Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

spam

Pages: 1 5 replies

Lately, I've been receiving a lot of spam and I noticed that the cc list is filled with names of people with "tiki" and such in their email addresses which leads me to believe that someone has swiped our email addresses from here. Has anyone else been having this problem? I'm just trying to pin this down.

[ Edited by: suburbanpagan 2006-03-20 12:47 ]

If you have your e-mail address listed on your website, it's probably coming from there. The quilt web site I maintain generates upwards of 200+ spam e-mails a day, 50% containing the word 'fabric' or 'quilt'. I would start by removing your e-mail link, or creating a simple form people can e-mail you through. Good luck!

Ahhhh yes! Thanks for the insight!

Actually, I've been having a ton of new spam as well and have noticed 'tiki' in several of the other addresses. It started about a week ago, and for some reason the 'tiki' spam is making its way around the filter.

Time to fiddle with the filter I guess.

-L

S

It could be from a virus. If someone with lots of tiki friends in the address book has a virus, it could be spamming everyone in that book.

Another trick on the email address on your webpage front is to spell out your address rather than having it as a link. swany at swankpad dot org will elude the spam bots.

Or move over to CatalystIT as your web host and email host. I get zero spams and my email address is all over the place. Corporate hosts generally are not great at blocking spam. They don't care enough.

Thanks for all the input! I think my first order of business is to remove the email link and see where we go from there!

Pages: 1 5 replies