Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

podcasting @ tiki ti???

Pages: 1 18 replies

K

that's RIGHT people out there - hardcore homeboys and ladies i'm proud to report i am going to be in control of you minds and the wind through your hair too as you sip your magic lick at the universe's most interesting island stop - the tiki ti! the date and time info for this musicla event to be firm as the volcanic rock you sit and stand on as soon as i know specifics - i find out tonight just when this is all happening - see those of you that are lucky enough to live close by the best bar bar none tonight at about 6PM - CHICHI!

P

OK I guess I'm gonna have to go buy one of those micro-jukeboxes I've been trying to avoid.

Sheesh - an all out tiki-pod assault in the last few weeks.

I give. :wink:

K

once you have an ipod you can never look at a CD the same - at ALL! soon you'll be lecturing about the extreme convenience involved with owning an MP3 player that holds 3 months of record time...it RULES just like the tiki ti RULES!

The IPOD has changed my music and music habits forever

K

yes i have tons MORE searing guitar now than ever before - see those interested in searing guitar and low solos over rain and clave next wed!

IZ

On 2006-03-16 19:07, kooche wrote:
once you have an ipod you can never look at a CD the same - at ALL! soon you'll be lecturing about the extreme convenience involved with owning an MP3 player that holds 3 months of record time...it RULES just like the tiki ti RULES!

Yeah, the ipod is pretty great. But I'm kinda tired of all the hoopla surrounding the "next" digital device that can store a bizillion things. Quantity is not all its cracked up to be. Some of us get lost in all that capacity (and weirdly, listen to the same things over and over again), or get sick of the interface (e.g. computer interface). CDs are ok, when they don't skip. I still love vinyl, and have a ton of it that sounds great on my turntable. Both give you a manageable size of product, liner notes, cover art -- all part of the deal. I get podcasts of things (Vegas Vic), I listen to Brogdon' Retro Cocktail Hour and WFMU with Real Audio, I download from blogs, and listen to internet and local radio -- if its good. Hell, even cassettes in the car sometimes.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm kinda bored by all the technology, and the next new thing, and how technology dictates how we're supposed to listen to things. I listen to what I want/need to listen to using whatever I have at my disposal, provided it sounds good. Don't fall into the trap that all those people did in the 80s when they got rid of their vinyl collections and replaced them with CDs.

It's ok to stick with what works for you, whether it be Ipod or 45" singles.

There's nothing quite like an 8 track!! I love hearing that "kerchunk" between tracks.
Seriously, I bought a lot of '78s on ebay just for the one Les Baxter and when they arrived, there was one broken disc - Les Baxter!!!!! What's up with that??

K

i am pretty sure i'm going to have to hear "who is this, man?" a million times that night - ZOOOM!

the ipod is sick - fidelity quality depends on just where the F you are when you are plugged into a record player and amp - at home i think that's grand! in fact - anyone that agrees that audio fidelity is great from a warm analog source can meet me there with the rig and i'll spin 78's ALL NIGHT! my record collection started in kauai

but YEAH - i, miles thompson am going to be hipping the joint up - frankly i think everyone agrees that the place needs a VIBE that really makes you want to get nude in the corner - Buffet don't cut - sorry... i simply am the one man prepared to deliver just the right soundwave so don't fucking miss it - lest you be a HAROLD or a CLARK!

no really - come dig on my superior playlist - anyone want to record it? - it'll have your river deep and your mountain high boy - you'll have an extra hole after me - what's on it?
NO 1 2 NO 1 2 DOO DOO
i play the songs that make the whole world sing! i play that shit at like 90RPM - sometimes if it's a good slow song i'll uprock to 45RPM and try to imagine some great orchestral hits or audio samples from old movies or commercials then i create the dubby drum track @ 490BPM and after that the guitar comes in - WRONG!

ok a couple names for you learning about me and my music for good people to get down on

Band of Bees
Friends of Dean M
Dim Dim (this shit'll piss you off because it'll make your hair and bad ref look as derivative as they are)
CALEXICO
SPECIALS
some REAL new orleans shit man - dave bartholomew - poor new orleans
dick dale circa 61
Gershon Kingsley
some other stuff that'll have your hip boots up around your shoulders all night

is this it? i do not play swinger - get your ass down there and move it you fake pagan baby! really stomp your floridian sunscreen coated heels and get some mud on ya if you want the fire to go out! 3+ hours from mellow to buzzed around the globe ROCK RAP POP EXOTIC WORLDWOP JAZZ 80S 70S 60S BLUES PLUG PLUG PLUG!

P

I do believe that this is the greatest post I've ever seen on any forum.

I read it out loud while watching that scene from It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World where the hipster in the bathing suit is dancing with that hot chick and I went into groove convulsions for 20 minutes. When I got up off the floor, my hair had grown 4 inches.

