Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Forbidden Island: Buildout Madness Continues!

Pages: 1 29 replies

M

Aloha!

We just said our farewells to the amazing Bamboo Ben yesterday and are moving ever upward and onward. The place is looking better and better each day! Woking with Ben has been a pleasure, and I tip my hat to ya, Mr. B. What's so incredible is his ability to bring my concept to life so vividly- when you explain what you want to do, there's never a "huh?" or an "I don't get it." Just a "yep", and then it happens. It's Boobam magic!

How deep was Ben into this? He slept there! For over a week!

Although, I think it started to get to him...

M

Keep up the good work. Bamboo dust getting to the ole boy, he's batty.

El Martiki, I do appreciate the teaser look; I wouldn't want to see how it all looks before the big event. Said big event which will be happening when I am in town and not out of town. The event in question which shall not take place whilst I am in some other place. I will be around and the event will occur around the time I am.

That'd be groovy.

Travelin' midnite...even as far way as Alameda.

P

Ben, when you need a break, come on down to the Lagoon Lounge.
I promise I won't ask you to do anything but swim, fish, eat and drink.
Bring the whole family.

Sheesh, dude. You've been one busy boy the last 15 months.
Ever thought about employing those energy bomb boys of yours?
Just read between the lines on Bungy's posts... school is for losers. :wink:

Martiki, don't let midnite into your bar.
I think he eats bamboo when there's no eucalyptus available.

I'm looking forward to a trip to Alameda.
It's not far at all...
...from the Oakland airport.

Aloha Tiki Freaks!

Two things kept me from going Totally Insane!!!.

#1. http://www.1077thebone.com

( I think I shocked and horrified Will the Thrill and Monica when I said, Working with Exotica Music? Ya right!! F that!! ) I only had 13 daze to get it done. Needed fast, loud music. Egging on the "Metal Rx" aka Conga Mike, was quite fun too. Made him break out his old collection of Maiden and Priest! A blast from the past!! Watching him play air riffs out of the corner of my eye was classic!!

#2. Almost daily visits to....

The Bay Area has cool old stuff. Big warehouses with lot's o cool old stuff!

Can't wait to see the "finished product." Get to work boys! Arrrrrr!!

Martin, those pics cracked me up. I shampooed 3 times yesterday!!
I felt like Crusty the Clown on the way home! I had to get into it. Needed to feel what it was like being an old' salty rum runner, shipwrecked on a forbidden isle. I think I achieved my goal.

Paplus, mahalos for the offer but I'm off to Kona in May. A working vacation.

Ben & Martin,

I have nothing but respect for the two of you. Fantastic job so far. All my prayers and good thoughts are with you guys to make this a successful venture. Good job!

Sabu

( I think I shocked and horrified Will the Thrill and Monica when I said, Working with Exotica Music? Ya right!! F that!! )

No baby, I was too busy being SHOCKED and AWED by the great work - as long as they're not blasting Pat Benatar on the juke after it actually opens, I don't care what it takes to keep you pounding those nails behind the scenes....don't wanna divulge too much here but from what we've seen so far, this bar will be THE tiki bar in No. Cal, surprassing even Mike's mighty Conga Lounge!

BambooBen, you look fabulously maniacal in those photos. And I mean that as a compliment. You must be having a ton of (hard-working-back-breaking) fun.

-=C

BambooBen,

Its great to see that you use the greatest innovation in tools since the hammer! The Sawsall!

KNOW'S ALL! SEE'S ALL! SAWS ALL!

HH

cant wait....

M

On 2006-03-24 15:18, hula hula wrote:
cant wait....

And you'd better get up here for it, pal! Where you been??

That's looking great!

On 2006-03-24 22:38, martiki wrote:

On 2006-03-24 15:18, hula hula wrote:
cant wait....

And you'd better get up here for it, pal! Where you been??

im gonaa be in SF on 4/20- 4/24 so I hope it opens around then.

Martiki,
Heard you stopped by my business on Tuesday of this week. Sorry I wasn't there. I keep wanting to stop and take a peek inside, on the way to work.

On 2006-03-23 13:46, Cool Manchu wrote:
BambooBen,

Its great to see that you use the greatest innovation in tools since the hammer! The Sawsall!

KNOW'S ALL! SEE'S ALL! SAWS ALL!

Yo Cool!

I just started on the Sawzall ( did a couple for looks) and then...........

...........Mondo/Mongo took over and went to town. I WISH we had taken a photo of him with his gypsy bald ass head and beard filled to the brim of saw dust! He's a nut! A coo coo nut! Classic!

Martin!!? More teaser pics damnit!!!!

Still aiming for the 15th??

Hey Hey Bamboo B, Wow! You are kickin serious okolele! Too bad you cant get frequent tiki miles for all these trips up to Nor Cal. Iam so looking forward to the Grand Openin' of the Forbidden Island! Word is Mr. Smiley is going to smuggle in a Karioke machine. :o

M

On 2006-03-26 13:02, Chongolio wrote:
Hey Hey Bamboo B, Wow! You are kickin serious okolele! Too bad you cant get frequent tiki miles for all these trips up to Nor Cal. Iam so looking forward to the Grand Openin' of the Forbidden Island! Word is Mr. Smiley is going to smuggle in a Karioke machine. :o

Better than that: Three words " J_mmy B_ff_t B_ _mb_x".

