Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Not really a creating tiki...more like a 'enhancing' tiki question or two.

Pages: 1 0 replies

H
Helz posted on Thu, Mar 16, 2006 9:49 AM

As an amazing community of unbelievably talented and creative people, I was hoping to solicit a little information and opinion on my newest project.

As you have probably seen in Tiki Marketplace (here), Big Lots currently has a resin knockoff of Pele from The Enchanted Tiki Room. It was suggested on that thread that it might be a cool idea to paint her like the original, and that's what I'd like to do. That's where the questions come in.

1. How is/was Pele painted? I've done my research and found several pictures (Here on TC, on Flickr, etc.) and have seen her in several different paint jobs. Some are orange and red, which makes sense, others have green on them. I'm assuming that the one at Disney World is different than the one at Disneyland, and that he probably got freshened up as part of the redo. So with all that, what's she really supposed to be like? (any close up pics would be greatly appreciated.)

2. What type of paint would you all recommend for her? I don't plan on leaving her outdoors, but she might make an occasional appearance on the deck. I was assuming that artist acrylics would perform satisfactorily, but I wasn't sure about any necessary surface prep, etc. Also, I'm wondering about technique. The original is not merely painted but shows much of the texture of the piece.

Hopefully this information will be useful to the others of you that are also contemplating an enhancement of your Pele.

[ Edited by: HelzTiki 2006-03-16 11:07 ]

[ Edited by: Helztiki 2006-03-16 12:01 ]

Pages: 1 0 replies