Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Grand Opening Of The Aloha Lounge in Ventura 3/23 and 3/24

Pages: 1 17 replies

V

Brother Iggy of the Aloha Lounge asked me to invite the Ohana to the Grand Opening of Ventura's Newest Tiki Bar, Thursday and Friday night 3/23 and 3/24!!
There will be live Hawaiian Music as well as a Surf Rock Band.
There will be Food and Drink specials.
I will be there with some of my tiki stuff on display.

Iggy also needs some help designing a tiki menu,if anyone's interested.

He can be reached at 805 652 2061
The Aloha Lounge
2815 E Main St
Ventura, Ca. 93003

I Hope to see you there!!!

Sounds very cool. Do you happen to know the name of the Surf band playing?
If not could you find out and post please?
I'm in O.C. but I might make it up for that.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Damn! We will be out of town. Who am I missing besides VonTiki? Kelp? The Phantom Riders?
I think he should have the event the following weekend.............O.K?

I thought the menu was already Mixed Plate & Pho, or am I thinking about Mai's Cafe?

I will be there at least on Friday.........hopfully Corey's working she can make a mean drink but is still learning the tiki drinks.....

L

On 2006-03-16 08:10, freddiefreelance wrote:
I thought the menu was already Mixed Plate & Pho, or am I thinking about Mai's Cafe?

correctuh moon doe on both counts. It is Mai's cafe, too. She owns it, Gary "manages" it.

V

I'm not the message, I'm only the messenger. I don't know who owns or manages the place, or the name of the bands, or what kind of food, all I know is...... well, I guess I don't know too much. But I'm going to have a great time!There is a phone number you can call them.
I don't think he needs help with the food, he is interested in someone helping him create an actual menu for the restaurant with Hawaiian designs on it, etc. The guy's a little odd, but who isn't? His name is Gary or Iggy.

[ Edited by: vontiki 2006-03-16 23:01 ]

L

On 2006-03-16 19:46, VonTiki wrote:
I'm not the message, I'm only the messenger. I don't know who owns or manages the place, or the name of the bands, or what kind of food, all I know is...... well, I guess I don't know too much.....
he is interested in someone helping him create an actual menu for the restaurant with Hawaiian designs on it,

allegedly, there may be the following...

ENTERTAIMENT
Chris & Friends
Frank Corsican & Brothers
Phantom Riders
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageartist.cfm?bandID=127710
Cadillac Angels
http://www.cadillacangels.com/

MENUS
apparently looking for a sponsor, to design and print their menus....
as graphic art would be approx. $60 - $75 an hour, and approx 4 hrs to design logo... the menu may be too costly for a fledgling restaurant to pay.
so,,, is he asking vontiki to solicit for free service, design and printing?

V

Vontiki is not Soliciting, VonTiki is not Italian.I'm 100% Scottish!! I don't know what he wants to do with the menu, he asked me if I wanted to do it, and I said " It's not my bag, baby!"

[ Edited by: VonTiki 2006-03-18 00:36 ]

Gary is his name.....he is asking for some help designing a menu and maybe some drinks.......he basically wants to invite the tiki comunity into his bar if we are interested........I spoke with him Thurday Night and will probibly talk to him more this week.....he has suggested if the locals would like to have a TC night he would be willing to let us.....the bar looks good but is a log ways from being done.....I may help him out a bit (maybe in trade for drinks hehehe) but am curious if the Ventura TCers would like to hold a weekly meet like people do in other areas.......

V

I'd be game for that, Doc.

Our Hawaii trip has been delayed due to my weather worried wahine, so we will be there Friday night after all. The Phantom Riders & The Cadillac Angels are a bit more Rockabilly (not a bad thing) and Blues , but they do play a bit of surf too. CA's "Nobody Sings Or The Guitar Gets It" is one of my faves......lotsa Link Wray vibes and a cool version of Apache. Look forward to seeing our fellow 805ers too.....

V

This just in!!!
............let me clarify...its happening Braddah Iggy is not Tiki Cultured BUT BUT BUT does support and RESPECT the Tiki. He is willing to Do WHAT is needed to make TIKI Culture happen in Ventura and the Tri-counties. Full on Tiki Nite, FREE banquet room RENTAL, COMP app & DINNER raffle, TIKI drink DA REAL KINE way with the the TRUE recipe, everything and all TIKI BUT he is not TIKI cultured, willing to learn.
On Thursday Comp appetizers at 5 till 7, Braddah Kawika, just off da plane 2 days ago- he da kine free-styke island music- beachboy days, den afta dat he has THE CORSICAN Brothers dey play old school fun Beach and more. Friday almost da same with FRank B. going solo and playing a few of the originals.
He is inviting everyone to come on by to have some fun, meet some new friends and share Aloha!!!

.....That's from the horse's mouth!!!----VonTiki

[ Edited by: vontiki 2006-03-22 17:23 ]

[ Edited by: VonTiki 2006-03-22 17:25 ]

Well.......I don't think they were quite ready. Table cards announcing they had Hinano......they were out (they did have Kona Pale Ale on tap though). After getting our menus and all geared up for some Hawaiian grinds.....sorry not available tonight, just Vietnamese. Maybe they could have told us that first. No Cadillac Angels or Phantom Riders. Just a guy and his guitar playing Neil Diamond and the Beatles (but very well). The Mai Tai still needs work, just your standard tropical pineapple drink. It was nice to see VonTiki and Dr. Shocker. I think they need more time, so for now ......Hong Kong Inn?????? Dr. Shocker said he was going to try to help them with their drink recipes, so we will pretend this was not the grand opening and try again another time.

Ouch!
Thanks for the review!
Ran

Hey BongoFury,
I guess it's a good thing I had forgotten about this, and not drove up there from O.C. to be there for that.
But Kirby and I did get a bum notice on the door at the Lucky Tiki last night, that they were temporarily closed for plumbing repairs( about time).

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Has this place improved?

V

In my humble opinion, ....No.

Pages: 1 17 replies