

so, what do you think of my first pendant?

better color:

P
pdrake posted on Thu, Apr 6, 2006 8:00 PM

kahiki hoffman moai . . .

P

i need to get a life.

Pages: 1 31 replies