Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Pics of the finished HRHH mugs now posted on the second page!

Pages: 1 24 replies

K

Yes folks, the Hot Rod Hula Hop is now on Myspace @:

http://www.myspace.com/hotrodhulahop

..and it wants to be your friend!

(Turns out myspace isn't just for band dudes and teenage attention whores. Who knew? -grin-)

So stop on by and do the whole cyber-pal thing and you'll get all the latest updates on this years event.

The FOM events page will also carry all the details, so look for updates there soon @: http://www.FraternalOrderofMoai.org/events.html

Mahalo, and we hope you'll join us in August!

Ahu

Fraternal Order of Moai

[ Edited by: KuKuAhu 2006-08-01 12:11 ]

K

Oh, and uh... I'll fix that whole HTAccess thing for the FOM events link. Sorry bout that.

Ahu

"The Revenge of the Moai" event will be even bigger and better than last year!! Lots of surprises in store for all you Kahiki nuts! Hey, and I'm DJ'ing too!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Hot Damn!!! Hot Rod Hula Hop is in my extended network!

Wait a second. What is my "extended network?"

I need to ask my 21 yr. old nephew about this MySpace stuff. In the meantime, I'm already excited about this year's Hop!

I just saw a mug preview for this, and it is freakin awesome!

T

This is the prototype. Not glazed yet. or totaly done. Way cool!

That looks great! I can't wait to see the finished goods.

Can't wait to get back out to OH to visit with you all! We have a car load of folks coming out too!

I became a friend of the Hot Rod Hula Hop a while back...and I don't regret it for a minute. I can't think of a more loyal and reliable pal. I recommend it to all.

Can't wait for the event!

K

[ Edited by: kukuahu 2008-10-21 14:06 ]

K

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention our sponsor: Tiki Magazine

Thanks TM!

Ahu

is it possible to get one of those mugs before the show?

K

Uhm.. (I thought we weren't going to do that?)

Uh.. yes. Yes it is possible. The unfinished sculpture you saw there has been completed and sent to the ceramicist. We will have a finished proof in about 3 weeks. Once we have that we can take photos, and once that is done the #0 proof will be going up on eBay. There will only be 150 of these made in two glaze options: 75 with a flat black outside and shiny red inside, and 75 with a red outside and shiny black inside. And all of them will be numbered in the piece itself (not written on, molded in).

So the #0 proof will be the rarest of oddballs.

I'll post a pic here when it is done. In the meantime Chisel, I'll get you all set up with one.

Ahu

K

And since a pic of the unfinished sculpt has already been posted, I might as well put these out there:

For those of you who remember the resin tiki "vases" by Harmony Ball last year that you couldn't drink out of.. this mug sculpt was done by the artist that did those: Tony Jacobs

This is his first ceramic mug. So you can drink out of it.

..and the original design was drawn by graphic artist Senpai Lee.

Ahu

thanks.

nice! wish I could come!

T

On 2006-06-27 15:57, Tikiwahine wrote:
nice! wish I could come!

One day the right person will come along and push all the right buttons.

Ahhh haaaaa :roll:

:wink:

I'm a teenage attention whore. Someone please talk to me. See my new pretty dress?

are you at least 18? I'll talk to ya! now, lets see that pretty dress.

flounder is such a slut.

K

I promised pics of the finished Hot Rod Hula Hop mug, and here is that promise delivered:

What you are seeing is the brown outside/red inside version, and the black outside/red inside version. These are 2 of the 3 colors we are doing (there will also be a red otuside/black inside version) and are the test glaze peices.

The whole "chiseled from stone" look that we wanted really came through to the final product, and we are so pleased with it this year. We learned so much after doing last years mug, and this year we put that knowledge to work. The glaze is flawless inside, and they really are unique. Very hefty looking, but they sit nicely on the bar or shelf thanks to the highly tapered bowl shape and the three porcine feet. Holds about 12 ounces. The process minded folk might be interested in knowing that this mug required a five part mold.

We are doing only 150 of them, 50 of each color, and the numbers are in the actual clay itself, not markered on. We are considering an eBay auction of a #0 (and possibly in a special glaze) to help fund the event, so if you want one badly, let me know if this appeals to you. These will be available (provided any are left) at the Hukilau. But they have been selling already, and we may sell out before then. So if you are coming to the HRHH, you may want to email me about reserving them to pick up at the event. They are only $25 each.

I might post a pic of the red/black version later.

Ahu

Those babies look AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

HC

One of each for (3 total)..... for my babe and I..we are so looking forward to coming back to Columbus !

Melissa has her tickets already so I'd better get on the stick (or should she?)..mahalo ,Greg

K

Here's the red one with black interior. So that is the third of three color variations that will be available.

Ahu

Pages: 1 24 replies