Wanna buy a vowel?

On 2006-03-25 21:40, RevBambooBen wrote:
Still aiming for the 15th??

Yes Martin,
Are you able to confirm an opening date yet?

heh heh, I know the opening date.
I just took a few things up there for Martin a few days ago. It's coming along nicely.

More teaser pics (tiki) god, damn it!!

M

Dammit Ben, I don't have anymore right now! It looks about the same. We've been doing plumbing and electrical stuff for a while now. But I just spent yesterday antiquing all the bamboo using patented and top secret bamboo ben technology, and it looks great.

I got your teaser shots right here:

(If you're eating, look away now)

Here's the wall behind the urinal in the men's room. The urinal has been leaking for about, oh, 30 years, and rotted out the sheetrock. Yum!

Here's the floor behind the bar. That's exactly how we found it. Yes, that's a coffee can on the pipes. No, I don't know why. Seriously, I'm guessing it had never, ever, been cleaned.

Here's the back of the bar sinks. If you, like me, ever drank at Lincoln's Address, think about getting some booster shots.

Now, having said that, the transformation is incredible. The bar is spotless with all new tile and a wipeable backsplash, the sinks have been scrubbed spic and span and the rest rooms are all new and gorgeous. You can perform open heart surgery in this place now. And here's two big reasons why:

Our general contractor Christopher Orr! Some of you may have met Chris at any of the last three Tiki Oasis events. He went with Mano and was usually drunk. He knows his way around the plumbing and everything else like nobody's business. He also probably knows a lot about the third set Dark Star and space jam from the 1972 Philadelphia show, but that's another story.

Alberto! Every job needs a Crazy Al, and we've got Alberto Loco. Alberto has handled the most tedious (and most revolting) jobs with a smile and a lot of elbow grease. This guy spent 54 hours doing nothing but splatting cement on the walls. And he hasn't gone on a killing spree yet! That I know about. Today, he spent six hours cleaning out the bar fridges. I don't have a picture, because I was supressing my gag reflex at the time. Alberto es muy brave!

That's all for now- back to work...

PS- look for a date announcement this week, along with details about a special Tiki Central only event!

M

Al Martiki Ben Forbidden Island,

Nice pics!

It's a dirty job, but someone, err uh...you, have to do it. I'm sure it will all be worth it some day, and that day shall be a 17-hour day filled with inumerable demands and headache filled tasks. Such is the life of the entrepreneur, or so I am sorta told or once knew.

You can perform open heart surgery in this place now.

Already took care of that, back in '70. I'm in the Medical Journals, the good ones.

I eagerly await the big events which of course I shall attend because they will take place on days I am here and not not here. The tux is ready, it was my Father's, an old school Polynesian aficionado. Like dear old Dad, and MacArthur before him...I will go to Alameda! No matter the cost, burden, or sacrifice. I just hope I don't get hassled at the border by the man.

Unlike that famous traveler from Alameda, my navigator shan't be Noonan, but Mapquest.

Noonan!
C. midnite Spackler

On 2006-03-27 21:58, martiki wrote:
Here's the back of the bar sinks. If you, like me, ever drank at Lincoln's Address, think about getting some booster shots.

Enjoy Forbidden Island's signature cocktail -- Black Widow's Venom! :lol:

H
hewey posted on Tue, Mar 28, 2006 3:08 AM

Is that the bar behind Christopher? Wow - what a transformation. Cant wait to see it all tiki-fied up.

On 2006-03-28 03:08, hewey wrote:
Is that the bar behind Christopher?

Nope, that's the bathroom...but like the bar (post Bens's work) has been miraculously given a new lease on life!! Witnessing Bamboo Ben work his magic and seeing the bar transform itself from dive to tiki-class has been an incredible experience. Coming soon folks...

Can't wait. Saving my trip to Nor-Cal for the opening!

*On 2006-03-27 21:58, martiki wrote:*Our general contractor Christopher Orr! Some of you may have met Chris at any of the last three Tiki Oasis events... He also probably knows a lot about the third set Dark Star and space jam from the 1972 Philadelphia show, but that's another story.

Hey Now! That's a story I'd love to hear! I'm listening to The Rhythm Devils right now!

P

AHHHHHH,Yuck, how gross . I didn't need to see those pictures. I use to drop in there for a drink or 2 once in a while.. But I will be going in alot more because it will be nice and clean!!

On 2006-04-03 13:33, princessP wrote:
But I will be going in alot more because it will be nice and clean!!

Oh yeah!! We passed our health inspection today with flying colors. The Inspector seemed way pleased. He even cracked a smile and said the bar look great (Coming from a Health Inspector, that means alot!!)

M

PM for you Martiki
Frames for Forbidden Island
Just add Album Covers

Voila !

D

Those frames are sa-weeet!

H

Great frames Monkey!

Pages: 1 29 replies