Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

My First

Pages: 1 2 replies

TH

Bought my first Martin Denny CD yesterday, "The Best of Martin Denny's EXOTICA".

Got home and it was dinner time, poured a drink, put on the CD, lit the grill, put on some chops, poured another drink, turned on the Tiki Bar lights, lit some candles and sat back and relaxed...

The wife even liked the relaxing sounds of Denny's music.....Today, another adventure begins....

When I first discovered this subculture called tiki, I really didn't know much about exotica music at all, and I'd never even heard of Martin Denny. Then my wife bought me a Martin Denny CD and I sat up all night listening to it. I was shocked at how the music made me feel; all the emotional ups and downs. It's wonderful stuff, almost magical. At the risk of sounding dramatic, his music did change my life. I'm sure you already know, you're in for a real treat!

G

I originally came into Denny from my mom: she had a modest collection of his works that she played when I was young.

I recall also trying the albums out back in my high school years and, naturally, hating them.

Fast forward to '99 or so, with the release of the "Ultra Lounge" album, which included a remix of Hypnotique. I was intrigued, and got ahold of the Exotica III / Hypnotique reissue from Scamp. It was all downhill from there, as I've collected a pretty decent-sized collection of Denny's works, both in CD and original LPs when I can find 'em. I even carefully brought back an original monaural Exotica and a silver-covered Exotic Sounds of the Silver Screen from a trip to Iowa City. Yes, also my mom's old albums are now mine, and take a place of honour in the collection.

The vinyl gets spun pretty regularly, especially Exotica III, which seems to be my fave of the collection nowadays. It's like an instant "mood adjustment."

I picked up The Best of Martin Denny's Exotica yesterday. Not much I didn't have on there, but still a fine selection of tracks, including some of my favourites from Mr. Denny. Great packaging, too, which is a rarity nowadays.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

Pages: 1 2 replies