Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Am I tiki?

Pages: 1 9 replies

Am I tiki, and if so where did I come from?

It must of had a name plate on the front as you can still see the glue in the indentation.
On the back side that I am showing in the photo. Stamped into the plastic as best as I can see, it states : " posting paid to ( that's kinda strange to write "to" instead of "by"?)
P.O. Box 5087
then it looks like JHB 2000

I could be wrong on all the printing...my eyes aren't what they used to be.
The keys came attached too, but I doubt they had anything to do with a room key. One the keys has "park then the key hole, Africa. Looks like the key is made by union.
Could this be a key to some African motel, or maybe a tigers cage? :)

L

that is a South Africa address.
(Johannesburg 2000)
So, yea. probably a hotel.

[ Edited by: lanikai 2006-03-19 15:56 ]

My guess is African too, although it bears a resemblance to this mug:

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2006-03-19 16:05 ]

L

that settles it. African generic mask iconography's contemporary influences are from Disneyland.

just found this thread, per this key i just found:
so this thread concludes that it is african, but it sure looks tiki to me!

Me too. Kinda "Westwood mug" generic mod Tiki, but Tiki nevertheless. Dang, what motel/hotel did it belong to !?

It finally hit me, where I'd seen that image before. The Disney World Polynesian Village Resort Mug:

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=1186

Coincidence?

Same style, but except for the mouth, all the other features are different:

i am curious what mug sabu posted years ago. it does look very westwood-y.

it would be the ultimate meta-irony if a hotel in africa based their african mask design on a poly-pop westwood tiki mug.

The url for the missing image Sabu posted above is "http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1549862/i/disneypolymug.jpg," so I presume it was the same Disney World Polynesian Village Resort mug posted by Loki-Tiki. Unless there is another Disney Polynesian styled mug out there that better resembles the key fob design?

Bear

Pages: 1 9 replies