This podcast has changed my life already.

IZ

"I don't dig you Kooche. What'ya trying to say?"

Seriously, missed the boat on your post entirely, sorry for the Luddite rant.

And Conga, what a sad story... a busted Baxter 78 is a real heartbreaker.

K

my 60GB ipod doesn't keep me from organizing my music was my only point - the toughest part is emptying the "NEW" playlist every 2 days - i use my rating system to keep myself on top of what is going to be played 3 weeks or years in a row ... and i get SO much stuff that isn't already on the market and won't be for months - i can't play 1/3 of what i want to because i'd have people asking where i got this or that ... it's nice to know that there is a musical section to this portal but the amount of conservative reminiscing and repetition here is sad - i have lead many a horse to water but weather or not they drink is somebody else's problem...i'm going to turn teh old folks home ON! can you dig that you zombie?

T

Miles, I like new music. When are you going to be podcasting from Tiki-Ti? Will you be playing the music live in the bar, too?

K

wed march 22nd at 6PM promptly i'll be airing out some old favs and introducing some new sounds to the world too - i won't be playing live but i might have my laptop on hand to do some switcheroos - we'll see about set up!

i will also have a new tiki painting for sale - yes - i said new tiki painting for sale - those interested in owning it should contact me via email from my site ASAP to be placed on the list for this 1 new image - 2X2' gouache on paper - possible blacklight theme! all i can say is that it's going to have 3 flaming monkeys a chihuahua and a dead Moai DJ playing some records for a Wahine in a tiki bar with the usual wacky decor and plant/animal life

Pablus - HILRAIOUS!

http://www.kooch-e-koo.com

[ Edited by: kooche 2006-03-18 13:49 ]

K

music is as personal a vice as painting or food or sex or drugs or religion - and in fact we should all be happy that there is an "unusually experimental" section in the local record store unless of course you live in a one horse town that doesn't have a body of saltwater nearer than 500 miles away...then you are an ebay collector whore who doesn't know how many souls have died happily worshipping the sun outdoors AND listening to music while they are in the light of the it - if someone is trying to turn you on to music like this post is trying to i would imagine that any reaction short of an enthusiasm for the joy of sharing is simply childish and that can so readily be dismissed by anyone with a smidgen of self esteem - it's about discovery and you know what the Spanish Explorers responsible for Manifest Destiny said about Columbus in his day ...

radio is pretty cool - it's history is great - but if you take it too seriously today or try to placate your fellow listeners you are sad - i don't want to dictate what good or bad taste means for he or she because i only know what i personally love - we don't care who you are or what you think you know when it comes to music unless you are a music maker - it's easy to come off like a liner note author and not a radio show programer of original distinction - but hey i haven't listened to any exoticasts so i may have a second career in ventriloquism starring my ass end and not even know it - doubtful but possible that i will play the worst 3 hour set under the worst audio enjoyment conditions imaginable - i have wax but i won't tote - at least not this time but possible for the 45th anniversary party at the tiki ti - i like to listen not look at sleeves because i do that at the store/swap

why haven't i listened to any podcasts from the exotica extravaganza that is before me here on TC?

i like to pick my own plays just like you - but i buy from every distinct music genre because it's an adventure EVERY time weather or not it's a Maori school girl's choir - a drum circle in cuba - or some 18 year old brats from Hollywood - why deny yourself that? i put ears to playlists from amigos or amigas ALL the time and it merits the joy of the one hit wonder that had me hooked as a music lover as soon as i was getting an allowance - the internet is for all of humanity not just the elitist EZ listener - i want reading copies or mp3s and i have a bundle of that thanks to TC and years and years of collecting - no MINT LPs 45s or 10"s for me thanks

miss the boat or not it's disembarking this wed and Henry Mancini is on it!

IZ

Amen, Brother!

H

Miles, how late will you be there? I would like to come and hear.

K

i think what i'll do is arrive at 5:45ish to kick the f*cking thing off right with a chichi as i set up the cables and airtime begins promptly at 6PM when the regular kids cruise through the door - then i'll hang out until about 10PM i guess - i hope you can make it! 4 hours of playtime - no mare than 3 drinks or i am dooooomed!

H

Q-tiki and I will be there.

K

though i will be playing some tunes wed the painting thing ain't happening - i thought i could finish in time but i haven't even gotten this thing under a black light and i just found some glitter i want to use and since finding it i've decided that i'm going to go out and find some jems to use as eyes - if i wasn't buried in TV backgrounds to paint i'd have something new to share but it just isn't in my cards this week - why rush it? so be warned that i won't have this there i don't want anyone to cross town on false pretenses

sorry! - here is a sneak peak!

Pages: 1 18 replies