Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

'Tiki on the Town' April 1st - Denver

Pages: 1 19 replies

April 1st Denver, CO
A Tiki Oasis 6 pre-party here in Colorado.

We here in Denver are patiently waiting for the new Tiki Boyd's to open before I can start up the Night of Tiki slideshows again. However, that does not mean we can't still have a tiki function. So it is with pleasure that I announce the first 'Tiki on the Town' event, sponsored by the Rocky Mountain Tiki Newsletter.

Saturday, April 1. Tiki drinks and pupus at the Twin Dragon Restaurant and Lounge (3021 South Broadway in Englewood). The Twin Dragon is a well established chinese restaurant with FANTASTIC food. The also serve great flaming pupu platters. Speaking of flaming, they serve a flaming volcano bowl, along with several other tiki drinks in various tiki mugs (skull mugs, monkeys, buddas, scorpion bowls, etc.). Meet at the Dragon at 7:00 pm for fun, food and drinks.

Then head over to the Skylark Lounge (140 South Broadway, just north of Alameda) to hear The Beloved Invaders. These guys are a Boulder based instrumental surf band. You will hear Miserlou (Pulp Fiction), Hawaii 5-0, James Bond theme, Pipeline and other surf classics. These guys really play great music.

Hope to see you at the Dragon and/or the Skylark on Saturday April 1st in your best tiki attire. Drop me a note if you plan on attending so I have a rough idea how many may show up.

Zulu

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-03-17 17:38 ]

Sounds Stupendous!!!

Count us in!

2 Tiki Finks

Count me in too..I may have to miss Dinner(on account i have to sling drinks @another restaurant) but i love the skylark..see you all there!

Count me and my wife in, at least for dinner.

My wife and I might be a half-hour late for dinner, but think we can make it. The band sounds good, but have a prior engagement after dinner.

I'm fairly new to this list and after checking out the former Tiki Boyd's (just plain scary), it's good that tiki isn't going to die w/the temporary demise of Boyd's.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Eleio

I'd also be interested in discussing exotica music.

Frank Hunter, among others.

MD

So yeah....I gonna do my best to get my happy ass out on the town and plow through a few with ya all. I mean sip, sip a few with you lovely gents and ladies.
I NEVER plow through my beverages. Ever.
Dinner, I don't know, Skylark though.....home sweet home....I don't know why all these people won't leave.
I'm gonna try...Amy is about to pop. So we'll see.
But I do miss all your smiling faces and that grass hat on Zulu's head. Thanks for setting this up. Mahalo.

Hey Dale, Alissa and I were just talking about you and Amy last night. So Amy is still waiting? Hope everything goes smoothly and happens soon. That last month is a bitch to wait. If you can't make it, we know why. I'm glad our second daughter is past the newborn stage and we won't have to go through that again.

Maybe you can drag Amy out to another tiki function this summer we can can meet her and she can see for herself how much fun this is.

Zulu

[ Edited by: zulumagoo 2006-03-22 20:07 ]

MD

I'm gonna try and see if'n she'll come along to the dinner....that would be fun. Her twin sister will be in town from L.A. so we'll see if we can all get together with ya all.
Then maybe I'll sneek away to the skylark. Holy Sh-t Monkey, that would fun.

Bump

H
Helz posted on Fri, Mar 24, 2006 2:08 PM

Not to hijack this thread, but could someone PM me some info on the Rocky Mountain Tiki Newsletter?

Here is some info that I emailed out a few weeks ago about the Rocky Mountain Tiki Newsletter:

"Aloha fellow Denver tiki friends!

I have two great pieces of news for you today.

First, I have heard through the jungle vines that the new Tiki Boyd's location is still moving forward and making progress! Things are happening. More info to come later.

Second, it is with great pleasure that I announce the publication of the new Rocky Mountain Tiki Newsletter. The premier issue is attached to this email as a .pdf file. I started this free electronic newsletter to provide a source of current information for the tiki freaks here in the Denver area. There will not be a regular publication schedule, however, I will put out issues when something is happening, or I have a good story. This is a free newsletter. If you are on my Denver exotica email list (you are if you have received this email from me directly), then you are on the subscription list and will receive all future issues. As a side note, if you have anything you would like to see in the newsletter, drop me a note at [email protected]. Stir up a mai tai and enjoy!

Aloha!
Zulumagoo"

If anyone else is interested in receiving the newsletter, send your email address to the above link.

Here is Issue #1

MD

Hey ya Zulu.....(or anyone else)
Does old Tiki Bill know anout this? He might enjoy it.

He doesn't have a phone or a computer, (no lights, no motor car...not a single luxury.....Like Robinson Crusoe.... its as primitive as can be.....)
Yep, I miss ol' Gilligan.

Let me know and if need be I'll send him an actual paper (!) letter a.s.a.p.

The owner of the largest tiki collection in town should probably attend.

Balder than a fisherman tiki...Mr. Dale

I sent the info to Bill via regular mail last week (actually had to make a trip to the post office). I have not heard back from him yet.

TF

See you all Saturday night!

Should be cool!

T.F

C

A big "thank you" to Zulu for putting together last night's gathering. Though my wife and I were only able to dine, we enjoyed meeting everyone. The Pu-pu was excellent and the drinks were great! Looking forward to our next gathering and getting to know the Denver Tiki community better.

TF

THanks Zulu for making this last gathering happen. Sorry I couldn't stay for the pu pu but we had to hurry off to meet some friends at The Sky Chicken.

Again Thanks!

T.F.

Z

That was a fun evening! Thanks to everyone who showed up, we had a pretty good crowd (about 20 folks show up). I spoke with owner of the Dragon at the end of the evening and she told me they very much enjoyed having us.

The Beloved Invaders were great as usual, but the Skylark seemed extra crowded last Saturday.

Keep your eyes open for future issues of the newsletter and future events.

Zulu

MD

Thanks Zulu....sorry we couldn't stay...We really thought that was gonna be the night. But it didn't happen. But soon.
Loved the dragon....really loved the drinks and mugs. We wanta go back after the little one arrives.
But thanks again for all the work into these get togethers.

C

Unrelated question.

Any problems with starting a Denver Tiki thread in the Ohana section or do Denver people want to discuss, post announcements, etc. within this thread?

Posting items within the other threads is also good, but thought something Denver specific would also be helpful.

Pages: 1 19 replies