Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Best South Pacific Tiki Destination

Pages: 1 14 replies

C

The Lady and I are planning a trip to the South Pacific, she to dive for pearls, and me to drink cocktails and collect as much Tiki as will fit in my suitcase.
Can any one recommend which island would be the best for Tiki?
At the mo am favoring Moorea or Samoa or Vanuatu.
Muchos Gracias.

A

Tiki Village on Moorea.

Also, the Marquesas for purcahsing carvings.

This thread should be useful:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15989&forum=1&hilite=tahiti

Tahiti is relatively expensive but stunning.
The Cook Islands have a good bit of everything. Tiki, Diving, sightseeing food and drink.
Personally I would avoid most of Fiji unless you can afford the upper end of the market.
My hands down winner would always be Samoa, the people are the greatest, the Islands are unspoilt and beautiful, you can get loads of Tapa, war clubs, Kava bowls, but you will have difficulty spotting a Tiki.

Fly from Papatee to Easter Island (roundtrip - non stop on LanChile).

I understand there are plenty of moai there.

H

I recently went on a cruise to the SP. I visited Fiji, New Caledonia, Vanuautu.

The nicest place I found was Vanuatu. It was the cleanest, nicest people, crystal clear water, plenty of tiki to buy. The girlfriend and I decided, if we ever go back to just one, that is the place.

Some general advice: Bigger islands/towns have better tiki shopping and duty free shopping opportunities. The smaller islands seemed to be the ones offering the better snorkeling and what have you. Also just less crowded in general. Depends if you want to burl around sight seeing in a crazy taxi, or lie on the beach for a week.

In Papeete:

1. the Marche Papeete has tikis for sell on the 2nd floor.

2. The Tiki Bar at the InterContiental, has poles carved into tikis

3. The Gauguin Museum has a tiki in the garden.

4. the temple Marae Arahurahu in Paea, Tahiti

In the Marquesas,

Ua Huka:

1. tikis in the Hane Valley

2. Hokatu Geological Museum

Hiva Oa:

1. Taaoa Valley Archeological sights

2. Near the Village of Puamau

C

On 2006-03-20 06:37, condo65 wrote:
The Lady and I are planning a trip to the South Pacific, she to dive for pearls, and me to drink cocktails and collect as much Tiki as will fit in my suitcase.
Can any one recommend which island would be the best for Tiki?
At the mo am favoring Moorea or Samoa or Vanuatu.
Muchos Gracias.

A

Thanks v much for info

C

On 2006-03-20 12:35, cheekytiki wrote:
Tahiti is relatively expensive but stunning.
The Cook Islands have a good bit of everything. Tiki, Diving, sightseeing food and drink.
Personally I would avoid most of Fiji unless you can afford the upper end of the market.
My hands down winner would always be Samoa, the people are the greatest, the Islands are unspoilt and beautiful, you can get loads of Tapa, war clubs, Kava bowls, but you will have difficulty spotting a Tiki.

Cheers Jamie!
Looking forward to Vic's, am already writing new stuff!

Andy (lux condo)

V

MARQUESAS !!!
you'll find the true polynesian isles + tikis + excellent food + not so expensive guesthouses...

got home from the Cook islands yesterday !
will post photos soon, AWSOME place, more Tangaroa than you can point a stick at, lots of local carvers on the backroad great stores like "island craft" (expensive but great to look at) super friendly locals & fantastic food. what more can you ask for.

Oh yeah theres that whole tropical paradise thing too.

cheers
Bob

S

A friend who has traveled to all the islands and continues to do so at least twice a year since 1969 suggested to me that I go to the Cook Islands. The people are friendly and speak English. The culture is very intact. The beauty is beyond Tahiti. Prices are reasonable. Tiki? In my opinion, "tiki," as defined by Tiki Central, is not in the South Pacific. "Tiki" is int he USA. It's at Hala Kahiki Chicago and Trader Vic's. "Tiki" is the illusion created by Donn Beach. The best of "tiki" is at the Mai Kai, with a few side trips around Florida.

Something I've always wanted to do is travel around Polynesia via tramp freighter, sleeping in a stateroom where available, sleeping on deck where not.

http://www.freightercruises.com/05/08/-news.html

T

On 2006-04-26 13:03, freddiefreelance wrote:
Something I've always wanted to do is travel around Polynesia via tramp freighter, sleeping in a stateroom where available, sleeping on deck where not.

The Aranui is my dream South Pacific trip. A few years ago Sven (bigbrotiki) took that voyage.

http://www.aranui.com/

On 2006-04-26 13:24, thejab wrote:

On 2006-04-26 13:03, freddiefreelance wrote:

The Aranui is my dream South Pacific trip. A few years ago Sven (bigbrotiki) took that voyage.

http://www.aranui.com/

It's relatively easy to get between islands by jumping on supply boats and sometimes the only way (to the more out of the way Islands).
I got on board a boat on Rarotonga to get to Samoa, took three days, slept on deck, saw the northern atolls and cost around $100 NZ which at that time was around £25.
You usually have to ask the captain for permission and you need to have your paperwork, otherwise just remember to take some food!
I was going to return from New Zealand to the UK by container ship, but the budget wouldn't allow (flying is Cheaper), it's around £50-£80 a day (40 days sailing!)and if you have ever been on a cruise ship a container ship is probably more Luxurious if you are a passenger hence the price. Gym, Swimming pool, Although you are expected to eat with the captain most evenings and a dinner suit is apparently needed.
There is a great book with all the shipping routes, passenger prices, contacts etc, but I've lost my copy unfortunately

On 2006-04-27 01:44, cheekytiki wrote:
There is a great book with all the shipping routes, passenger prices, contacts etc, but I've lost my copy unfortunately

Cargo Ship Cruising?

Pages: 1 14 replies