Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

A Frame pole carving - suggestions wanted!

Pages: 1 11 replies

Just picked up three 10" diameter pine logs, 2 @ 7' long, one 6'. I'm having a triangle concrete pad laid next weekend, and the two 7' will be the front supports for a thatch A Frame structure, with the 6' the back support.

I plan to carve the back one on the side facing the front of the structure. For the front two.. I want to carve the fron of them, but I'm thinking from inside, I'll be looking at the back side of the logs. Should I.... carve tikis front and back.... carve the front and leave the back alone... carve the front and put router style tapa patterns in the back???

Anyone gone through this process already? Suggestions much appreciated!

K
kirby posted on Wed, Mar 15, 2006 9:41 PM

id carve both sides..where did you get those logs ????

T

Exactly! That was my first question! Where did you get the logs? That's great! Yeah - Carve both sides! I wanna do that! Don't listen to me tho - I havn't done nuttin like that yet. Keep us posted please. Progress pics would be great.....

I got them from C& E Lumber in Pomona... they have all sorts and sizes. Not cheap, though... $27/ foot. But they are really clean, few knots, smooth finish, ready to go. The three pieces came out of 1 20' log.. so they are all pretty identical.

Have you caught any art from the Pacific N W tribes. They must have been on something to get those boxes & poles carved up the way they did!

Are you going to have a concrete pier foundation with a post mounting bracket on top? 6' & 7' posts are too short to put in a post hole.

Freddie.. yep, there will be brackets on the top of the concrete floor. The posts aren't going in the ground.

Does anyone have any pics of a carved on both sides? I'd love to see how you handle the mid point where the two carvings meet.

B

Those are Nice lookin logs DB, and I wiuld carve them All the way around. Maybe use some Tapa type filler, but carve everything you are gonna see. Years later, you will be very glad you did..

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 05:42:50 ]

H
Helz posted on Sat, Mar 18, 2006 6:46 AM

Here's a pic from inside the Tahiti room at the Mai Kai If you look it shows a pretty good 3/4 front of one of the poles and a not too bad shot of the back of another pole. I have a bunch more pics if you need, but this is the only one I have that shows pretty much all around the pole in one shot.

I know the pic is a little small but I hope it helps.

Man...those suckers are c l e a n. Makes my mouth water.

Pages: 1 11 replies