Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Wet carving Aerated Concrete?

Pages: 1 6 replies

My name is Wally Fields. You may know me as the "Eichlerholic". I am about to start my aerated concrete carving adventure. Perhaps you've heard of this material.
I wanted to ask if anyone knew if it would harm the concrete to be exposed to some moisture, before sealing. I plan to mist my block before -and during- carving, to alleviate the dust hazard. I'm also wearing a NIOSH mask.
Let me know if you know. Looks like a lot of fun in any case.

I would start with this, and this. there is lots of info on AAC here and lots of great info. There is more , I just did a search for AAC or aerated.

Good luck and post lots of pics

edited to oops I didnt mean to come off that way

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

[ Edited by: rodeotiki 2006-03-21 16:00 ]

Thanks, Tiki Socialite. So far, didn't find anything specifically related to wet carving there, but I'll keep checking.
By the way, for any who'd like to share costs of shipping of AAC blocks, I live in the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA. So let me know!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 22, 2006 4:30 AM

Haven't tried the wet carving, but sounds like a reasonable suggestion. Be carefull of making sludge and that getting into the pores of the AAC too. Let it fuly dry out before sealing.

Hmmm... sludge in the pores. Guess if I wiped the block off periodically. Or sprayed the water pretty hard. Be ironic if sludge were the perfect sealer.

On 2006-03-22 08:02, Eichlerholic wrote:
Hmmm... sludge in the pores. Guess if I wiped the block off periodically. Or sprayed the water pretty hard. Be ironic if sludge were the perfect sealer.

Maybe try blowing the sludge off with compressed air?

Hey Wally:

I carved a piece of AAC when it was damp from rain and i really didn't like the wet texture. i don't think that spraying it down will help much, but experimentation never hurts.

post your results and let us know.

Pages: 1 6 replies